• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Portable Restorations

Grimjaw

I am restoring a couple of Compaq Portables. Unfortunately, I was not aware of this forum until well into the process or I would have taken more pictures.

One unit, I bought from a friend. It had just 256K and one 360K floppy when he originally purchased it. Over time, he added an I/O + clock board, a 2nd 360K floppy, upgraded to 640K, added a Maynard Surprise board, and later a BreakThru 286. After I bought it from him, I added a hard drive and controller, a VGA card, an Intel Inboard 386, an AST Six Pak Premium, and other upgrades. This was my computer, even though I had worked with main frames and mini computers for quite a few years before acquiring it. I'll call this one #1 (very original, right?)

The other unit was purchased cheap at a surplus store. I bought it for parts, if needed and only booted it up once with a floppy disc. I'll call this one #2.

After sitting in a closet for many years, I have decided to restore them both. I stared by tearing #1 down to the bare metal cage, washing the plastic case parts, cleaning the power supply, video unit, motherboard, and all the cards and drives that I have. I replaced all of the foil and foam pads in the keyboard. I reassembled it with the VGA card, a floppy controller, a 3.5" high density (1.44M) floppy drive and an I/O + clock card.

Of course, there is a lot of pomp and circumstance with an event such as booting up an old computer for the first time in over 20 years. #1 got into the spirit of the event with a fireworks display. The I/O board blew a capacitor with the expected flash, pop, and curl of smoke. After I removed the I/O board, it booted right up with a FreeDOS floppy disc I had prepared with my Windows PC and a USB 3.5" floppy drive.

Note here: DO NOT format a floppy on a Windows PC if it is to be used for DOS on a vintage computer. Windows formats floppies in a way that makes them unusable on a DOS machine. I used a floppy that was formatted from the factory. Fortunately, it was still usable. Now I format any floppies I need in the Compaq before transferring any files or images to in on the Windows PC.

Next, I installed the hard drive controller and the hard drive that had been in the computer when stored. I was amazed and pleased to find that the data on the hard drive was not corrupted by time. I have tried all of the other mfm hard drives I have. All but one still work. The data on one had been corrupted by time, but now that it has been reformatted, it works fine. Another will not spin. The rest all work fine.

Currently, I have the original video/printer port card install, a floppy controller and the 3.5" floppy, and a hard drive controller and hard disk. I am doing some benchmarking and will start testing and adding other boards as I go. Below is a picture of the system with the internal monitor, and a CGA monitor attached to the external port of the video card. More later... Compaq Port-1 with CGA Monitor-2.jpg

Nice, here's my current unit, have replaced the typical exploding capacitors on the motherboard, floppy/parallel board, and VDU. And restored the floppy drive. XT-IDE next. The keyboard was restored with new foam, is yours ok?
20220806_113106 (2) (Large).jpg

Nice, here's my current unit, have replaced the typical exploding capacitors on the motherboard, floppy/parallel board, and VDU. And restored the floppy drive. XT-IDE next. The keyboard was restored with new foam, is yours ok?
View attachment 1244861
Yes, it's working very well except for the space key. I may have to take it apart and re-seat or replace the pad or figure out something else that is making it hang and insert multiple spaces or non-stop spaces until another key is hit. Probably the pad is not seating quite right.

You have a nice RGBI monitor and a 720k floppy. You know what this means: you have to try the Area 5150 demo! 8088MPH! ran fine on my portable. Time to check out the new demo and let us know how it works.

You have a nice RGBI monitor and a 720k floppy. You know what this means: you have to try the Area 5150 demo! 8088MPH! ran fine on my portable. Time to check out the new demo and let us know how it works.
I'll give Area 5150 a look. Thanks!

Actually, it's a 1.44M drive. I have an aftermarket controller in it for that. Makes installing software requiring multiple 360K discs much easier! I wish I still had my dual 5.25" + 3.5" floppy drive, but it's long gone.

I'll give Area 5150 a look. Thanks!

Actually, it's a 1.44M drive. I have an aftermarket controller in it for that. Makes installing software requiring multiple 360K discs much easier! I wish I still had my dual 5.25" + 3.5" floppy drive, but it's long gone.
Lucky you. Maybe not as authentic, but makes sneaker net much easier.

8088mph looks great on the green compaq portable 1.. plus its stock video card has composite color out.. cant beat that (just make sure to hit the CGA font keyswitch as the composite video out is off by default!)

REPLACE THOSE TANTALUMS... ALL of them. on the cards and on the mainboard... Thats pretty much the extent of most compaq portables problems.. That and rebuilding the foam/foil keytronic KB.

Back