• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AT&T UNIX PC enthusiasts out there?

How is the manual bound? I have a BW/Greyscale sheet-feed scanner that makes quick work of individual pages. I've also had good success with pulling off and replacing those plastic bindings with a zillion fingers. If you scan length-wise and rotate in software they feed reliably. Drop a PM if you want to talk more.

The Ethernet card does work, but the tcp/ip stack is bananas. Doesn't seem to even have a DNS resolver, need to fix that at some point. But sending files via FTP is *MUCH* faster than trying to do it with the serial port.

The Ethernet card does work, but the tcp/ip stack is bananas. Doesn't seem to even have a DNS resolver, need to fix that at some point. But sending files via FTP is *MUCH* faster than trying to do it with the serial port.
The network stack is typical for its day. During the early years of the internet it was sufficient to have a canonical list of host-name to ip address mappings (/etc/hosts) that everyone shared.

4.1.4, but as far as I can tell DNS resolution has to be configured through the Yellow Pages service (or if not the documentation is very not clear on that,) and I never quite wrapped my head around that. (I only use it for FTP to a static IP address anyway.)

Sun had a writeup for enabling dns lookups without NIS/YP on SunOS 4.something.something -- I can't recall exactly which versions of SunOS it worked on. And it only MOSTLY worked as there are a few statically linked executables that do hostname lookups. Here's a copy of the Sun procedure that I found at https://forums.irixnet.org/thread-52-post-327.html#pid327 and https://gist.github.com/ajacocks/81421910d80383f8a7ac71515ee4b366.
SRDB ID: 3886

SYNOPSIS: Using DNS without NIS

DETAIL DESCRIPTION:

Want to use DNS, but not NIS

SOLUTION SUMMARY:

MAKING A LIBC.SO for DNS without NIS

This is a procedure that can be used to add name resolver
routines into shared libc library in SunOS_4.1.

First load "SHLIB CUSTOM" either from SunInstall or from
add_services.

Besure to have the file /etc/resolv.conf configured
properly. Test this with /usr/etc/nslookup.

1. Become super user:

% su (if necessary)

2. Make a temporary directory:

% cd /usr/lib/shlib.etc
% mkdir tmp

3. Change to the "tmp" directory just made, extract the pic .o from
libc_pic.a and rm the file __.SYMDEF. The reason you need to do
the 2 "mv" commands is because "ar" truncated filenames over
16 characters.

% cd tmp
% ar x ../libc_pic.a
% rm __.SYMDEF
% mv rpc_dtablesize. rpc_dtablesize.o
% mv rpc_commondata. rpc_commondata.o
% ar x /usr/lib/libresolv.a

The libresolv.a (apparently) contains object modules position independant,
so they can be added to the libc_pic modules without fear.

4. Remove the old routine to do the hostname/addr resolution:

% rm gethostent.o

5. Remove the libresolv module that contains `strncasecmp' (which is now
in the main C library, so it is redundant):

% rm strcasecmp.o

6. % cd ..

7. Copy lorder-sparc to lorder-sparc.orig. Edit the file lorder-sparc and
remove the reference to `gethostent.o' and add the references to the
resolver library routines by applying this patch:

remove : gethostent.o

add : gethostnamadr.o
sethostent.o
res_query.o
res_mkquery.o
res_send.o
res_debug.o
res_comp.o
res_init.o

% diff -rc2 lorder-sparc.orig lorder-sparc
*** lorder-sparc.orig Thu Feb 8 05:27:46 1990
--- lorder-sparc Mon Apr 9 12:58:59 1990
*** 150,154 ****
getwd.o
getnetgrent.o
! gethostent.o
ypxdr.o
ttyname.o
--- 150,161 ----
getwd.o
getnetgrent.o
! gethostnamadr.o
! sethostent.o
! res_query.o
! res_mkquery.o
! res_send.o
! res_debug.o
! res_comp.o
! res_init.o
ypxdr.o
ttyname.o

8. % make libc.so

9. Now some libc.so.x.y.z built in the current directory. It is recommended
that you test out this library at this point before installing it. Can do
so by setting the environment LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the current directory, for
example:

% setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH `pwd`
% your_favorite_test_cmd (ie. ping, ftp, telnet)

Once satisfied that the new library worked, proceed to install it with the
following commands:

% cp libc.so.x.y.z /usr/lib
% ldconfig
% unsetenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH

10. Now running with the new library. Verify this by doing a trace command
of let's say "date".

% trace date

The output should inform you that the new library is being used.

BUG REPORT ID: n/a
PATCH ID: n/a
PRODUCT AREA: n/a
PRODUCT: DNS
SUNOS RELEASE: SunOS 4.1
UNBUNDLED RELEASE: n/a
HARDWARE: n/a

I have used this procedure back when I was first a sysadmin for a couple of SunOS 4.x.x SPARCstations. You could also try to do this with resolv+ or newer version of BIND (e.g, BIND 4.9.3) but I'm not sure if you'll be able to track down what is needed for that. If you want to try the resolv+ / newer BIND way, check out the answer to the first question ("How to get DNS working when not running NIS?") in the comp.sys.sun FAQ http://www.faqs.org/faqs/comp-sys-sun-faq/. resolv+ will get you newer versions of the name resolution routines than are supplied by Sun, if you can find the resolv+ or old BIND distributions. I have no idea if or when BIND stopped supporting SunOS 4.1.4.

Still have two here, with known-bad hard drives. One (HDD present) boots up from the Diagnostics floppy but has a memory issue to be tracked down; the other (HDD removed) won't boot from the floppy at the moment.
Trying to decide whether or not to use them for an exhibit at VCF West...
How many people here own the real hardware?
Still have two here, with known-bad 20MB hard drives. One (HDD present) boots up from the Diagnostics floppy but has a memory issue to be tracked down; the other (HDD removed) won't boot from the floppy at the moment. Suspect it's looking for a response from the missing HDD...
Trying to decide whether or not to use them for an exhibit at VCF West this year.

Only 3B1 emulator I know about is FreeBee
I’ve done some work on 3b1 in MAME (that I haven’t checked in) but definitely needs a bunch more work. Hopefully some day we will also have MAME support for UNIX PC.

I have a 7300, but no keyboard or mouse as of yet. I can connect to it via serial console, but would really like to find a keyboard, whether it's an original, compatible, or arduino converter...

My PS2 to 7300 mouse converter could probably be extended to handle keyboard data. I have keyboards for all my systems so no motivation here to dive in personally.

Back