• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

C-64 upgrades

Thanks again for the info. I am still waiting to close a deal on getting a real Commodore Monitor. Once I have another deal, I’ll see if I can then get another Commodore power supply. Then if I have the funds available, I’ll see what I can afford. If the price is right I’ll be the lookout for the power supply, and a quickload cartridge.

Let me know if anyone in the US has what I need to get either a quick load cartridge and a Commodore cartridge extender of some kind..

Please send me a PM with anything, besides the replacement of th power supply, what other cables, and possably additional hardware, and cards I will need to make my Commodore system work and/or play more user friendly.

I will be watcing this thread.

Again, Thanks in advance

Chiao
Thomas

I'm a nut for JiffyDOS. It's the first thing I do on a new Commodore system. JiffyDOS eliminates nearly all the issues you get with cartridge-based fast loaders. You can get them from Jim Brain at Retro Innovations. Check out his store at store.go4retro.com

Then, I know this is blasphemy to some, but I have almost completely given up on actual floppy disks in favor of disk images. Get an SD2IEC or if you have the funds, the 1541 Ultimate. I know others have already made these recommendations, but I second them!

Oh, not to hijack your thread, but I also meant to ask...are C= monitors getting hard to find? I've seen a couple of posts in forums just recently where folks are paying high dollar for original Commodore monitors.

Anyone else have a SDrive 1564? http://www.c64sdcard.hu/en/products.html
Took a while to get used to but I love the thing. I am still hesitant to do jiffydos, Ill get around to it sometime this year... maybe.

A friend of mine has one, and it works great. I've stuck with Jim Brain's uIEC, which is cheaper, but it's also just a bare board. I love Jim's products, but he has a tendency to lose interest once the hardware is created and let other people build cases and enclosures. So I have 3 of them in various cases, one installed inside a breadbin case. But yours has the display that shows the disk image you're on, which is pretty cool. I guess you could get by without JiffyDOS with that. Otherwise you're always typing in long commands to enter and exit different disk images.

Oh, not to hijack your thread, but I also meant to ask...are C= monitors getting hard to find? I've seen a couple of posts in forums just recently where folks are paying high dollar for original Commodore monitors.

Not sure, but Commodore monitors like the 1084 and 1702 have always been popular for a variety of systems. Pretty much any Commodore monitor except the 1802 and its Identikit cousin the CM-141 is a solid choice, so I can well imagine they retain much residual popularity.

Not sure, but Commodore monitors like the 1084 and 1702 have always been popular for a variety of systems. Pretty much any Commodore monitor except the 1802 and its Identikit cousin the CM-141 is a solid choice, so I can well imagine they retain much residual popularity.

Great monitors... however the power button will fail. Thats why I ordered some spared (which took 2 months to come in from ali baba)

Great monitors... however the power button will fail. Thats why I ordered some spared (which took 2 months to come in from ali baba)

Yep, I keep a half dozen spare power switches around too! If monitors are getting that scarce, maybe I need to shake loose a few of my extras and let other people use them! They're sitting in my barn right now, which we all know isn't good for them.

A friend of mine has one, and it works great. I've stuck with Jim Brain's uIEC, which is cheaper, but it's also just a bare board. I love Jim's products, but he has a tendency to lose interest once the hardware is created and let other people build cases and enclosures. So I have 3 of them in various cases, one installed inside a breadbin case. But yours has the display that shows the disk image you're on, which is pretty cool. I guess you could get by without JiffyDOS with that. Otherwise you're always typing in long commands to enter and exit different disk images.

Jim's stuff on go4retro is great, plus Jim answers emails which is nice.

Thanks again for the info. I am still waiting to close a deal on getting a real Commodore Monitor. Once I have another deal, I’ll see if I can then get another Commodore power supply.

Check out KevinO's new power supply. I have no actual experience with them, but I don't think you can get anything better for the price. (I'm not even sure that you can get anything better at a much larger price, or that you would need anything better.)

Yep, I keep a half dozen spare power switches around too! If monitors are getting that scarce, maybe I need to shake loose a few of my extras and let other people use them! They're sitting in my barn right now, which we all know isn't good for them.

There is a market for commodore monitors. they work great (sans the power switch) and they look nice. Not to mention the matching aesthetics, yeah sell them to some folks who can use them, better then going bad in a barn.

Thanks for the plug. I wasn't going to pimp my wares in EVERY thread! :D Besides, folks have already recommended Ray Carlsen, and he makes fabulous power supplies. Especially when you want something custom that can power more than one device.

There is a market for commodore monitors. they work great (sans the power switch) and they look nice. Not to mention the matching aesthetics, yeah sell them to some folks who can use them, better then going bad in a barn.

On the monitors, I really should go through them. The last one I really tore into, I completely recapped, and it hasn't worked since, so I've been a bit discouraged. That was 2013! Shame on me! So maybe I'll take the fact that folks are really looking for them as encouragement to start digging into them again. I've got about a dozen that are non-working in one way or another that could be fixed and go to good homes. They're just really time-consuming to repair, and we just got a new puppy. Now THAT is a challenging project!

Back