• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any good resources for "near vintage" computing?

Coder

Experienced Member
I recently picked up a Sony VAIO PVC-W20. It's a Windows XP era P4 all-in-one. This era of computer is currently not considered vintage-enough to merit a post on sites like this, but is also old enough that finding original software for them is getting difficult. There are no ISO's of the original recovery discs available on the web. Sony no longer sells them. Sony also wiped their site of any drivers/software from before Windows 7. Sure, you can get XP ISO's easily enough, but all of the specialized drivers and software are nowhere to be found. Software that controls the very functions that make it unique.

The keyboard folds up flat against the screen, leaving the top quarter exposed. When folded like this, the remaining portion of the screen becomes an animated clock or a music player utilizing Sony's SonicStage app. All of this is handled by a small application that runs in the system tray. If you don't have it, this feature won't work. There are also several programmable "action buttons" that need another small application. I have been unable to find either of these.

Is there a site like VCFed that caters to the Windows XP era machines? I haven't found a good fit yet. There's generalized forums like Tom's Hardware and gaming focused sites like VOGONS, but I'm looking for a place dedicated to preserving information and sharing resources for these machines before we lose it all. I feel like we've already lost a great deal from this time period. Just try googling anything XP related. Most of its gone. All those old forum posts we did 20 years ago have been wiped to save database space. Manufacturers, becoming more and more risk adverse, have started purging old drivers now that XP is a "security risk". I think that this era may become even harder to restore when they finally are old enough to be considered "vintage-enough". At least in the 80s and early 90s, things were on physical media. You didn't download software and drivers. You sent off for them or bought them in a store. So we constantly find long-lost disks hiding in someone's attic or storage area. Large warehouses of long defunct service centers suddenly reveal a cache of hard to find hardware and software. Once the internet age started, a lot of that vanished. Now we rely on someone making an effort to back up things they downloaded or hope the recovery partition works well enough to make a set of discs to image.

Anyway, that was supposed to be a quick "where can I go". I got a little off in the weeds there. Here's some pics of the computer, just because I think it's super cool and I want to show it off :)

20230825_133728.jpg

20230825_133857.jpg

they go out to 2nd and 3rd generation here, I don't see what the big deal would be adding P4 20 years out now

Vogons has a number of threads on the P4 running XP. That seems to be the best place for machines more modern than covered here but not exactly new. I have absolutely no idea of any site storing Sony specific drivers. If someone manages to find one, I would be interested in hearing about. I have my own aging Sony machine.

they go out to 2nd and 3rd generation here, I don't see what the big deal would be adding P4 20 years out now
I don't either. I kinda get wanting to keep "vintage" truly vintage. But how old and difficult to maintain does something need to be before it's "vintage"?

Vogons has a number of threads on the P4 running XP. That seems to be the best place for machines more modern than covered here but not exactly new. I have absolutely no idea of any site storing Sony specific drivers. If someone manages to find one, I would be interested in hearing about. I have my own aging Sony machine.
I'll give them a shot. I've seen a few threads while researching computers that put me off of trying them. Lots of "this is a gaming site" sorts of comments. My Sony and it's SIS 650 based graphics are decidedly not for gaming lol.

It’s certainly a pretty machine, shame Sony decided to just leave you SOL. I mean, sure, computationally it’s a doorstop but some of those early 2000’s VAIOs blur the line between home computers and entertainment systems.

If it were mine I’d probably try seeing if anyone had ever gone through the agony of figuring out how to read its special buttons and keyboard flip-up switches under Linux, and then several hours later no doubt end up questioning all my life choices after finding out none of it works anymore without massive reengineering because it all relies on stuff most distributions phased out a decade ago.

It’s certainly a pretty machine, shame Sony decided to just leave you SOL. I mean, sure, computationally it’s a doorstop but some of those early 2000’s VAIOs blur the line between home computers and entertainment systems.

If it were mine I’d probably try seeing if anyone had ever gone through the agony of figuring out how to read its special buttons and keyboard flip-up switches under Linux, and then several hours later no doubt end up questioning all my life choices after finding out none of it works anymore without massive reengineering because it all relies on stuff most distributions phased out a decade ago.
I've thought about playing with Linux on it. Just to get a OS that might be able to actually handle going online without leaving me to open to attack. But from what I've read Linux doesn't play very nice with sis chipsets. I may play around with detecting the button presses and keyboard closure myself. A lot depends on how much Sony locked things down.

The only XP machine I keep around now is a Vaio tower that was given to me. It came with dual optical drives, firewire, and all sorts of media stuff (TV tuner, AV in, memory card slots/CF slot). It's also a P4. The only upgrades I've done are an SSD (IDE to SATA) and adding a USB 2.0 PCI card. I should add more RAM but it runs ScummVM with a real roland MT32 just fine, and that's my main use for it. So I guess as mentioned previously the VOGONS forums may be a good resource for this era machine.

I've thought about playing with Linux on it. Just to get a OS that might be able to actually handle going online without leaving me to open to attack.

Unfortunately I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that on mainline Linux the modern web is hopeless on anything less than a Core Duo, but I guess your mileage might vary based on how patient you are. There are some lightweight browsers that are… usable, on my old 1.4mhz Pentium M beater laptop, so maybe it might be worth experimenting.

A SIS chipset, huh? With integrated video? Ugh, if the latter.

The sad fact is that lightweight browsers for the modern Web are pretty much nonexistent. One thing that will get you is most require at least SSE2-capable CPUs, although there's a version of Pale Moon that's been tailored not to use it. I used to use a very old version of Opera on a P1, but that's pretty much useless today.

It won't be too long where a 64-bit CPU is the minimum price of admission.

Unfortunately I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that on mainline Linux the modern web is hopeless on anything less than a Core Duo, but I guess your mileage might vary based on how patient you are. There are some lightweight browsers that are… usable, on my old 1.4mhz Pentium M beater laptop, so maybe it might be worth experimenting.

A SIS chipset, huh? With integrated video? Ugh, if the latter.
I disagree completely.... Funny old thing that....

OP pop on over to vogons.org. You''ll like it there. There is a complete subsection for older hardware and softwarenot just games. https://www.vogons.org/viewforum.php?f=60

Last edited:
That's pretty neat. It's a "kitchen computer" I think. It's meant to sit on the counter for housewives to use, back when those existed, and before everyone had an iPhone.

Looks like you found the perfect spot in your kitchen.

I think Vogons is good for XP systems. Yes, it is tilted for gamers but there are also some hardware nerds on there.

Maybe this:

Lot's of old MS software stuff there, including XP in the Older NT Family forums.

Seaken

Very cool looking machine. SONY made some interesting custom computers. The only VAIO I have is the very first desktop a PCV-70 and the restore CDs for that are up on archive.org.

Don't know if anyone's interested.

I've still got a SONY VAIO laptop from about 2000, although it's 'dead'! Was working OK, then ceased. I was told it was something on the MB close to the main power switch, and it was not practical to fix.

Machine loaded with XP, and YES, I had created the Recovery/Backup CDs, which I still have. I removed the HD, which is still working fine, all the original stuff is still there.

Main 'novelty', the machine included a 3.5" FDD, which was unusual even then. A solid, well made FDD. That's why I got this machine.

Oh, it's heavy! They all were back then?

Geoff

Back