• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

China to ditch all Windows PCs by 2022

The article refers to Chinese governmental installations. It has nothing to do with the civilian market. As China holds to an intensive surveillance approach for cybersecurity, this comes as no surprise.

That may be, but if China can come up an OS that competes with Windows, it could be a major challenge. Especially if large China manufacturing also buys into it.
Corporations spend huge amounts of money for IT.

I have worked in manufacturing my entire adult life and have seen how global corporations will sell out to any place that produces the cheapest product.
The company I am currently working for is outsourcing to China and India at an alarming rate. Machine shops that were making parts locally are going out of business because of it.

It had better be working correctly now. Two years isn't really enough time to do a national install of anything.

Will China make available any of the bug fixes this process will surely generate?

Again, the official distro has been in the works for a couple of years now and the proposed course of action is to install it in governmental offices, a relatively well-defined user community.

AFAIK, there are no proposals to force the population (both individual and corporate) to use the thing. FWIW there are many Chinese-language distros out there.

(And I've been known to use Baidu and Yandex search sites).

What Chuck said....

If China comes up with a gov't/military OS you can rest assured that no civilians will have access to it -- and still be living to tell about it.

What starts in the government and military can be modified and and implemented in the consumer market(minus the heavy security measures).

When I was taking electronics courses at community college, one of my instructors made a comment to our class that most of the major breakthroughs in electronics were made in the military. Later the technology was passed on to the consumer market.

People forget or don't want to acknowledge that China is Communist and what goes along with that. The citizens are told that they are the true owners of industry in their country. Instead of profits from sales going to a small number of rich investors, the government takes those profits and pumps them back into infrastructure and manufacturing.

So to say it will never happen? I say never say never!

That may be, but if China can come up an OS that competes with Windows, it could be a major challenge. Especially if large China manufacturing also buys into it.
It's hard to compete in the international market with an Operating System likely to consist of grey-area reverse engineered or stolen code.

Actually, it's a pretty smart move on China's part. If you want a nearly hack-proof platform, release no technical details on it and restrict distribution. Now that hacking has been nationally weaponized, I understand China's thinking.

That new Chinese OS had better work better than their light bulb from Lowes or they're in deep poo.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet good money that it'll be Linux-based, and derived from FOSS in general. China in general doesn't innovate, they just copy/steal.

My issues with the Chinese government aside, it doesn't really come as a great shock to me that a foreign power would sour on an OS where you now have to pay for enterprise licensing to stop it from phoning home to tell Redmond about what you're doing with your workstation. The really astonishing thing is that our government is still using it.

I am sure China pays very little to Microsoft for Windows anyway. Any new OS they create will need updates and an army of programmers who would take bribes to install CIA spyware anyway.

This makes perfect sense really. Using Windows increases their dependency on the US and gives the US a way to spy on them.

If it were successful in government, I would not at all be surprised if some percent of the general population would adopt it (or some version of it, perhaps with China's own telemetry/spying).

Unfortunately, it could just be posturing to get a better licensing deal. I seem to recall German government tried something like that for a while and eventually just reverted back to Windows.

That new Chinese OS had better work better than their light bulb from Lowes or they're in deep poo.
Having just compared a couple of identical LED light bulbs bought at the same time - one used often, the other not - and noticing how dim the used one is now, I just have to second that.

I 2nd the Linux OS. Being open source you can see what the system is doing. Been using it for years and it competes good against a Win 10 machine. Gamers won't like it but business will.

framer

There are two Linux based systems they currently use - both heavily customised for the Chinese market - Kylin and NeoKylin. The two are currently merging. It's not just government either - even by 2015 Dell was shipping Kylin on over 40% of systems it sold in China.

I'd disagree with the 'doesn't innovate' - there is plenty of Chinese innovation in Linux.

Alan

They can do so, why not. But latest if they have to exchange MS office documents with other organisations, they will get in panic. Because with a little more complex docx and xlsx files they will fail, Libre Office is horrible with that, it will mess up embedded graphics and so on. Try to open a Power Point presentation in Livre office and have a look, it's like a joke, specially if you change something and reopen in Power Point.

Back