• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Best way to remove 486 cpu

cb2000

Hi all, this may be a stupid question but I am having a hell of a hard time removing a 486 CPU from its motherboard. There's no lever or anything on this socket, so I figured I'd just pull it off, but, it is on so tight that it feels like it will break. Is there a special tool or technique to removing these things?

Yes, there is a chip puller. But a small, thin, flat-blade screwdriver will do fine if you are careful and pry gently from each side or corner.

Do you know how much these chip pullers are and where they can be bought. I'm kinda paranoid about using a screw driver.

Edit: Ignore above, I found a bunch.

Last edited:
Do you know how much these chip pullers are and where they can be bought. I'm kinda paranoid about using a screw driver.

Edit: Ignore above, I found a bunch.

One can go to the hardware store and buy a few paint can lid pry tools. It is best to lever on all sides, at once. I've seen them broken using a screw driver. A proper puller is quite expensive.
Dwight

In a pinch, a pair of "blank brackets" from unused slots can be used as chip extractors. Just put the short "L" ends between the chip and socket on each side and gently rock from side to side.

For the Socket 1 ZIF, that requires a CPU puller (something that comes with a Pentium OverDrive CPU for a 486), chip extracting tool, or a flat-tip screwdriver (careful with that).

In a pinch, a pair of "blank brackets" from unused slots can be used as chip extractors. Just put the short "L" ends between the chip and socket on each side and gently rock from side to side.
That's what I use, with the end of the short "L" leg sharpened to a knife edge.

...A proper puller is quite expensive.
I have an Intel 486 CPU puller and, believe me, it wasn't expensive :)

attachment.php

CPUPuller.jpg

That is what they give you with a replacement part. They are not designed to ensure that the chip you pull out comes out undamaged. A proper puller is like a box with a screw knob on top.
Dwight

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, seems like I have a few options. I might give the slot brackets a try since I have them handy.

Back