• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AT2XT keyboard converter

I tested this AT to XT keyboard converter with Juko ST motherboard and a PS2 keyboard. Almost everything works well, including SHIFT, CAPS LOCK and CTRL keys. However, I have a minor problem. When playing Prince of Persia 1 on this XT using the converter, the SHIFT key is not recognized and I can't take small steps by pressing SHIFT+Arrow key. If I do that, the prince will still take a normal step as if SHIFT wasn't pressed. The SHIFT key works well in the same game (for example, when drinking a potion), in MS-DOS and also in other apps so I am not sure what the issue is.

Does anyone have the same problem?

You might get a more definitive answer by borrowing an XT keyboard.

Nobody around here owns an XT keyboard. The only XT keyboard that I have here has many dead keys and can't really be used. eBay wants at least $100+ for an XT keyboard in unknown condition. I believe the SHIFT key issue is timing-related, e.g. Prince of Persia makes some assumption on timings to detect Shift-Arrow combinations, which work well with an original keyboard but not with the converter.

Last edited:
I tested this AT to XT keyboard converter with Juko ST motherboard and a PS2 keyboard. Almost everything works well, including SHIFT, CAPS LOCK and CTRL keys. However, I have a minor problem. When playing Prince of Persia 1 on this XT using the converter, the SHIFT key is not recognized and I can't take small steps by pressing SHIFT+Arrow key. If I do that, the prince will still take a normal step as if SHIFT wasn't pressed. The SHIFT key works well in the same game (for example, when drinking a potion), in MS-DOS and also in other apps so I am not sure what the issue is.
Does anyone have the same problem?
In post #493 of the AT2XTKB development thread, member schnurzel posted some alternative code for the AT2XTKB.
The link to that post is [here].
In the later posts of #499 and #528, other members reported that the alternative code fixed some issues.
Maybe you should try that code.

In post #493 of the AT2XTKB development thread, member schnurzel posted some alternative code for the AT2XTKB.
The link to that post is [here].
In the later posts of #499 and #528, other members reported that the alternative code fixed some issues.
Maybe you should try that code.

Thanks for the link! Let me try with the updated code ...

Not that I am aware of, but you can order them, yourself, based on the PCB designs that Scott and I have both posted to OSHPark, and then build one, using commonly-available parts. It's not at all a difficult process.

- Alex

When the vcf.org was created from vintage-computer.com, someone forgot to update attachment links. Fortunately, I happen to have the file here:

You know, my attachments are really for public consumption. Is there any way I can simply expose the entire lot of them, without having them linked to messages?

Attachments

• XTATK090.ZIP
    11.2 KB · Views: 23
I've had a few emails lately asking about PC boards and assembled units. I got a bit carried away and ordered/built up a batch of these with 3D printed cases etc. I still have some spares if anyone is looking for one.

- Gary

Hi,

I found this keyboard: key tronics E03602 EL FR (french one).

IMG_20191121_183650.jpg IMG_20191121_183644.jpg

It seems XT compatible, but these are not switches on the second photo. Instead there are 3 holes. Do I need to solder switches myself? For XT compatibility I have to connect the 3 of them? It is not clear to me how to configure it.

Back