• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"Better" 486 Video / Graphics Cards

Is there any reason you bought such an old series instead of something new since it is PCI-E. I think it would have been worth it
just to pay a bit more and take advantage of extra features, better driver support etc etc

And you can always pull it out and reuse it in something else at some other time

I guess my reason would be that I try to keep the cards somewhat within the time frame of the PC, but more importantly, I think, is that the CPU will be the bottleneck with a modern high end card. The card I went with was up to the job of driving a new 24" 1920 X 1080 flat screen which is used mostly for email, web surfing, turbo-tax, and puzzle type games. (nothing real demanding) Her old card was a ATI Radeon X1300/X1550. So this new card is still a noticeable upgrade. :D

Not really. A core 2 duo can keep up pretty well although the 4850 and its equivalents are about the limit.

But for example a Radeon R7-250 is in the same performance class but brand new.

PCI-E cards are one place where I would go new if possible. That way you have a full warranty if something goes wrong

You are paying extra for that warranty, and there is no way of knowing of that card manufacturer will be around if/when your card dies (BFG for example). Most video cards are just warmed over chips from the last few years anyway unless you are getting the top of the line.

I have a few 4850's they do most jobs just fine and are cheap. My best video card was purchased as working but was DOA (fan cracked in shipping card didn't work), it is a 4870x2 with 2x1GB of RAM. High end for its day and cost me the price of a fan replacement $15ish after the ebay seller gave me a refund (was only $30 I think shipped). You can pick up an older monster card for $20 or less shipped if you look around, have a bunch of 9800 GTX+ here for that. Core 2 duo's are pretty old so you might as well get a vintage card.

I use a core 2 duo as a main pc...

That 4850 I got for $30 (free shipping) is also brand new! :D

The wife still uses her Core 2 duo as a main PC as well. She's really pleased with her upgraded screen and vga. ;) We bought that in '06 so not bad.

I still use ATI's VESA on on of my PCs)) It's funny to make some soft or icons using this dinosaur Customers don't even think that that their iPhone icons like this www.aha-soft.com were done using card from last century)))

Do you use old CRT's or modern LCD's ? I mostly use my Eizo L367 (15" LCD). It has a very good picture-quality, BUT not having a centered picture is very annoying. Is there a tool to center all resolutions to my LCD?

Thx
Doc

Back