• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any recommendations for a good DOS file manager?

Volkov Commander is a super fast, memory efficient & free Norton clone. Mostly ASM I think.

Why not using the original, if promoting the side by side mode?

Norton Commander

NC newer versions even supports serial and parallel port (laplink cable) support for file fiewing and transfer between two computers.NC is mostly my favorite, specially when typing mode co80,50 before starting it. If you need even more screen space, try DCC on VGA machines (but it does not support link to other PCs).

I used Xtree or Xtree Gold in Dos because it had a command PRUNE in which you could delete the whole directory including the nestled directories within it as well as all the hidden files within them.Other file managers I had use prior would refused to to delete a directory if there was any content in it.

I used Xtree or Xtree Gold in Dos because it had a command PRUNE in which you could delete the whole directory including the nestled directories within it as well as all the hidden files within them.Other file managers I had use prior would refused to to delete a directory if there was any content in it.

For the record so does QDOS.

Can someone explain the appeal of a dos file manager to me? Is the dos command line really that hard to use?

How many of the above understand DOS 7+ long file names?

CLI is the basic interface to many operating systems (Unix/Linux) DOS, OS/2, even Windows NT and 9x. It's pretty much all I've ever used when developing code.

The two I used most back in the day were QDOS II (already mentioned), and PathMinder.

Under DOS 7+ or FeeDOS, I get a list of the 8.3 "mangled" names.
That is, instead of "Development" I get "DEVEL~YX"; if I type "cd Development", of course that works.

Debian Linux gives you a list of names after the second tab press--it's just as easy to use wildcards there. Of course, wildcards don't work the same in DOS--I can't say "cd Dev*" and expect anything but an error.

That is, instead of "Development" I get "DEVEL~YX"; if I type "cd Development", of course that works.

Debian Linux gives you a list of names after the second tab press--it's just as easy to use wildcards there. Of course, wildcards don't work the same in DOS--I can't say "cd Dev*" and expect anything but an error.

A long file name under QDOS with give you "YadaYaY~". Note the "~". It will in no way change or alter the original file name.

A long file name under QDOS with give you "YadaYaY~". Note the "~". It will in no way change or alter the original file name.

On DOS, I suppose that it boils down to "Do any of these file managers have the smarts to use the extended name APIs?" (i.e. DOS interrup 21h, 71xx calls). Evidently not.

Can someone explain the appeal of a dos file manager to me? Is the dos command line really that hard to use?

For me, it comes down to "Where did I put that?" or "Which is the most up to date?" or Which has the feature I need now?".
I could spend hour at the command line and still miss one path. If all I did was run code from various vendors, the command line would be fine. I write many tools I use, myself. I do this because I often ask for things that are not always included in the commercially available tools. I do this because I can.
Some times, I need to find a particular feature that I used in a special case. I need to find that version and it may not be the most current version. Although, not good file management, I tend to copy tools to the current working project directory and modify them as I need for that project.
Using a tool like Xtree, I can keep my bad habits and still be productive.
Dwight

What happens if you type "cd dev", press tab, and then press enter?

You can say "cd dev*" in linux only if there aren't multiple directories which begin with "dev". For example, in my /usr directory, I have this:
Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-06-11 14-07-33.png Views:	0 Size:	66.2 KB ID:	1212282
If I were to say, "cd lib*" and press enter I would get response "bash: cd: too many arguments" because the shell would automatically expand that expression to "cd lib lib32 lib64 libexec libx32". If I type "cd lib" and press tab nothing will happen because there are multiple possibilities. If I then press tab twice, it will show me my options. If, after seeing my options, I then type "3", making my command "cd lib3" and press tab, it completes to "cd lib32/" and I can press enter. This is a pretty simple example given that the file names are all short but the same approach works with longer names. I usually find myself doing this:
1) Type "cd " and the first few characters and press tab
2) If a slash appears at the end of the name, then there were no ambiguities and I can press enter
3) If a slash does not appear at the end of the name then there is an ambiguity and I press tab twice more to see my options
4) Type another character from the folder I want and repeat steps 2 and 3 as necessary

I can only test in Dosbox at the moment but DOS tab completion seems to be very similar to Linux except that, when you press tab twice, instead of showing you your options, it automatically expands to your first option and you just press tab repeatedly until you see the folder you want and then press enter. I tend to prefer the Linux approach but both work just fine.
Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-06-11 14-31-37.png Views:	0 Size:	18.1 KB ID:	1212283

This seems to hold true even with really long file names, at least in Dosbox:
Screenshot from 2021-06-11 14-39-51.png

If I type "cd r", press tab twice, and press enter, I find myself in the second folder.
Screenshot from 2021-06-11 14-42-33.png

Volkov Commander is a super fast, memory efficient & free Norton clone. Mostly ASM I think.

Volkov is nice, but I still prefer, the original Norton Commander because it contains serial/parallel port file transfer. And together with the Norton Utilities tools collection it is unbeatable. The other one I like, spcially on VGA machines is DCC, the nice thing on this is that it supports VGA text modes bigger than 80x25 / 80x50.

Under *nix, using wildcards is an art. If I typed "cd l*32", I would get what I wanted for "lib32".

I guess you have to live in CLI mode to appreciate it. The nuances of the *nix "find" command, for example, don't have any corresponding facility in GUI.

This seems to hold true even with really long file names, at least in Dosbox:

If I type "cd r", press tab twice, and press enter, I find myself in the second folder.

Yup. Utility not recent or smart enough to first try the 71xxh API. Even when running in non-Windows MSDOS 7.x CLI, I make sure that my AUTOEXEC.BAT contains DOSLFN

On DOS, I suppose that it boils down to "Do any of these file managers have the smarts to use the extended name APIs?" (i.e. DOS interrupt 21h, 71xx calls). Evidently not.

One thing here is that in their heyday these old file managers were mainly dealing with "12345678.XXX". Their usefulness dwindled with the advent of Windows except maybe for the hardrock DOS people of the day.

Back