• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Best way to deep clean motherboard

Madrobby

Experienced Member
I’ve now stumbled over various articles, videos etc on how to clean motherboards, but the techniques vary widely, and as I’m new to this I’m unsure who to trust and what is BS...

So, what’s your favorite method?

I have a few motherboards and cards that would benefit from a deep,cleaning, removing any debris, dust, oxidization and corrosion (if possible); and I’d like to not do damage to them in the process.

Thanks!

I use a soft bristle paintbrush and simply remove dust that way. You can also use "air in a can" to blow out debris from under ICs, etc. Most dust is a good insulator and so not a problem from an electrical standpoint.

Unless contacts are corroded, I use an aerosol contact cleaner and a soft cotton rag.

I've had a few that I've had to wash in a tub. But those were covered in conductive dust, which as Chuck (G) points out, is rare. Otherwise, I use compressed air. Just be sure to remove anything that might get blown away which you don't want to lose, such as stickers.

The board often requires to be cleaned down with a spray solvent, but you have to be careful what you use, it must not attack plastics, inks, paints or component surfaces or PCB coatings. In the USA the product I would trust for this is "CO Contact Cleaner" made by CRC (In AU I uses a similar product called "circuit board and contact cleaner" made by motortech, but it's basically the same)

(These products replaced trichloroethylene, which was used to replace carbon tetrachloride which is a wonderful degreaser/cleaner that was banned after it was found to cause cancer in the dry cleaning industry- a bit OT but there was a great episode of Lost in Space where Will Robinson travelled back to Earth in a time machine built by aliens, and bought a bottle of carbon tet from a hardware store to help fix the Jupiter 2) I could still buy carbon tet myself from the pharmacy, up till about 1975, it is fantastic for cleaning grease off rubber parts.

The CO cleaner is applied by a small tube attached to the nozzle , the high velocity jet of it will displace dust and dirt from the surfaces under most IC's and flush it out of PCB connectors. You might use half a can of it or more on a mobo. As this happens the mobo starts to cool down and water from the atmosphere will start to condense on it.In places as suggested it might need a light brush as well. So after it is clean you need to hold the PCB in a stream of flowing air at or above ambient temperature, to evaporate the H20. The output vents of a home air conditioner work fine, but if you use a hair dryer, have it on low heat and the nozzle well away from the PCB at least 1 foot, you don't want to overheat any part of the PCB, only blow slightly warm air over it until the water droplets have evaporated.

However, if an electrolytic cap has leaked on the board, the contact cleaner (a non polar solvent)will sometimes not satisfactorily wash off the electrolyte, especially if the PCB coating is the non glossy type. A warm stream of deionised water ( a polar solvent) is required to wash over a for at least 10 to 20 minutes, then a spray with the CO contact clear to help displace the water then an air dry.

Once the board is cleaned and dry, it's not over yet there is more......It is very unwise to leave any of the connector pins on any of the board's connectors dry and fully degreased like this, they then will be vulnerable to corrosion and in the case of plugs/ sockets , card edge connectors wear from excessive friction when cards and plugs etc are fitted and re-fitted. The connection surfaces need protection and lubrication. There are products made by Caig chemicals to help, for example "Pro-Gold", I have found though that WD-40 is perfect, spray it sparingly into the edge connectors for the cards and all other electrical connectors. It coats the metal surfaces, prevents corrosion and lubricates them. It can be applied to the surfaces of IC pins (the CPU).

Some CPU's with gold plated pins (like the Athlon types) which go in ZIF sockets get intermittent connections.

Gold over time gets a clear invisible insulating coat over it that does not break down at low voltages, so in contact systems, where there is no sliding force (and surface scratching) this includes ZIF IC sockets, or the types of touch contacts seen in items like Tek oscilloscope attenuators or the target connection eletrodes in vintage tube cameras, resistance develops and causes intermittent behaviour. However, in sliding contact systems, like card edge connectors, it's not usually a problem as this breaks through the microscopically thin surface layer.

For example on Athlon 64+ CPU's and similar ones, it's important to place the CPU in a small bath of CO contact cleaner, brush the pins gently with a small artists brush for 10 minutes or more (to remove the invisible coating) then spray the pins with WD-40 and leave to dry for 10 min, leaving a thin coat of WD-40.

It's more difficult to get this oxide off the ZIF socket,but if small cardboard spacers about 0.5mm thick are used under the corners of the IC, then partially close the ZIF socket arm until there is just a little contact on the IC's pins, remove the spaces and push the IC home. The small amount of sliding friction and movement helps to break through the layer on the ZIF sockets pins. So if you have any computer problems that are intermittent like failure to POST, and the CPU is a gold plated pin ZIF socket type, this may be the problem. In single tube color video cameras, when this happens the series resistance at the preamp input from the target electrode results in a LPF forming, the 7MHz color carrier is lost and the output picture goes green. In Tek scopes the attenuators where the zero sliding for gold contacts are uses simply go open circuit or intermittent. The problem in worse in low voltage systems, like 1.5V powered CPU's. Higher applied voltages tend to break down the thin surface layer on the gold.

Finally, about WD-40 and pcb's : WD-40 is compatible with practically every component on a PCB, so there are pcb's, that after cleaning can be entirely coated with it and wiped down, leaving all the exposed metal on components and IC pins protected from future corrosion. However, there are a couple of exceptions to watch out for, If there are any stickers, WD 40 will soften their glue. There is one type of PCB component not compatible with WD-40, not that the WD40 damages it, but WD-40 is an insulator which has a dielectric constant. If it is sprayed onto small PCB adjustable ceramic capacitors, like the sort used in RF circuits, or sometime to set a crystal frequency on some computer pcb's or in attenuators in scopes etc, it alters the capacitance and plays havoc with the adjustments, so never put WD-40 on on that type of PCB component.

WD-40 is basically stoddard solvent and a light oil. I'd keep it off of PCBs--you don't need to oil your boards: MSDS

Freon TF used to be the cleaner of choice, but, you know, ozone hole and all that.

Distilled or deionized water with a wetting agent is also a safe board cleaner (it's used commercially), but you have to deal with drying.

A lot of people swear by Caig Labs' DeoxIT for cleaning contacts.

Yes, I agree there is no need in general to "oil the PCB", but if some of it, applied to connectors gets on the PCB, it doesn't cause damage, except for the exceptions noted.

While I never washed a main board, I did soak a keyboard once. Some of the keys weren't registering. So I fill a plastic tub with hot eater, poured in about a quart of ammonia, inserted keyboard. Left it for half an hour, rattled all the keys, put it in front of the a/c probably overnight, plugged it in, and it worked fine.

Water plus a solvent isn't a bad thing, and could loosen crud. Not too much ammonia, as it does react with copper. There's other things you can use I suppose. Ammonia is the BEST solvent on earth, but it needs time. Use it strait and it'll remove 100 year old paint and filler. Comes right off. It gets into crevaces, like the folds in a power steeringmpump reservoir, no problem. If you let it soak long enough. All the crud just runs out. But as I said depending on what the specific issues are with the board, you may need different approaches, corrosion may not be helped by a simple solution. Vinegar will.

While I never washed a main board, I did soak a keyboard once. Some of the keys weren't registering. So I fill a plastic tub with hot eater, poured in about a quart of ammonia, inserted keyboard. Left it for half an hour, rattled all the keys, put it in front of the a/c probably overnight, plugged it in, and it worked fine.

Water plus a solvent isn't a bad thing, and could loosen crud. Not too much ammonia, as it does react with copper. There's other things you can use I suppose. Ammonia is the BEST solvent on earth, but it needs time. Use it strait and it'll remove 100 year old paint and filler. Comes right off. It gets into crevaces, like the folds in a power steeringmpump reservoir, no problem. If you let it soak long enough. All the crud just runs out. But as I said depending on what the specific issues are with the board, you may need different approaches, corrosion may not be helped by a simple solution. Vinegar will.

Distilled water and IPA should cover most sins, and vinegar for battery spills (wash with water afterwards!). I'd generally shy away from compressed air and use an ESD safe brush - air is quite good at building up static at times...

d.

The solution depends on the situation. If you've got a motherboard that's coated with a couple of cm. of hardened mouse droppings, none of the above will save you. I've resorted to oven cleaner in a couple of situations. Most people would probably just junk the board.

My view is that there are really only a few liquid substances I will let near a PCB.

For a polar compound , deionised water only. I would not trust anything else. Some folks have used isopropyl alcohol, but it's too aggressive sometimes and reacts with component surfaces. For those interested in its reactivity with aluminium, wipe IPA over a perfectly uniform aluminium surface and wait for the pits to appear in the surface.

The only non polar solvent I trust is the CO contact cleaner or its equivalent. I have never seen it destructively react with the surface of any plastic or circuit board part.

Windex is fairly benign, but it's more reactive than CO contact cleaner and can dissolve some inks.

WD40 is safe on practically anything and it is good for any exposed metal surfaces, IC pins & IC sockets. But as mentioned there is no point in applying t0 a board in general, just any exposed surfaces of metal parts benefit from it.

The trouble is with home made or mixed up cleaning solutions, the concentrations could vary with errors and mistakes and any ionic compounds applied may take a while to leach out with a deionised water soak, if they are left they will remain electrically conductive to one extent or another.

Generally speaking water is the "universal solvent" because more substances dissolve in water than any other solvent. Greases & oils do not without detergents . After that a non polar solvent , which it where the CO contact cleaner comes in. Plus, the high velocity jet of it is helpful the crevices in connectors etc. After a PCB is cleaned with CO contact cleaner, the pure water droplets from condensation on the cold surfaces help clean the surface of any residual water soluble debris if it's wiped off with or dried with a clean cotton rag.

One guy on the vintage mac list said he used brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Claimed he never had a problem. Too aggressive for me. A soapy bath might also do.as long as you rinse thoroughly, I doubt there's anything to worry about. I would recommend some kind of solvent though. Go easy on the amounts if you're worried. And understand you could see traces dissappear if there's sufficient green crud. But likely you're not losing anything, except the crud. If it's eaten away. This happened to me with a Lisa cpu board. I contemplated epoxy inge thin strip to replace what was lost. Makes more sense to just replace it.

The solution depends on the situation. If you've got a motherboard that's coated with a couple of cm. of hardened mouse droppings, none of the above will save you. I've resorted to oven cleaner in a couple of situations. Most people would probably just junk the board.

I have to believe ammonia will remove anything, and perhaps more then you want. That's why you go easy on the amount. Let's say 1/2 to a cup per gallon of water. Some components may not be so happy, especially if they're leaking or on their way out, in which case they'd probably need to be replaced anyway. Some capacitors use paper for a dièlectric. You do have to rinse well, and make plenty sure the board is dry before you plug it back in.

Ammonia's great for cutting grease--I use it in the kitchen all the time. But you'd be struggling a bit, I think, if you tried to clean your oven with it.

Oven cleaner is basically lye--a much stronger base, but in a "foaming" suspension, so it's somewhat controllable. That inch of mouse poo mixed with urine and baked hard in an un-ventilated shed was a tough job--you couldn't even chip it off the board. Of course, lye is murder on aluminum and zinc (i.e. galvanized steel). But when you've got nothing to lose--it's either the trash can or a chance at recovery--you'll use what works.

If what you want to do is remove soldering flux, don't bother. It does no harm to remain--and may even offer some protection. If you're determined, however, perc makes a decent flux remover, but can be very hard on plastic.

One guy on the vintage mac list said he used brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Claimed he never had a problem. Too aggressive for me. A soapy bath might also do.as long as you rinse thoroughly, I doubt there's anything to worry about. I would recommend some kind of solvent though. Go easy on the amounts if you're worried. And understand you could see traces dissappear if there's sufficient green crud. But likely you're not losing anything, except the crud. If it's eaten away. This happened to me with a Lisa cpu board. I contemplated epoxy inge thin strip to replace what was lost. Makes more sense to just replace it.

OK I didn't complete the thought. The traces disappeared when I dissolved salt in vinegar and put the board in that.

Ammonia's great for cutting grease--I use it in the kitchen all the time. But you'd be struggling a bit, I think, if you tried to clean your oven with it.

Oven cleaner is basically lye--a much stronger base, but in a "foaming" suspension, so it's somewhat controllable. That inch of mouse poo mixed with urine and baked hard in an un-ventilated shed was a tough job--you couldn't even chip it off the board. Of course, lye is murder on aluminum and zinc (i.e. galvanized steel). But when you've got nothing to lose--it's either the trash can or a chance at recovery--you'll use what works.

If what you want to do is remove soldering flux, don't bother. It does no harm to remain--and may even offer some protection. If you're determined, however, perc makes a decent flux remover, but can be very hard on plastic.

What I'm advocating is a long soak. You control the concentration. From what I've seen hardened lava will come off. With a pcb, a 50/50 concentration may be pushing it. But you can start lower, leave it for days or a week, checking of course. If nothing else works give it a go. As I said it will separate 100 year old paint and filler from cast iron overnight. Strait it'll eat the paint off of a 5170 case, in minutes. In fact I have to strip my AT, so I'll wrap newspaper around it, and pour on some ammonia. All inside a plastic bag.

You could start off by suspending the board over a basin, concentration of your choosing, having only a corner of the board say submersed, and see what happens.

So what molar concentration of ammonia do you use? Clear or cloudy? (I assume that you mean ammonium hydroxide and not anhydrous ammonia :) )

Last edited:
Back