• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Best Motherboard for a 5162/ XT-286

Yes, I am. They're usually over $1000 without a screen and this one comes with a screen. You won't find one cheaper anywhere unless you get extremely lucky or have a buddy who does you a favor. There aren't even any left at Computer Reset. There wasn't even a motherboard. I looked.

Last edited:
IMHO it really is a real 5162 MB. It looks to have the original HD with a yellow LED and original floppy. It may be an un-hacked system. It's close to me so and I feel the itch. I'd say bargain, cleaned up worth double but you may not find another at that price if you flip it. It also fas a card in it with an eprom I'm not familiar with, could be of interest. Keyboard and monitor included...

framer

The frustration is that I already have a 5162 in great condition, minus the motherboard. I really don’t want another complete system.

I’ve been looking for a year now, with no results.

- Alex

Sell the extra parts. That one inside picture tells the store. It clean and not hacked. You can clean the case and it works. It has a original 5162 HD w/yellow LED. The case is not the computer but that case has value to resell as wll as PS HD HDC/FDC video card MIO card.

framer

does anyone know why IBM chose to make the LEDs amber on the 5162?
During my electronics training (which was prior to the 5162), we were told that engineers were being encouraged to use green lights to indicate normal/good and red lights to indicate abnormal/failure. Something like that (it was a long time ago). It made sense to me. And, and in the electronics world that I worked in, it would be so much better to walk into a room of green lights, and instantly know that no equipment is indicating a known fault. And if there is a known fault condition, the red light would allow you to quickly go to the faulty equipment.

Re drive access LED's. In the case of a floppy drive, you don't want the user removing the floppy whilst the floppy drive's LED is on. In the case of a hard drive, you don't want the user powering off the computer whilst the hard drive's LED is on. Considering the aforementioned green/red philosophy, green is undesired because it would suggest to the user that all is good. And red is undesired because no fault condition exists. So maybe amber was used as something in between, a 'warning'.

During my electronics training (which was prior to the 5162), we were told that engineers were being encouraged to use green lights to indicate normal/good and red lights to indicate abnormal/failure. Something like that (it was a long time ago). It made sense to me. And, and in the electronics world that I worked in, it would be so much better to walk into a room of green lights, and instantly know that no equipment is indicating a known fault. And if there is a known fault condition, the red light would allow you to quickly go to the faulty equipment.

Re drive access LED's. In the case of a floppy drive, you don't want the user removing the floppy whilst the floppy drive's LED is on. In the case of a hard drive, you don't want the user powering off the computer whilst the hard drive's LED is on. Considering the aforementioned green/red philosophy, green is undesired because it would suggest to the user that all is good. And red is undesired because no fault condition exists. So maybe amber was used as something in between, a 'warning'.

I'm in agreement with the idea of the light color providing status information to an operator, especially nowadays when one can have tricolor LEDs that can switch red/amber/green as needed.

But it is important to remember that in the early days, as it was with Henry Ford's color choices, (black, black or black) one could have any color LED they wanted, as long as they wanted red.

These days they are encouraged to use burn-out-your-retina-blue LEDs because idiots love them.

Finding modern computer parts without LED's is, perhaps, my greatest pet peeve when building a modern computer. Modern computers are so modular they might as well be legos and, somehow, people think that a few dollars worth of weird multi-color and or flashing LED's make it look like they have a one of a kind super computer.

The frustration is that I already have a 5162 in great condition, minus the motherboard. I really don’t want another complete system.

I’ve been looking for a year now, with no results.

- Alex

Still looking? Just acquired a very clean 5162.

I don't have any floppies, but it boots up and passes the memory check. Then comes to a blank screen with blinking cursor. The inside is super clean, if you're interested I'd be happy to send some pictures.

It wasn't that long ago that you could still get a 5162 for a reasonable price. I guess someone figured out that they are pretty rare and spread the word.

Back