• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CoCo Spectacular program file

chuckcmagee

Veteran Member
EDIT: Make that Color Disk Spectaculator program!!!

Even us guys with 35+ years of computer experience screw up (rather often, in fact). Before my new 5.25 disks arrived, I managed to overwrite the "DOS.BAS" file on my SPECTACULAR program disk. If someone has a copy of that file, please email me a copy OR let me know how to LOADM the SPEC.BIN file. I obviously can do the LOADM command in BASIC but it just comes back to the OK after loading it. I could have sworn from reading the DOS manual that it was supposed to run the binary program but no luck so far. Plus it does NOT display any load info like starting location, beginning execution address or any of that stuff. I'm just getting starting screwing around with the CoCos and don't know all the little CoCo tricks yet. I'm already good at the M100 and M102 tricks.

chuckcmagee <at> msn DOT com.

Last edited:
loadm loads the image. I thought you then need to exec to run the image. I cannot verify this though.

Yep, the exec gets me farther along in the process. I think it is actually running the "spec.bin" program file and I just don't have the video mode set properly or something. I can hear the disk drive go chunk chunk chunk as it reads in the spec.bin file after the exec command. Of course, I'm really mad that I didn't name the saved file something other than DOS. I poked around with DSKI$ to see if it was like MS-DOS and left the old file there but unallocated. No such luck, used the same "granules" that the original file was in so original is gone gone gone.

Chuckle, that's the problem with all the vintage computers -- they all have *vintage* commands also.

LOADM"DOS.BIN"
EXEC

Works great without any parms on the exec statement.

LOADM"SPEC.BIN"
EXEC

Has a bunch of disk activity, then just sits there with no changes to the screen.

Not that any of this is super important. SPEC.BIN is just a spreadsheet program for the CoCo. It's not like I need the program for anything. I was just pissed that I overwrote the original DOS.BAS file and now can't get the spreadsheet program to work anymore.

It's the 8201 that uses EXEC with an address parm, it's really just the same as the M100 CALL except you have to poke the parms in NEC land, can't pass them on the EXEC line.

Back