• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore P500

I can think of at least a few good reasons why it doesnt work. For a "collector" who's owned it for that long, I expect he knows full well how to test it, and likely has. Je also likely knows that a green power lamp is no indication that it works.

I hope the buyer doesn't end up with a dead 6509.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Sorry simplex I take it you might be bidding?

I can think of at least a few good reasons why it doesnt work. For a "collector" who's owned it for that long, I expect he knows full well how to test it, and likely has. Je also likely knows that a green power lamp is no indication that it works.

I hope the buyer doesn't end up with a dead 6509.

You definitely need to be aware when buying a B Series/P500, it is annoying when people don't test when all you need is a power lead and a TV.
As we all know the chances of getting a 6509 are pretty slim and I have had a couple that have failed P500 and B710 so they may be prone to failure.

I think they are failure prone, and unfortunately unobtainable.It's a shame I don't have time,it would sure be fun to build a plug-in board based on a 6502 to emulate it.

You definitely need to be aware when buying a B Series/P500, it is annoying when people don't test when all you need is a power lead and a TV.
As we all know the chances of getting a 6509 are pretty slim and I have had a couple that have failed P500 and B710 so they may be prone to failure.

I agree. It's probably tested...
An "untested" P500 will probably sell for more than a "tested not working" P500. And a "tested working" will get even more, so any real "collector" would want to test it. I'm betting he did, and it is non-working.

There was discussion on 6502.org on making a replacement 6509 cpu with a 6502 and some logic chips. It would be nice if someone could take that discussion and make a working replacement for sure.

Steve

So anyone bought the machine?, I was following the auction from the beginning; but I'm out of budget right now. Btw, isn't it 686GBP too much for an untested machine?:crazy:

I'm really curious to see if the P500 is in working state, I hope so.

It's not too much for an untested machine, it's far, far too much for a broken CBM-II, in my opinion.

Nah... I would have bid if they were still at 1990s prices :cool:

Looking at some recent c= auctions, I think at least a couple of new & extremely wealthy collectors have hit the scene!

Is this just a blip or are Pet prices going to keep rising up and up, when looking on ebay even rough ones are selling well.

I remember missing out on a CMD SuperCPU 128 that went for £120 ish, my computer froze as I was about to bid and the listing ended.

To say I was gutted was an understatement, you can't get one for less than £250 if you are lucky!( I bet nearer £500 )

What irritates me is that the non-working ones sell for more than the working ones. Recently, I wanted to buy a non-working one so I could make it working, but realised I couldn't afford one.

I did manage to get a non-working D9060 for what seems to me like it should have been a "working" price.

Is this just a blip or are Pet prices going to keep rising up and up, when looking on ebay even rough ones are selling well.

Sheesh, it does seem like they're... a bit steep these days. $425 for an estate-sale 2001N-32k that "needs a good cleaning" and no manuals definitely seems a bit overinflated.

I don't know if I'd necessarily bet on it being a permanent upward trajectory, though. I've "spot checked" the prices now and then ever since I joined the PET club with a few units I got for *free* back in 2011 and it seems like they wax and wane pretty randomly.

Back