• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Awww I love SCSI - NOT!

Well, I RMAd the drive a "new to me" one is coming next week. On the bright side I tried my ols Plextor 3012TS and worked like a charm the first time.

Chuck(G), I went w/ 2GB drives as I *believe* that is the biggest partition size suportd by DOS 6.22. I also wanted a 7200 RPM drive. I don't think there were any full height 7200 RPMs (of course I can be totally wrong).

O.k. got the replaced HDD and it worked like a charm. No muss, no fuss and quiet - in line w/ what I recall. It seems as if most of the problems I've been having can be traced back to old faulty HW.

O.k. the SCSI screwiness continues. Currently the megacube SCSI system is setup as follows

AHA-2742W Narrow - Conner Tstor 8000 - Plextor W1210TS - ZIP 250 (Terminated)
Wide - Seagate HDD (Terminated)

Before someone points out the config is unsupported please note that the ZIP drive is connected to the chain via a breakout port and not the external port on the AHA-2742W.

This setup works as it should. Everything is correctly terminated and recognized. Recently I acquired a Plextor W4012TS to replace the 1210TS. I put it on the chain at the same connector and w/ the same SCSI ID as the 1210TS. However, the system now refuses to boot. If I remove either the 4012TS or the ZIP 250 the system works fine. Even more strangely if I terminate both the 4012TS and the ZIP 250 everything works just fine (i.e. the chain is terminated at three locations). I initially though there might be an issue with the ZIP 250 termination, so I tried using an external active terminator. However, I got the same results. Anyone have any idea why the incorrect config works but the proper one fails?

Last edited:
I have had a similar situation before there I ahd to throw a terminator in the middle. In that case the total length was getting me. There was no performance loss so long as that terminator was in the middle of the chain.

That was my other thought. However, I am sure I have not exceeded the 3m cable length requirement. I wonder if the cable quality is a problem? The other thing is that the same cable setup works just fine w/ the older CD-RW but not with the higher end model.

Well,

I got a second 4012TS and guess what? It works as expected with the correct termination setting and nothing funky. Not sure why the other drive is acting like it is. But my guess is it is a by product of buying second hand!

Back