• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Another FedEx Casualty, needs new-ish CRT

I'm not convinced that there is any significant handling difference between UPS/Fedex/USPS etc. I have received damaged packages from everyone over the years. This includes LaserShip who ran over my package with a forklift, and then called me and asked if they could still deliver it. :cautious:

I'm not convinced that there is any significant handling difference between UPS/Fedex/USPS etc. I have received damaged packages from everyone over the years. This includes LaserShip who ran over my package with a forklift, and then called me and asked if they could still deliver it. :cautious:
Always comes down to the local hubs and your driver IMHO. UPS and USPS at least pay fairly IMHO, FedEx is... meh, and lasership is hot garbage to work for. I have a friend who's been in leadership positions at UPS, FedEx, and Lasership; Lasership was an absolute horror show.

I would second that I on a macro scale I doubt there's a ton of difference between shipping companies; they all have their bad apples, and if you give any of them a package that's not packed properly it's only divine providence that's going to let it survive to the far side. (Miracles do happen, but relying on them is generally a mistake.)

I would second that I on a macro scale I doubt there's a ton of difference between shipping companies; they all have their bad apples, and if you give any of them a package that's not packed properly it's only divine providence that's going to let it survive to the far side. (Miracles do happen, but relying on them is generally a mistake.)
The belts that move ground packages around those facilities are not friendly, there is definitely a reason they publish packing guidelines and specifications.

To quote my good friend, who essentially ran FedEX home delivery after leaving UPS, "Fedex is just like UPS, except UPS has standards."

I have one from a Model II, same designation (RCA etc.). It is not new or newish; it may have some screen burn on the top line or two. If you can't find anything better you can PM me.

-CH-

Always comes down to the local hubs and your driver IMHO. UPS and USPS at least pay fairly IMHO, FedEx is... meh, and lasership is hot garbage to work for. I have a friend who's been in leadership positions at UPS, FedEx, and Lasership; Lasership was an absolute horror show.
Ding ding ding ... we have a winner!

Had someone I shipped to who had much bad luck with USPS recently, while I've sent 1000+ via USPS First Class Package / Priority this year - no reports of damage, or loss.

YMMV

Ding ding ding ... we have a winner!

Had someone I shipped to who had much bad luck with USPS recently, while I've sent 1000+ via USPS First Class Package / Priority this year - no reports of damage, or loss.

YMMV
I send probably 100-200 packages a year, 98% with USPS. The only package I had lost/missing in the last 2 years was marked delivered and stolen from the buyers porch. Thankfully it was just a set of EPROMS and not something unobtanium.

I probably send over a thousand first class packages a year as well.. Most no problem. A small percentage get delays or lost for a bit. But in the past month chaos. Look at these two. One going to TX ends up in Puerto rico the other going to VA ends up in san diego. Keep in mind I am shipping from New England.

These are just the ones I currently have in transit. In the past month I have had about 3 or 4 returned to me for no reason so I had to buy a new label to ship them back out or some get delayed for weeks going back and forth across the country before showing up. both of these kind of hit that mark too.

I think you guys are right, no matter who the carrier is. Even the US government.. Noone cares about the delivery if its not mummified in tomb when you ship it the meth heads deliverying it are going to destroy it.

Last edited:
Note also that CRT's should *always* be shipped with the screen facing down. The weight of the yoke hanging on the neck (the most fragile part of the tube) is an invitation to bust it off with a good jolt on a CRT in normal viewing position (screen facing forward). That picture was painful to look at.

Not that there's any guarantee that UPS/USPS/Fedex/whoever will honor a "THIS SIDE UP" label but it's worth doing anyway.

Note also that CRT's should *always* be shipped with the screen facing down.
This is an absolute necessity. I have been saying this for years so thanks for admitting this as well.

I honestly dont think the weight of the yoke is the factor; rather the weight of the whole tube pulling on soft plastic mounts is what breaks them free. Alleviate the pulling by laying it flat and it has a much higher success rate. This is how I ship all CRTs, especially the international shipments.

Last edited:
Just to throw gas on the fire. Fedex pulled up to my house 10 minutes ago in one of thier full size panel trucks. Guy was here all but 2 minutes. Parked went in back to get the box, and threw it onto my driveway with enough force to make me wonder what he had delivered as I wasnt expecting anything over the size of a bottle of vitamins. My office window is above the driveway on the second floor so I saw and heard the whole thing. I went out to get the box and discovered it was a brand new laptop a family member has bought for my son for christmas...

Again the driver threw it on the ground! If they hate thier job so much why dont they do the adult thing and F$%king quit! Stop taking it out on peoples stuff.

If they hate thier job so much why dont they do the adult thing and F$%king quit! Stop taking it out on peoples stuff.
Agree.

Peak Season is brutal. At least UPS usually gives their drivers a 2nd person in the truck this time of year.

That 'risk' is part of why I try to use services that pay well and treat people well. Certainly not an excuse for people who damage stuff, I just try to avoid it. But some places like my cell provider will -only- send stuff fedex, resulting in at least 2 stolen sim cards >_<

Heh, that's how FedEx "delivers" most of our packages here. They all suck in various ways, but FedEx is definitely the winner in this area when it comes to testing the ability of a package to survive re-entry.

I still prefer fedex to UPS, As stated in my other post UPS is just the worst. I just wont use them at all anymore for my day to day shipping. But I am sure its all regional when you look at it. Whats true in one place is the opposite in another. There are no absolutes, we all draw conclusions from experience.

Just to throw gas on the fire. Fedex pulled up to my house 10 minutes ago in one of thier full size panel trucks. Guy was here all but 2 minutes. Parked went in back to get the box, and threw it onto my driveway with enough force to make me wonder what he had delivered as I wasnt expecting anything over the size of a bottle of vitamins. My office window is above the driveway on the second floor so I saw and heard the whole thing. I went out to get the box and discovered it was a brand new laptop a family member has bought for my son for christmas...

Again the driver threw it on the ground! If they hate thier job so much why dont they do the adult thing and F$%king quit! Stop taking it out on peoples stuff.
Did the laptop survive?

The box is super light, meaning whoever bought it bought him an ultralight... Gift was obviously very nice, the ultra light... was just a stupid choice... Very few people need a laptop that thin and small.. Of course is fragile.

If they dont come to me for computer advice,, I dont touch it with a 20 foot pole so.. I guess we will see when he unwraps it.

I’ve heard some vague horror stories about how FedEx subcontracts its delivery services to the lowest bidders, but I can’t say I know anything about it...

That said, I kind of wonder if they might have fired whoever they were using locally after complaints. Until recently you could always tell if FedEx was delivering nearby because they were using this beat up panel van that sounded like some teenager’s mid-80’s Camaro, and I can attest to witnessing some… less than careful drop offs. The last few times I’ve seen them, however, it’s been a different driver (who seemed very professional) in a brand-new truck. So, yeah, maybe their last contractor finally crossed a line even FedEx couldn’t stomach? Or maybe the old truck finally dumped its guts on the pavement, no idea.

I’ve heard some vague horror stories about how FedEx subcontracts its delivery services to the lowest bidders, but I can’t say I know anything about it...
I know all about it but this pretty well sums it up.

You can see on some of the first hand looking fedex trucks the contractor name.

Back