• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CBM Pet 4032 DOA

thanks Dave :)

No its easy enough , i discharged the CRT and took the board completely off. The heatsink has 2 cross head screws holding it down and one on the regulator too, unscrew them and pull the 2x tabs back and lift the regulator up straight.
The heatsink lift cleanly off. You can unsolder the reg from underneath easily. refitting is the reverse but i put a smidge of heatsink past on the reg before screwing it down.

i popped 2x clips for the voltmeter on the reg before powering up so i don't have to try and put probes inside there - far to easy the short something or get electrocuted.

easy job really.

mike.

Ive had the PET on all day today testing it ;-)

and as i had nothing to do this evening i thought i make a game from memory and do it on the pet keyboard , which is really easy to use actually..

As my PET is working great now , i thought i had better sully it with my poor programming skills

This game is based from memory on a Ti99/4a game that i used to play in around 1981 i think , from a cassette pack called term fun pac or fun pac2 i forget which.

They were all amateur basic games released by virgin just before games got professional looking.

mike.

Attachments

• IMG_3555.jpg
    IMG_3555.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3556.jpg
    IMG_3556.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3557.jpg
    IMG_3557.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 2
That keyboard is a Commodore BASIC programmer's dream come true. You can code all day long without ever needing the shift key.

The first thing I did when I got my PET working was write a pretty slick Breakout clone. Unfortunately I've lost most of it due to file corruption. there's something wrong with my disk drive.

what a pain , I'm using the .tap player to save and load from. its faultless.

Im loving basic v4 , i used to use the c64 basic a little and that was awful. my only moan would be the cursor key up/down/left right ....i regular press the wrong way or hit del / insert ....grrrrr

my skills are term basic , id like to program an invaders clone and a break out clone - no idea how :)

My only problem with any C= keyboard is trying to use a "normal" one afterward! That blasted dollar sign: """"

The only thing that bugs me about the PET after programming the C64 so long is the lack of KERNAL functions. I got very used to file I/O the '64 way and really miss the software RS232. Someday I have to learn how to use the HPIB bus the hard way. I'd really like to port my assembler to the PET and have a few other projects in mind that just won't work with a few missing KERNAL routines.

Ha ha I tried to use the pet emulator ... I gave up, damn keys all over the place.

I need to study the sound on the pet.. I suppose tunes are possible?

Certainly.

I ported a Morse code training program (and greatly) improved it and it works fabulously on my PET. The same program doesn't work as well on the C64 because BASIC garbage collection interferes with the timing. It sounds like a sloppy fist which actually isn't a terrible thing.

Send me your email address in a PM and ill try and send you a video of a prank I pulled off with the sound from my PET

Back