• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone recognise this Philips 5 1/4 floppy drive ?

zippysticks

Veteran Member
As shown in photos, its a model X-3112 which does not 'Google' well.

I wondered if anyone recognised the mechanism and electronics as it may be another manufacturer rebadged.

Thanks

Thanks
PXL_20240208_202648409.jpgPXL_20240208_202642864.jpgPXL_20240208_202636097.MP.jpg

Disk Trends has it as a 5.25" 40 track double density drive. Doesn't look like there is much that can be done with the jumpers since the other solder points don't have pins. Hopefully, it is set correctly. Philips did manufacture their own drives.

Thanks - what is 'Disk Tends' please ? Its not something I have heard of.

The drive seems to work ok as drive 0, 40 track double sided double density (it has a terminating resistor pack installed) when connected to my Kryoflux. Was looking for any config info,
There are six sets of jumpers (plus one hard wired - and as you point out a bunch of solder pads) and I have no idea what they are for.

regards

Disk Trends was a marketing forecast company that specialized in floppy drives and hard drives. They provided estimates of drives sold each year and a list of drive models. I use it for an initial check for drive type since it includes many manufacturers that more detailed sites don't bother with. Doesn't help with repairing drives though.

The only thing I could find was this page in german:

It is easy to tell that this drive was European made, despite some American IC's. The clear blue sleeved electrolytic capacitors are Philips parts as are the yellow film capacitors. The green film types are ERO, common in European designs. Many of the transistors have the markings on the top surface, characteristic of Philips transistors of this era. Also, of you look on the bottom R hand edge of the pcb, those orange top grey ceramic capacitors are classic Philips parts. The resistors and signal diodes are Philips too.

Also, if you look at the pcb globally, the component layout is exceptionally orderly, this is typical of Philips designs. It is actually a really good thing, and a drive like this is well worth keeping and repairing. The Blue Tant caps may require replacing, but nothing else most likely.

Something is going on with one of the resistors which needs to be checked in case there is a defect.

Attachments

• Check.jpg
    Check.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
The only thing I could find was this page in german:
Wunderbar ! Thats really useful - thanks. Gives some insight into the jumper config for drive selection and seems to indicated there is a schematic available for the drive.

Back