• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bernoulli Transportable help?

A-ko

Experienced Member
Hey guys. I'm admittedly not the most experienced Mac user so forgive me. I have a SCSI external Bernoulli Transportable 150 drive, and I want to try to use it with my Macintosh LC. I have it hooked into the SCSI port on the back, I've tried a few different ID numbers, and I do have a terminator in the drive (it's my only external SCSI device on the bus.)

Now I'm not sure if this would be plug-and-play and the Mac would just recognize it as a drive, or if I need to install some driver or extension or something. This is where my Mac knowledge drops off. Should the computer see there is a drive on the bus and do something, or does it need to be told what to look for? I do have four disks, and the drive seems to recognize and seek on them, so I think the drive is functional at least. If I DO need a driver disk or something, and anybody can point me in the right direction, that would be awesome too. I checked Macintosh Garden but came up empty-handed.

Any help would be much appreciated. I don't NEED to do this, but I want to see if the drive is functional and I don't have any PCs with SCSI cards.

Thanks! I'll try that out tomorrow. Dug out my old Powerbook so I can do some appletalk action.

@A-ko Just a FYI: SCSI devices can often be made of limited use without a driver by having the media loaded in the drive before turning on the computer. It will then treat it like a non-removeable disk; i.e. it won't auto-mount if you eject it without the help of a SCSI mounting utility. This can be useful in a pinch, especially for unsupported devices.

@A-ko Just a FYI: SCSI devices can often be made of limited use without a driver by having the media loaded in the drive before turning on the computer. It will then treat it like a non-removeable disk; i.e. it won't auto-mount if you eject it without the help of a SCSI mounting utility. This can be useful in a pinch, especially for unsupported devices.
I've tried this with all my disks and it never recognizes anything. Of course, who knows if any of these disks are any good...

Worth a shot. The Bernoulli drive is really old, so it may do something weird and absolutely require the driver to work.

I've still got a 2-drive Bernoulli 90 MB box, it functions as a normal SCSI device on my PC hardware. I've not tried it on my old Mac Beige G3.

Back