• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone else a member of PayPal who has lost access to thier funds in the past 2 days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watch (well mostly listen) 80's era youtube videos most of the day with no ads using uBlock Origin installed on Edge browser.

After a long while playback will stop and there will be a message of do you want to continue watching.

uBlock Origin will block youtube ad "videos." What it can't block are those stupid sponsored segments, where suddenly the host starts blathering about ridge wallet or league of legends or some other crap...

uBlock Origin will block youtube ad "videos." What it can't block are those stupid sponsored segments, where suddenly the host starts blathering about ridge wallet or league of legends or some other crap..
Thats because its part of the video but god I wish It could. Makes me really respect the 8Bit guy for saving us from having to deal with that crap in his videos.

Thats because its part of the video but god I wish It could. Makes me really respect the 8Bit guy for saving us from having to deal with that crap in his videos.
Wait until YT nukes his ad revenue for no apparent reason, leaving him with no choice but to start doing sponsorships if he wants to sustain his channel as a career...

YouTube either doesn't realize or (more likely) doesn't care that demonetizing 90% of a creator's videos leaves them with no choice but to take up sponsorships, which also in turn reduces the quality of their content because no one wants to sit through that garbage. Of course these decisions are fantastic from a business perspective because the average YT viewer doesn't give a s**t about how poorly run the site is, and those that do have nowhere else to go. The heart and soul of YouTube are loooong gone.

I get the feeling like hes very quickly approaching being burnt out.. hes not that subtle about dropping clues. I see him taking a hiatus before doing ads.. I think his hobby has become work. There just isnt the same enthusiasm as in the past and iunderstand why. He has taken on too much.

Well I use Safari so maybe that's why it don't work. uBlock.origin says it works with Safari before 13.0. I am on 16+.

I just have to chime in how evil requiring a cell phone verification, especially with no other options, is.

After many years I finally got access to my old Youtube (now Gurgle) account. Google finally added the ability to call a proper telephone ("landline" as the kids call them these days). As much as I hate giving them a telephone number, at least that works for me. As soon as I can get off my arse to post the videos elsewhere, I plan on deleting them off of butfirstandunskippableadvertismentTube.
If you think the term 'landline' is bad, you'll be even more saddened to hear that much of Gen Alpha (and some of the latter part of Gen Z) don't even know what a home telephone is anymore.

I closed my PayPal account last year - and it took me months just to log in to be able to close the damn thing. They started demanding mobile phone verification to log in and I don't own a mobile phone. There was no way to bypass. Their "contact us" is an exercise in frustration and gets nowhere. (I don't need a f-ing FAQ!!)

One day (after 5 months or so) I casually tried logging in expecting the usual crap, but I didn't get the security prompt. I wasted no time in closing the account.

Screw them.
Not really unique. Changes to banking rules require two channel verification. PayPal in the UK will either text me or phone me. When it phones it uses my landline number (well from tomorrow it will be a VoIP number, but that is another story). If you think that is bad you should see the loop I am in trying to top up my Spanish PAYG mobile. It wants a Spanish banks card and my Spanish bank card needs my mobile to be working.....

uBlock Origin will block youtube ad "videos." What it can't block are those stupid sponsored segments, where suddenly the host starts blathering about ridge wallet or league of legends or some other crap...
I wouldn't want to use the internet without Adblock Plus. I haven't seen a single YouTube commercial - ever. As for the sponsored crap, I'm always quick on the forward arrow. The second somebody starts talking about their sponsor, I press forward as fast as I can. I see brief flashes, hear bits of audio that would make Max Headroom proud, then get to the spot where the real video continues.

If you think the term 'landline' is bad, you'll be even more saddened to hear that much of Gen Alpha (and some of the latter part of Gen Z) don't even know what a home telephone is anymore.

This is the actual phone I use, made in 1953. I'm thinking of taking it somewhere they say to "scan the QR code with your phone", then ask a millennial why it's not working.

53WE500.jpg

Do you not use adblockers? I dont watch or listen to commercials... Anywhere
You missed the point. *I* use ad blockers, but the rest of the world does not. I do not approve of Youtube inserting anything before/after/inside MY videos when other people watch them.

I did not even approve of that "auto play" crap they shoved down everyones throat a long time ago. The page would play my Microsoft-bashing video then start playing some pro-Microsoft crap video, while making it sort of look like it was still part of my video. I was tempted to add in a disclamer at the end of my videos stating that anything it played next may not represent my views.

When I see other people watch videos on Youtube or similar sites, they don't use ad blockers, they believe ad-blockers might get them in to trouble, and they will just calmly sit through advertisments even if they can skip them. Even extra-annoying or inappopriate ones. We live in a world full of cows. I hate this planet.

You missed the point. *I* use ad blockers, but the rest of the world does not. I do not approve of Youtube inserting anything before/after/inside MY videos when other people watch them.

I did not even approve of that "auto play" crap they shoved down everyones throat a long time ago. The page would play my Microsoft-bashing video then start playing some pro-Microsoft crap video, while making it sort of look like it was still part of my video. I was tempted to add in a disclamer at the end of my videos stating that anything it played next may not represent my views.

When I see other people watch videos on Youtube or similar sites, they don't use ad blockers, they believe ad-blockers might get them in to trouble, and they will just calmly sit through advertisments even if they can skip them. Even extra-annoying or inappopriate ones. We live in a world full of cows. I hate this planet.
I have no time to have a bleeding heart for the misinformed when living in this world is already a challenge for me. Let them figure it out as I have or suffer... These are the same people who still pay for cable so F*ck them for being behind the times, I figured out how to not deal with ads, they can to. The more of us fight against it, the better off we all will be.

By the way, 3rd day of calling paypal. At lease I got a very pleasant woman on the phone. Now they want a bank statement (from the bank I have paypal set to transfer money to). Again the absurdity is I dont use paypal hardly ever to receive money. ITs all done on ebay for the most part. So they sent me a bombardment of questions like "Have your prices changed? "Why the strange increase in activity" {This one kills me.. A member for 24 years and USING thier service is deemed strange activity.. maybe thier right. What the hell was I thinkking?} and "What is your projected future income on paypal"

I assure you all, once I have my money I am closing the account. Communist basterdz

Good luck, @VERAULT. I had this happen over a year ago, exactly as out of the blue as in your case. I had been using it only very lightly for years - much less frequently than when I first opened the account. Luckily I didn't have any funds seized 'frozen', but I was barred from future transactions until I provided that arbitrary set of details to them.

I did try the phone call route, but couldn't get a hold of anyone (granted, those were still the days of COVID-induced incompetence). Eventually I said screw it - I've got better things to do with my life. As far as I know the account is still "limited", and maybe even "further limited". In the very few cases since then where I absolutely needed Paypal (perhaps twice), I did it through friends/family who evidently didn't come up in their "fraud protection through random customer harassment" lottery.

Since then, I recall reading of at least two instances where they tried to sneak things into their terms of service which basically meant "we can unilaterally decide to screw you over and fine you for arbitrary reasons that have nothing to do with your Paypal activity". So my motivation for using their services hasn't exactly gone back up.

Does pulse dialing still work???
Yeah, I used to run into it all the time switching landlines to voip back in the day.

I guess I will explore other ways of paying for certain products that have gone with exclusive Paypal instead of starting up the account I have let lay fallow for the several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back