• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CBM/PET 4016-N ROMs

FelisSapien

Hi All,

I'm back with a query on my PET, this time with ROMs... If I run a RAM/ROM test I found somewhere an error is reported. I'm not sure what to make of the results:
romtest.jpeg

I've dumped the ROM images to file and produced MD5 checksums to compare against known good files:
ROM-checksum.PNG
All checks out well. So now I'm not sure what to make of the situation. Advice please.

The only odd behaviour I'm experiencing is (again) with the SD2PET. When first turning on the PET I see what seems to be random behaviour with the CATALOG/DIRECTORY/LOAD"$",8 commands. The first command I try will fail, the second or third will usually work. It doesn't seem to matter which combination of commands I use. Typing this out now I realise this could be a remaining gremlin in the area of IEEE-488. Or maybe it's a quirk of the device? Once a command to the disk is accepted then I don't have further problems.

Cheers,
Carl

Carl,

D8 is your edit rom which could have a different stored checksum value in the test program...usually this will be down to the differences in the 50hz vs 60hz EDIT rom versions (as I see you are in the UK I suspect this is the cause - I too get this error as the program is coded for US mains frequency)

There is a know problem with the sd2pet in that the first time you access it, with some boards nothing happens. The next time it runs fine and thereafter.

Andy

Hi All,

I'm back with a query on my PET, this time with ROMs... If I run a RAM/ROM test I found somewhere an error is reported. I'm not sure what to make of the results:
View attachment 67382

I've dumped the ROM images to file and produced MD5 checksums to compare against known good files:
View attachment 67383
All checks out well. So now I'm not sure what to make of the situation. Advice please.

The only odd behaviour I'm experiencing is (again) with the SD2PET. When first turning on the PET I see what seems to be random behaviour with the CATALOG/DIRECTORY/LOAD"$",8 commands. The first command I try will fail, the second or third will usually work. It doesn't seem to matter which combination of commands I use. Typing this out now I realise this could be a remaining gremlin in the area of IEEE-488. Or maybe it's a quirk of the device? Once a command to the disk is accepted then I don't have further problems.

Cheers,
Carl

Last edited:
As your difference is the EDIT ROM - this should have no effect on the IEEE 488 port (in an ideal world that is).

I suspect you have an IEEE 488 port gremlin hiding amongst the chips somewhere!

Dave

Dave

PET SD card readers can have an issue with first time read from cold start. It’s documented on various websites (I also have a Tynemouth board that shows the same issue. The PET SD+ I have seems ok.)

If after the second attempt everything is fine then that is kinda normal behaviour.

Andy

As your difference is the EDIT ROM - this should have no effect on the IEEE 488 port (in an ideal world that is).

I suspect you have an IEEE 488 port gremlin hiding amongst the chips somewhere!

Dave

Thanks for the feedback. I'll stop worrying about the ROMs for now. If further odd behaviour shows up I'll try to investigate further.

Comparing against my collection of bins...

43b3a9f5e1c762af0b3bb6cc71aafb84 *basic-4-b000.901465-23.bin
398217f35fa50417c7e84883a93a349b *basic-4-c000.901465-20.bin
ab780e94772dca756a0678a17b5bc3a2 *basic-4-d000.901465-21.bin
b76d756e7ac8752ae0035f3ce5f1383c *edit-4-40-n-50Hz.901498-01.bin
16ec21443ea5431ab63d511061054e6f *kernal-4.901465-22.bin

Last edited:
Back