• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore 8250LP drive won't format

zippysticks

Veteran Member
Hi everyone

Drive 0 won't format but does seem to read and write correctly on a disk formatted in drive 1.
Drive 1 does everything correctly so I assume a problem is with the drive 0 mechanism rather than the control logic.

The format process starts but the head does not seem to step through the tracks and eventually errors with 21, read error,78,01,0.
None of the data on the disk is modified as a result so it seems the format never actually gets started.

Any ideas please ?

Thanks

Have you cleaned the heads and checked the speed ?

If you have then likely the top head is faulty…

Hello, the LP drives (if I remember there are Panasonic drives in it) suffer from leaking capacitors.

Dave Curran has done a good job documenting the replacement:

If you didn't already, I recommend you replace the power inlet filter as well. Depending on the parts used inside they blow up like RIFA capacitors.

One other bit of help .. have you replaced the capacitors on the drive boards ? If not you must as they will leak.

There is a much better link from this website on how to dismantle the drive and replace the caps. I have refurbished 3 units and found the same issue as you with one of them but leaky caps on most of them. Use google translate option to get it into English.

Last edited:
I was unable to fix the format issue on one of my drives as the upper head was faulty and converted the drive to a 8050

If drive 0 does really read and write correctly (with a disk formatted from drive 1) then the read/write heads must be OK.

I would check the sector pulse, write protect and track zero sensor signals from drive 0 first; then look at the tachometer (speed signal) - if it is fitted; and finally the erase head.

The technical manual describes the resistances of the various head windings (erase and read/write), so this should be a simple thing to check with a multimeter.

If the erase head has gone (or the circuitry driving it has gone) west, then this may be your root cause?

Dave

If drive 0 does really read and write correctly (with a disk formatted from drive 1) then the read/write heads must be OK.

I would check the sector pulse, write protect and track zero sensor signals from drive 0 first; then look at the tachometer (speed signal) - if it is fitted; and finally the erase head.

The technical manual describes the resistances of the various head windings (erase and read/write), so this should be a simple thing to check with a multimeter.

If the erase head has gone (or the circuitry driving it has gone) west, then this may be your root cause?

Dave
Don’t quite follow Dave. The read write heads can read a floppy but the 8250 is double sided so you may not be exercising the upper head and using the lower head. That’s why it can be configured as a 8050 The first thing as a must is to replace the caps and then check the speeds using the dial tools downloadable from zimmers.net as well as check the resistances as you pointed out. It’s a common reported issue with this drive.

That is why I queried whether it does really read and write correctly. If it is a 'simple' test and is not exercising the upper head - then that is not (in my mind) a thorough test (testing both read/write heads)...

Before wielding a soldering iron - you should always obtain as much information from the patient as possible first.

All you are saying to do is to replace the capacitors first. All I am saying is to do the tests first...

Dave

Dave, …. changing the caps is a must as they are certain to leak … which can also cause issues with the drive. Sorting that first by following the procedure outlined in the link I provided is the first cause of action in my humble opinion…. There are many occasions where it breaks tracks due to leakage. Formatting disks on the LP is very speed sensitive also …

Doing anything else maybe useful .. but limited value until you check for cap leakage on those drives …

Last edited:
The diagnostic program for the 8250lp also tests both heads … it’s in the 8296d diagnostic image. not by laptop to find the link. The program will show speed so you can adjust and also then you can do a radial alignment check for both heads

The diagnostic program for the 8250lp also tests both heads … it’s in the 8296d diagnostic image. not by laptop to find the link. The program will show speed so you can adjust and also then you can do a radial alignment check for both heads
Sorry Andy, do you have an image of floppy disk with the diagnostic program for 8250lp drive?

Back