• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apollo 200 series server

norwestrzh

Experienced Member
I have an Apollo 200. It is 68040 based at 25 MHz. The label on the front claims 28 MB. I hooked up a Wyse terminal (@9600) to the connector on the back ("RS-232") and it displays a series of POST messages. Everything "PASSES" with the exception of things that are "ABSENT", so I think all is OK with this beast (steel case makes it *very* heavy). The hard drive had been removed when I got it. At the end of the POST, it goes to the on-board LAN and says "Seeking partner ....". Since there is no LAN present on the box, it complains: "xmit error: 802.3: failed; data OK" endlessly.

Anybody know about Apollo? Is there a magic key combination to break out of the POST stuff, and start a monitor, or some sort of diagnostic feature? In looking through the code in the EPROM (Intel D27C220), I can find a table of ASCII opcodes, and mention of breakpoints. I know it was used to run HP-UX, but I have no interest in that. It does have a SCSI port, so maybe use a "Blue SCSI" to run more modern software on it? In order to do anything with it, I think I would first need to be able to use the firmware to poke around in this thing?

Any Apollo experts out there?

Roger

Back