• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.
  • Here are the results of the VCF East 2022 Post Event Survey: Survey Results

Anyone got a NeXT cube with a functioning MO drive?

NeXT

Veteran Member
Last I remember there was ONE and exactly ONE (1) guy on nextcomputers.org that had a working drive and was offering a MO dump service.
In theory though you can get your own working if you recap the bloody thing but nobody has ever done the job.

NeXT

Veteran Member
When I dismantled mine I found all the caps (tiny through-hole radials) on the motor control board had failed, which would explain why even NOS drives were winding up dead.

P1010905.jpg

There are a few more elsewhere in the drive so it's entirely possible that replacing them will bring most of the drives back. The rest might have trouble with rumored cloudy optics.

NeXT

Veteran Member
I unfortunately can't help you with that however I'm sure someone else between the two forums can offer their donor drive. Most people now are replacing the MO with CD anyways.

joekster

Experienced Member
While I doubt its compatible, I do have a working pinnacle micro apex 4.6g MO. I know it can read 650mb MO disks. If you can give me some guidance, I'd be happy to dump your disks.

Chuck(G)

25k Member
No--I have one of those also--along with both 1024 and 512-byte sector media. The NeXT stuff is quite different.

The more I read the Cube information, the worse the thing looks. Nobody seems to have any good idea of why the Canon drives fail--just a lot of guesses. The NeXT disks/discs were 256 MB, not standard 650 ones. Internal documentation on the NeXT box seems close to non-existent.