• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Midwest Cleaning house, request advice

Covers: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio

clh333

Veteran Member
Delivery Options
In Country Shipping or Local Pickup
I have been collecting old computers, components and peripherals for many years but recently, due to my wife's illness, I haven't had the time to devote to the hobby. Additionally, due to her need for managed care, I have decided it's time to move from our home of 33 years. This presents a problem as a lot of equipment will need to be "de-accessioned".

I am asking for your advice, therefore, how best to proceed. I have working machines from Apple, AT&T, Atari, Commodore, IBM, Kaypro, Morrow, Radio Shack and other lesser brands or custom-builts as well as some project machines in need of TLC. I have spare drives, both floppy (5.25 and 8 inch) and hard drives (PATA, SCSI, MFM), keyboards, motherboards, modems, monitors and a raft of ISA and PCI cards, not to mention cables etc.

I apologize for the non-standard method of announcing my interest in selling: Cataloging all of this as well as estimating shipping, while caring for my invalid wife, is out of the question. I'd like therefore to solicit PMs from any interested parties concerning their specific interests. "Whaddya got?" will probably not receive a response but if the question is "Do you have any Tandon floppy drives?" the answer is "Yes." Make me an offer: I'd prefer the items go to interested and knowledgeable enthusiasts in this community, whose advice and help I have enjoyed all these years, to selling through eBay. I'm not looking to get rich; I want to clean house.

Some things are just too big to ship, in my opinion, but that's up to you. (I drove all over the eastern half of the country collecting this material.) Local pickup (northeastern Ohio) is always an option.

The VCF forum monitors may decide that this post is inappropriate for this forum, in which case I apologize. Please let me know how to proceed in that case.

-CH-

I have been collecting old computers, components and peripherals for many years but recently, due to my wife's illness, I haven't had the time to devote to the hobby. Additionally, due to her need for managed care, I have decided it's time to move from our home of 33 years. This presents a problem as a lot of equipment will need to be "de-accessioned".

I am asking for your advice, therefore, how best to proceed. I have working machines from Apple, AT&T, Atari, Commodore, IBM, Kaypro, Morrow, Radio Shack and other lesser brands or custom-builts as well as some project machines in need of TLC. I have spare drives, both floppy (5.25 and 8 inch) and hard drives (PATA, SCSI, MFM), keyboards, motherboards, modems, monitors and a raft of ISA and PCI cards, not to mention cables etc.

I apologize for the non-standard method of announcing my interest in selling: Cataloging all of this as well as estimating shipping, while caring for my invalid wife, is out of the question. I'd like therefore to solicit PMs from any interested parties concerning their specific interests. "Whaddya got?" will probably not receive a response but if the question is "Do you have any Tandon floppy drives?" the answer is "Yes." Make me an offer: I'd prefer the items go to interested and knowledgeable enthusiasts in this community, whose advice and help I have enjoyed all these years, to selling through eBay. I'm not looking to get rich; I want to clean house.

Some things are just too big to ship, in my opinion, but that's up to you. (I drove all over the eastern half of the country collecting this material.) Local pickup (northeastern Ohio) is always an option.

The VCF forum monitors may decide that this post is inappropriate for this forum, in which case I apologize. Please let me know how to proceed in that case.

-CH-
Would be very interested in which kaypro and morrow systems you have. My first really “complete” computer in college was a kaypro ii (had an OSI in high school)- I was probably the first person in the dorm with a computer. They would be cared for. Also I have been looking for an Atari 1040ST

Where are you located?

-CH-
I am sorry to hear about your situation. Although they were not mentioned, if you have any LISP machines (TI, Symbolics, Xerox or otherwise) or old Suns (pre-sparc) or Apollos, I would be likely to come out from NYC to provide them a good home. If I were to do that I would be able to bring back other things to NYC for other members as well.

I'm very sorry that you find yourself in this situation, but it seems like you've got your priorities straight. I commend your dedication to your wife and family. In my opinion, you have two options. You can accept an offer for all of the vintage computer items from a reseller who will come, inventory everything for you and pick everything up. Or find a local estate sale manager in your area who will help you get rid of everything for a commission. It sounds to me like you really need option two here.

I'm very sorry that you find yourself in this situation, but it seems like you've got your priorities straight. I commend your dedication to your wife and family. In my opinion, you have two options. You can accept an offer for all of the vintage computer items from a reseller who will come, inventory everything for you and pick everything up. Or find a local estate sale manager in your area who will help you get rid of everything for a commission. It sounds to me like you really need option two here.
Thank you for your suggestions, both of which I have considered. The problem with estate sales is that the seller usually wants to hold them on your premises, which would only add to the chaos I am experiencing now. As for resellers, it's tempting but I hate the thought of having systems I have built torn apart and sold piece by piece, which any sensible entrepreneur would do to maximize return.

So I guess I have to find a sympathetic, reliable, trustworthy, nearby reseller. Me and Diogenes.

In the meantime: Yes, I have a 1040 ST, a MEGA and two 520 STs plus external drives and color and monochrome monitors. Yes I have IDE and SCSI HDs, ranging from about 500 MB to 250 GB. Yes I have 6 Kaypros, from II to 10. The motherboards (386, 486, 586 VESA) are in systems as are the 8087s and will not be separated. No LISP machines.

-CH-

I’d be interested in anything multibus (especially Sun or SGI), anything VME (especially Sun), any i860 gear, or early networking hardware (Cisco, Proteon, UB). I am also looking for a Sol-20 and an Amiga 1000 keyboard or two.

Sounds like folks already want the pre-Sparc Suns - I would too! But if there are any Sun Sparc machines (Sparcstation 1,2,5,10,20 etc) and associated peripherals that would be up my alley.

AT&T - 3B1, 3B2, and any of the early Intel like Starservers as well. Oh yeah, and a cheap SGI Octane :)

I’d be interested in anything multibus (especially Sun or SGI), anything VME (especially Sun), any i860 gear, or early networking hardware (Cisco, Proteon, UB). I am also looking for a Sol-20 and an Amiga 1000 keyboard or two.
Sorry, none of the above.

-CH-

Sounds like folks already want the pre-Sparc Suns - I would too! But if there are any Sun Sparc machines (Sparcstation 1,2,5,10,20 etc) and associated peripherals that would be up my alley.

AT&T - 3B1, 3B2, and any of the early Intel like Starservers as well. Oh yeah, and a cheap SGI Octane :)
Sorry, none of the above. Strictly vanilla.

-CH-

Anything speech synthesizer / voice synthesizer related?

I'm also looking for anything unique / unusual. If you have any ISA cards that are outside of the space of the usual multifunction card, or hard drive controller, or whatnot...

My other current area of focus is S-100 and Heathkit H8 stuff.

Thank you for your suggestions, both of which I have considered. The problem with estate sales is that the seller usually wants to hold them on your premises, which would only add to the chaos I am experiencing now. As for resellers, it's tempting but I hate the thought of having systems I have built torn apart and sold piece by piece, which any sensible entrepreneur would do to maximize return.

So I guess I have to find a sympathetic, reliable, trustworthy, nearby reseller. Me and Diogenes.

In the meantime: Yes, I have a 1040 ST, a MEGA and two 520 STs plus external drives and color and monochrome monitors. Yes I have IDE and SCSI HDs, ranging from about 500 MB to 250 GB. Yes I have 6 Kaypros, from II to 10. The motherboards (386, 486, 586 VESA) are in systems as are the 8087s and will not be separated. No LISP machines.

-CH-

I grew up up in a suburb of your listed location. I am sure that if I saw your collection, I would be wide-eyed and salivating. I have to remind myself that I am NOT a collector. I wanted to respond because your situation is both sad, normal and, in a very real way, celebratory.

1. You are not and can not sell the memories.
2. Obviously, you have developed and maintained a great deal of skills and knowledge in the area and you are not selling that either. But you did that. Achievements, knowledge pleasure, production, successes, failures - all that. A lot of folks are not so lucky, that is the celebratory part. Also, you are just downsizing, not quitting..."de-accessioned", I like that term. Reminds me of a friend who, every time he would be scrutinized over a certain kind of purchase, he would claim that he was simply "reallocating his assets".

A combination of strategies to achieve the goal ....something like a targeted distribution of selected pieces for those that are truly interested and understand carrying on the torch (which means getting a lot of pleasure out of it as you do) followed by the search for the closest you can find to the "sensible entrepreneur" seems about right to me. Hope it works out well.

I have no idea if this has ever been contemplated, but they could have done something like a silent auction at VCF for things like this (and other donations to VCF that were working or they got into working order)
with VCF, you could limit bidders to VCF members to prevent re-sellers from getting the items and getting them into the hands of collectors who appreciate this stuff.

If you could give us a list of what you've got, at least the highlights, I bet we can find new homes for them.

Hi,

Can't anybody notice how old this thread is? The poster's last response was in 2015! He's not around anymore!

I have been posting on VCF since 2015 but this thread started Saturday. Last time I checked I was still around... somewhere.

I thank everyone for their comments and suggestions but I need to explain that it is currently impossible for me to catalog (identify, price, depict, describe and list) all of the items. My time is limited as my wife needs 24/7 care and I have aides to supervise and a household to run as well.

I'm coming around to the idea of a "VCFNEO"; find an agent to hold a public event at a designated place and time and let interested parties come pick over the lot. All sales final, cash and carry or find your own shipper. I don't know if it can be arranged but it seems possible.

-CH-

Hi, clh333 ... I sent you a message, but never received any reply ???

Back