• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"Better" 486 Video / Graphics Cards

It's true that any VL card can blow any ISA vga card out of the water regarding speed. But...it's simply not true that all VLB cards give about the same level of DOS performance. If you're just running Sierra games you don't need much more than an ISA card and 256kb RAM. But if you are running 3D games or high-res stuff from the 94-96 period, you find some cards run much better than others.

If you want an ET4000W32P card for VLB, I can get you one for about $17 plus shipping. Probably about $30 in all. Card is untested though.

AC not sure if this is directed at me but if it is while I agree certain cards are better then others (i.e. a S3 VLB card kicks the crap out of a Trident VLB card) my point was much more speed/performance was gained by changing the bus then the card. I.E. any POS PCI card would beat out even the best ISA and probably most if not all VLB cards.

As for the ET4000W32 thanks for the offer. But I don't have any VLB systems. I have ISA for my 386 and below, EISA for my 486, and PCI (or better) from then on. Before I could get on the VLB bandwagon it had already passed an PCI was in full vogue (my upgrade cycle went like this: 5160 -> generic 486/33 -> self built Pentium 200MMX that took from ~1988 to 2003). I maybe interested in an ISA (not sure how beneficial it would be in a 386sx-16) one and as I said I would salivate at a EISA one but I don't believe such a beat ever existed.

Thanks again...

Sure, there are plenty of ET4000 cards. Were you trying to show us an ET4000W32 for EISA bus? I couldn't see one in the list you provided. Actually, I seem to remember such a card existing...but it's not really worth tracking down. The ET4000W32 doesn't do interleaved memory, so at best all you're looking at is improved Windows performance. I'd rather have an S3 928 card personally.

Not surprising, I've never seen EISA in real life, I am guessing it was not popular in my area (There are a lot of weird things related to technology in my area, we're a bit backwards and we only have one ISP)... Though as I plan on one more 486 build, I think I will try and get one with EISA, I want to play with it.

Sure, there are plenty of ET4000 cards. Were you trying to show us an ET4000W32 for EISA bus? I couldn't see one in the list you provided. Actually, I seem to remember such a card existing...but it's not really worth tracking down. The ET4000W32 doesn't do interleaved memory, so at best all you're looking at is improved Windows performance. I'd rather have an S3 928 card personally.

There are three on that list, third, fith and sixth ones down the list. Perhaps I should have linked directly to it. I was responding to Shadow Lord as he didn't think they existed.

I highly suspect at least some of the ET4000 cards on that list are misidentified as EISA. EISA and OPTi local bus (not VESA local bus) use an identical connector. One of the cards listed clearly states it is opti local bus in the title. The second one merely states "local bus". EISA is NOT a local bus.

Ah, I didn't notice that, feel free to facepalm at me.

Rubbish excuse; I haven't seen that around either, though I do remember hearing of it's existence. That's my story and I am sticking to it. :p

Looks like such a card did exist.

I was curious so I Googled it, now you've got something for the wish list. :D

There's a few around, found out by looking at this; http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/EISA_1.html#.UWJ6YaCbUeF

Thanks for the linkage. I can't say I have ever seen those cards except for some of the miscategorized OPTI bus cards. Of course finding them on Stason and finding them available w/ the necessary drivers is a whole other issue. The cards I see most often are the Compaq cards and the Elsa cars come up once every six month or so. Neither of which are super performers but are more than good enough. I know some of the guys here have paired up a Spectrum/24 w/ a Elsa w/ good success for good DOS and windows performance.

p.s. I don't see any ET4000W32 cards on that list either. The ones you point to are ET4000 cards - a completely different chipset designed for use w/ ISA bus not native EISA.

Thanks for looking out though!

So how much better are these ET4000 cards than competing S3 and Cirrus chipsets? Does anyone have both and want to try out with 'doom -timedemo demo3'?

Hatta:

Either the Tseng ET4000 or the Cirrus S3 is like the Chevy/Ford argument. A lot of you gaming experience will depend on your basic system layout; i.e., CPU, RAM, etc. Also, whether your emphasis will be on DOS or WIN95/WIN98 gaming. Both of the these video cards will perform very well in the DOS mode. Lining up the correct drivers for Win95/Win98 gaming can be trying, but that's all part of it. If I'm in the market now (I'm not), I would probably go with a Diamond Stealth 64 if my mobo had a PCI slot. You may want to visit "BenchMarkReviews.com" and get some firsthand info before you make that purchase.

I'm very picky about signal output quality and I regard that over speed. Here the S3 cards fall straight through. My ET4000 is very good, along with Matrox cards from that time period.

I'm very picky about signal output quality and I regard that over speed. Here the S3 cards fall straight through. My ET4000 is very good, along with Matrox cards from that time period.

Matrox always wins with DAC quality. My G400's analog output beats out whatever crap ATI was using in their video cards back in 2006. The Matrox card is noticeably sharper when running 1280x1024 output to a CRT.

Matrox always wins with DAC quality. My G400's analog output beats out whatever crap ATI was using in their video cards back in 2006. The Matrox card is noticeably sharper when running 1280x1024 output to a CRT.

Wouldn't it be a little difficult to cram the G400 AGP card into a 486?

Wouldn't it be a little difficult to cram the G400 AGP card into a 486?

Yeah, one reason why I don't have a Matrox card in my 486. Pre-PCI units aren't very common. The Cirrus Logic card I have in there now has good output quality compared to the no-name S3 805 card that was in there. #9 seemed to have better output quality on their S3 cards as they paired them with higher end DACs.

Yeah, one reason why I don't have a Matrox card in my 486. Pre-PCI units aren't very common. The Cirrus Logic card I have in there now has good output quality compared to the no-name S3 805 card that was in there. #9 seemed to have better output quality on their S3 cards as they paired them with higher end DACs.

I have a Matrox Millenium w/ the daughter board that I occassionally ferry in an out of one of my 486 PCI rigs. Easily supported in Win95/Win98 and renders very nice resolution and colors - one of my favorites and have had since it was NIB.

My personal opinions (I'm going for price-performance here):

ISA: Tseng ET4000AX. It was fast, compatible and for the longest time quite plentiful. Some very old games had quirks with them though (Tank Wars by Kenny Morse had difficulties showing some of the icons, but that was a minor glitch). Some later WDC chipsets were pretty good too (though early Paradise chips were dogs.) Third would be Cirrus GD5426+ as DOS was not dramatically slower and the accelerator made Windows more bearable at least.

VLB: Cirrus were super-common and strictly average in all areas, though 5429 was a little better. S3's 64-bit Vision and Trio series rules the roost for overall DOS and Windows performance per dollar, as long as they were equipped with 2MB or more of memory. 805 was okay, but only just (they tended to be visibly faster than Cirrus's in Windows, but also visibly behind in DOS.) Some later Trident cards were surprising though: 9400CXi for instance had remarkably fluid Mode13h response for a Trident, and 9440 was decently quick for the price. (Trident of course tended to suffer from monitor detection troubles, as mentioned earlier.) Also surprising was an Avance Logic 2222VL - while its Windows and VESA VBE speed was nothing to write home about, it was very capable in Mode13h at least.

PCI: Many good chipsets, S3's Vision and Trio series were plenty competitive overall and were common as heck, often quite cheap too. ViRGE was pretty decent, but Vision/Trio usually were noticeably faster in pure DOS. Trident's 64-bit TGUI9680 was a surprise as it was quite strong in DOS (especially Mode13h), though the VBE remained mediocre at best. 3dfx Banshee and V3+ of course dominated the whole field, but were often much harder to find and pricier, and some 486 PCI boards weren't too thrilled with them. Didn't use a Matrox too much sadly, but I remember owning a Millennium 2 based card that didn't really seem any faster than my S3 Trio64V+.

Last edited:
I'm hoping maybe you guys can help. I have a Headland HT216-32 Onboard (VLB) card, and I can't figure out how to force it to more than 60Hz in Windows 3.1. If I can't, what ISA Card is decent AND has a windows driver to force refresh rates, and isn't too expensive (I'm thinking like $20).

Thanks!!

I'm not sure of the ramdac. I've found if I've used an ALTPARM Tool it comes with, and load the "Ergonomic" profile, it'll do above 60Hz in Windows, but it messes up dos games. Problem with LCD's is they usually can't handle all the resolutions of these vintage systems, can they?

Back