• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cork pads for your case

chris_nh

Experienced Member
After not being able to find a good source of cork pads for the bottom of my PC cases, I did some research and found a supplier who will produce new pads to my specifications.

So, check it out ... these are the first samples I received:

DSC00366.jpgDSC00365.jpgDSC00369.jpgDSC00368.jpg

They are made from a blend of neoprene/rubber and cork and backed with an adhesive for easy installation on a case. I think they are a pretty close match to the original types and I'm quite happy with the samples. They come paper backed and peel off nicely. It uses a good quality adhesive.

So here's the deal ... I am having these pads made in two different sizes. First size for the PC case and the other for Model F keyboards. I will eventually have these for sale packaged in sets of 4, but I'd like to first offer them to forum members here if you are interested. The cost works out to about a buck a pad and lets say a buck for postage to your mailbox in the U.S., so if anyone would like a set, shoot me a PM. I will hopefully have these within the next 2-3 weeks.

Comments? Thanks

A little while ago I brought this 40mm Hole Punch off eBay and found a rubberised cork Gasket from a local car shop which looked a lot like the original feet but were about half a millimeter thicker. I figured since they are on the bottom of the case that not being 100% correct wasn't too important.

With the use of a rubber mallet I managed to punch out a couple of dozen of which one example you can see in the picture below. Took a bit of practice to get nice clean cuts (some of the edges were a little bit rough) but again these are feet so it's not like you'll be looking at them. Probably could of used a better method for making these to get a more consistent cleaner cut but I didn't have the tools on hand.

d4abt.jpg

Probably could have also gone down the path of having them professionally made but I enjoyed the end result of having done it myself.

You should be able to laser cut them as well, if you have access to a laser cutter.

When I bought my 5160, the model F keyboard was missing one cork pad. I found this cork sheet from Amazon. It's self-adhesive and 1.5mm thick, which is identical to the stock ones. The diameter is 1" so I had to cut one. The edge was sanded to be perfectly round. The cork sheet has lighter color than the stock one so I used my black pen to randomly "dye" it, including the edge. I think it looks perfect to me, let alone it is on the bottom so it's very unnoticeable. Can you tell which one is what I made from the picture?

DSC_0333.jpg

So, I find it very interesting that not one person has commented about pads I've produced, except to say what THEY did or to refer me to what someone else did 5 years ago. While I think what y'all have done is cool, I was hoping that maybe someone would think what I did was cool.

Oh well.

I've decided to not offer the discount to VCFED members. Y'all can obviously make your own pads, and mine will be available at full price in my ebay store.

It's called autism :p

But a serious question, how well does the adhesive hold these on?

Sometimes it seems like one would need a time machine and/or hazmat license to get adhesives that actually stick and stay on.

It's called autism :p

But a serious question, how well does the adhesive hold these on?

Sometimes it seems like one would need a time machine and/or hazmat license to get adhesives that actually stick and stay on.

Not necessarily. ;-)

Get some 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, AKA "Yellow Death."

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/131-0608-trail-chemicals/photo-17.html

It will stick just about anything to just about anything. But since its a close cousin to contact cement, be very careful not to get it anywhere it isn't wanted and to put the cork pad down where you want it THE FIRST TIME as the bond is nearly instantaneous and comes as close to permanent as anything other than welding.

I've decided to not offer the discount to VCFED members. Y'all can obviously make your own pads, and mine will be available at full price in my ebay store.
That's the type of attitude that will most certainly not add anything to your reputation here.

That's the type of attitude that will most certainly not add anything to your reputation here.

As if nothing else I said was valid. Thank you, sir, you must have stunning reputation and I'm sure people like you.

For the record, I have not received a single message of interest or received a single comment in this thread which would indicate anyone is actually interested in what I'm doing, which is fine because at least all of my IBMs will look nice top and bottom. The decision to rescind the offer is based on the evident lack of interest. I don't make a point of trying to impress people with crap they don't care about.

While you might not have received the immediate response that you had hoped for, it has only been four days since your initial post and it was only three days after your initial post that you rescinded your offer. I only check the forums every week or two and I suspect that I am not alone there. Just an observation. I hope you're able to sell a few sets of these. It's nice to see bits and pieces being made to help restore these vintage machines and accessories.

Back