• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore PET 2001-8 Question

There is a way of testing the pins with a multimeter set to read resistance. Set the lowest range possible on your multimeter.

Obviously, do this test with the PET power off...

Pin 1 of H4 should be connected to pin 1 of H7.
Pin 2 of H4 should be connected to pin 2 of H7.

Likewise for all of the remaining pins of the ROMs in sockets H4 and H7.

This is also true for EVERY pin of EVERY ROM - except pin 3. For example, pin 1 of H1, H2, H3, ..., H7 should all be connected together.

Try not to apply too much pressure to the multimeter probes. We are looking for a mechanical (IC socket) defect, so pressing too hard on the pins may cause a connection to be made when it was faulty. This defeats the object of the test!

If you find any issues, post them and I will have a look.

Do you have a logic probe or oscilloscope? There are better ways of testing this using the EAzy link of the ROMulan if you do!

Dave

After several thorough cleanings of H4 and H7 I get this scree, There is a blinking cursor but camera speed missed it.

Attachments

• petscreen37.jpg
    petscreen37.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
Very few. I tried cleaning the 6520 socket and pins and initially the KB responded and then didn't

It is more likely the keyboard itself then.

Perhaps leave it there for tonight and reconvene tomorrow?

You very nearly have a working PET 2001!

Just out of interest, do you have a tape deck or disk drive for the unit?

Dave

I do have the original tape deck and an external deck. I replaced the belts on both. However, the internal deck does not yet work. External one does in both ports.

Looks like a good outcome here - well done for cracking this.
I have just got hold of a mostly non-working 2001 and have learned quite a lot from this thread. Will probably come back for some help once my ROM/RAM replacement test board arrives from futurewas8bit. Its an early '77 8K model and I'm already dreading the prospect of finding 6550 and 6540 replacements.

Monotech in NZ do a very nice 6550 replacement.

They have a 6540 coming along shortly (apparently). You can already see a photograph if you look on the website for the 6550.

Dave

Back