• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cromemco dazzler replica project

2. Remove ICs 47 and 55 from the Dazzler. Insert some temporary wires into the following pins of IC socket IC55 and connect them to 0V: pins 11, 6, 3 and 14.
So leave 47 removed, and just insert the temp wiring on 55, correct?

Correct.

Leaving 47 out will cause the associated outputs to float high (as a result of the IC inputs they are connected to).

Wiring the outputs of 55 to 0V causes them to be low.

All high pins = white. All low pins = black. I hope...

Dave

It should also double the number of horizontal lines - but you won't be able to see that.

Give me a few minutes to finish up in the kitchen and we will try a few other things...

We can have some fun now!

Dave

Can you set D7 to D0 as follows (using my test program):

0011 1001

In theory, the display should not change from what it is now.

Dave

Can you set D7 to D0 as follows (using my test program):

0011 1001

In theory, the display should not change from what it is now.

Dave

It does not change, still double resolution. The only thing I noticed is setting D4=1 is the lines get very slightly brighter, or potentially like 1 pixel wider.

Well, that should be red - but it looks sort of like cyan/blue to me - but I am green/blue colour blind!

Try various combinations of D2, D1 and D0 from 000 (should be black) to 111 (should be white). The bits 'should' be in the order D2=blue, D1=green and D0=red.

See if you see any difference. We may still need to tweak the colour potentiometers, but don't do that now!

Dave

I get no color at all, just varying levels of white. The thin lines may be slightly blue, but could just be an artifact of my monitor.

Some combinations appear to break the lines up..

like this 0111 1101:
PXL_20240401_194024135.MP.jpg

or with D5=0 (0101 1101)

PXL_20240401_194038169.MP.jpg

Tried this with 2 known good/working color composite monitors & cables.

Hang on a minute, you are adjusting D7 to D0 in my test program and not the wires connected to IC47 and IC55 aren't you?

Dave

OK,

Can we do one more test then for tonight.

Set D7 to D0 in my program back to:

0010 0000

Post a photograph.

Then we will tweak some wires next.

Dave

Next...

Leave IC47 with no wires on it and remove the wires from IC55 pins 11 and 14.

Post another photograph.

Then set D4=1 using my test program.

Post another photograph.

Dave

Back