• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CFFA3000 disk images not mounting.

Rick71

I have a ROM 1 IIgs with a CFFA3000 in slot 7, a 2 meg RamFastGS and 2 Apple 3.5" dosks atached to the disk port.. Disk ][ is assigned to slot 4 with 4 set to Your Card. Slot 7 is assigned to Your Card. I have a DOS 3.3 disk images assigned to S6,D1 and 2. Neither of them show on the desktop.
Anyone have any idea what might be wrong and how I can access them? I'd like to copy them to physical disks.

Assign the cffa images to other slot than 6 and leave the physical 5.25 drive to slot 6 in the computer`s setup. What is RamfastGS?

Assign the cffa images to other slot than 6 and leave the physical 5.25 drive to slot 6 in the computer`s setup. What is RamfastGS?
The cffa Disk ii assignments are set to slot 4. Slot 4 is set to your card in the GS control panel. The cffa3000 is in slot 7. Slot 6 is set to disk.
The card is actually a Rampak 4GS, a ram memory card for the GS. It has 2 megs on it.

I was just checking my CFFA3K and couldn't get Copy II+ to mount, then I remembered to check the control panel settings. If you're going to mount 5.25 disk images from the CFFA3K you need to have slot 6 set to "Your Card" otherwise the GS is assuming that your trying to run something from the physical drive. Hope this helps.

magnus

I just reread your post. If you are running GS/OS are those physical drives you have set to slot 4 or the 5.25 drives for the CFFA3K? If you look at the CFFA3K control panel it is expecting the 5.25 disk images in slot 6. Also I take it you don't care about using the mouse in GS/OS then since slot 4 is the mouse port.

magnus

I just reread your post. If you are running GS/OS are those physical drives you have set to slot 4 or the 5.25 drives for the CFFA3K? If you look at the CFFA3K control panel it is expecting the 5.25 disk images in slot 6. Also I take it you don't care about using the mouse in GS/OS then since slot 4 is the mouse port.

magnus
I have 2 3 1/2" drives and 2 5 1/4" drives attached to the disk port/smart port. Slot 6 is set to disk port at present. it has been set to Your Card in the past (no difference in actions). I still have mouse control with slot 4 set to your card. There are a few references on the web that say that if you want to access physical drives at the same time as the CFFA emulated Disk ][s assign the emulated drives to slot 4.

Please try to boot with PR#6 from the physical drive first and then with PR#4 from the cffa drive and report back the results of this troubleshooting. You can cancel the boot of GSOS with an early reset.

Please try to boot with PR#6 from the physical drive first and then with PR#4 from the cffa drive and report back the results of this troubleshooting. You can cancel the boot of GSOS with an early reset.

I have found there are some other things going on. I do believe my 36 year old motherboard battery is dead. Who'da thought?
For some reason, GS/OS reboots during the boot process from the CFFA. This resets the slots to defaults so slot 4 returns to mouse port so the systme never reognizes slot 4 as Your Card.
I'm going to order a new battery and see what that does.

If you haven't already done so now would be a good time to relocate the battery to an off-board battery holder.

The holder arrived and is installed with a new battery. 3.6 at each of the battery solder pads. It appears there are 2 bridged pads on each side of the battery.
The control panel is still losing it's settings.

I assume you mean the two solder pads near the "+" symbol and not that there is 3.6v also at the two pads near the "-" symbol? Can you check if there is 3.6 V at TP99 and TP100 and pin 8 of the RTC chip UG3? Does the system manage to keep time while the power is off?

iigs-battery.JPGScreen Shot 2022-09-27 at 21.24.00.png

I assume you mean the two solder pads near the "+" symbol and not that there is 3.6v also at the two pads near the "-" symbol? Can you check if there is 3.6 V at TP99 and TP100 and pin 8 of the RTC chip UG3? Does the system manage to keep time while the power is off?

View attachment 1246711View attachment 1246712

I have seen several pictures showing the 2 pads either end of the battery bridged, and several pictures showing the battery leads soldered to either solder pad at the end of the battery.
If I am remembering correctly what I did, I measured voltage between the solder pads at the ends of the battery.
I don't read schematics. I don't know which components are TP99, TP100 or UG3 unless it is silk screened on the board. I'll take a look in the morning, Ian permitting.
I removed the CFFA and restarted the GS without it and the slot 4 Your Card setting would stick between restarts. With the CFFA in and booting GS/OS slot 4 resets to default. Hopefully I can get a bootable ProDOS image and see if it will boot and not reset the slots. My 3.5" drives have pretty much died so I'll also try booting from ta 5.5" drive and see if the slot 4 setting holds.

Booting from a bootable 5 1/4 disk I can make changes to the slots and the changes persist between cold/hard boots.

Last edited:
This my progress so far:
GS:
Slot 2: My Card
Slot 7: My Card.
Boot from slot 2 (GS doesn't find ProDOS when boot set to scan)

CFFA3000
In slot 2
Disk ][ emulation set to slot 7

5.25 A, B are then mapped to slot 7.
5.25 C, D are mapped to slot 6

I have been able to copy files from a physical 5.25 (ProDOS 8 floppy) to
the emulated hard drive.
An emulated DOS 3.3 disk assigned to S6,D1 mounts on the desktop and can
be opened.

IMO this is immense progress. More research to follow.

As far as I remember //GS is only able to provide its built-in controller at slot 6 for physical 5.25 drives. You must move the emulates ones to a different slot.

I have my present setup listed above. The emulated 5 1/4 drives are set to slot 7. The physical drives are set to slot 6 and are plugged into the disk port.

Your description is somewhat different.
With the CFFA moved to slot 2 and the emulated 5 1/4 disks assigned to slot 7 I can now access physical disks and emulated disks. This different than my original setup.

Back