• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Back to dial-up in 2021!

Solutions to all these problems will not be deliverable within a 2025 timeframe. And if a service provider can package up a service which obscures the shift to a fibre network from the consumer, a market for it will exist. I know that my workplace would change provider to keep their fax machines and emergency phones (even at increased cost) long before they gave them up.

Sorry perhaps I have over trimmed. Perhaps the shortage of mainstream coverage is deliberate. Trying not to panic the public? As for the above BT or perhaps Openreach used to offer a PSTN port with Battery backup Unit that provided emergency dialing but this is no longer available new supply, perhaps because most people that used it, like me, only have DECT phones and the base unit stops working when the mains go.

So now you have to have your own VOIP unit and your own battery backup/ups.

the audio latency of any digital based voice service drives me crazy, I pretty much hate talking on the phone now

(never liked it a whole lot to begin with, but it was tolerable with wire speed audio)

I remember using a Nokia 100 analog cell phone just before they shut down analog and well after most people were using digital cell phones. The sound was crystal clear back then.

Eh don't romanticize analog cellular too much. Yeah the audio quality was great when you were well in range but coverage was poor and you'd get crushed by static sometimes

Yes. "Baud" is the measure of "symbols" per second. So, a 2400 bps connection (note small 'b') using QAM passes 600 symbols per second. Practically speaking, the limit for a voice grade line is 2400 baud. Higher bitrates are achieved through sophisticated modulation and encoding.

That being said, in a wire-connected PC-to-PC setup, baud = bits per second.

Question for the OP: May I assume that you're using the mobile version of the VCF forum pages and not the full-blown desktop/graphical ones?

Late as hell reply but no I'm using the full desktop version. It really does not take long to load I swear.

Landlines are getting much more expensive these days even if you don't use long distance. I wonder what percentage of the population uses a landline anymore (mostly old people like my mom).

I mean I'm only 18 and I specifically hunted down a provider in the area that still did POTS. I know a couple folks crazy as I am so there might be as low a number as you think.

I remember using a Nokia 100 analog cell phone just before they shut down analog and well after most people were using digital cell phones. The sound was crystal clear back then.

I'm still daily drivin' a Nokia 3390b (US model 3310). I got one once the Dynatac my grandparents gave me wasn't usable anymore and I've just kept using them ever since. Once 2G is phased out honestly I think I'm done with cellular tech.

Back