• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DEC units on ebay

I will take your word. Never seen an automated rejection. Was just curious.
Yeah, they can set up automatic rejections and acceptances. I've had both happen. You know because you literally get a reply the instant you hit the offer send button. No time for a human to react.

What is more interesting is that it's requiring me to sign into paypal to even make an offer. That seems both new, jerky, and yet another annoying step so I ditched my 505 offer.

What is more interesting is that it's requiring me to sign into paypal to even make an offer. That seems both new, jerky, and yet another annoying step so I ditched my 505 offer.

I just noticed that myself today. I wanted to put an offer on an item and had to sign into PayPal first to set it as the default payment option. After the offer was accepted, the PayPal payment was automatically initiated.

I don't know yet if automatic payments will also occur for regular winning high bids that aren't best offer bids. I don't know how that would work if there were post auction end choices you still wanted to make, such as different shipping options or local pickup, or combined shipping if you had the winning bid on multiple items from the same seller.

I suppose sellers might like this change if it decreases late payments or non-payments, but not a great change for buyers.

Yeah, I'm not big on giving Ebay or anyone "default access" to what is a checking account. So no, and if it winds up cutting down on the number of best offers that will not be good for sellers.

$15K for a PDP 8, wow thats aggressive. Prices are getting a bit silly for a lot of stuff at the moment, but the systems just seem to hang around for months sometimes years.

The more something costs the longer you have to wait to unload it. It's not like Picassos are sold every day.

I sold my 8i system that's shown in my avatar for $15k to Paul Allen's museum. But it was a 4 rack working 8i, with a dropped bit problem on the external bus. It had a TC08 and TU56 along with 2 RK02 (or 3's) I don't remember but they were half the capacity of an RK05. It also had a non working 24k core expansion unit. So I thought that justified the price. This 8L is in no way worth what he is asking. No matter how rare, but it's not rare.

Have you also noticed that if you "watch" an item with an "or best offer", you can get an offer sent to you, unsolicited. I found this annoying....if I wanted to make an offer, I would have done so and if I had to get everything set up such that if the offer were accepted, I would have to pay - so be it. But to have offers generated and sent because I put a watch on an item is excessive. What's next, auto-offers because I viewed an item?

Also, this has happened repeatedly and in one case, the offer that was sent to me was significantly lower than the asking price. I let the offer expire and continued to watch and the item was claimed to be sold at the listed price. I don't bid on much at all, but I think I will always put in a lower offer at first.

I sold my 8i system that's shown in my avatar for $15k to Paul Allen's museum. But it was a 4 rack working 8i, with a dropped bit problem on the external bus. It had a TC08 and TU56 along with 2 RK02 (or 3's) I don't remember but they were half the capacity of an RK05. It also had a non working 24k core expansion unit. So I thought that justified the price. This 8L is in no way worth what he is asking. No matter how rare, but it's not rare.
Hm I had an 8/I with an RK08 (the controller backplane took up half a rack) and two RK03 drives. In fact I might still have a platter or two from it. They were 1100bpi drives, so 1/2 the capacity of an RK05. Did yours work? (I loaded OS8 on it from paper tape. Those were the days)

They sort of worked. There was a problem in the external bus (one bit was either stuck or dropped) and I never did figure out what caused it. I did not realize this at the time I ran the RK03 disk test. I even have a video of that running posted on YT. When I later was trying to boot from dectape I learned of the bit issue as I could see what got loaded into memory from a valid boot tape. I believe it was bit 6. No matter if it was stuck or dropped it changed the code loaded into memory. I knew the dectape drive was good as it had been reconditioned before I got it. And I was pretty sure the TC08 was also good. I was able to load code into the 8i that ran fine. I could run Focal and other things. I had hoped to boot OS/8 from dectape. And eventually repair the 24k core module to have a full 32k to run TSS/8. But I was getting ready to move to the southwest so decided selling it was my best option. The other 8i I had I gave to Vince and he still has it. It was semi functional but had some weird issues I think I remember. Even though I like the 8i the 8e would be more preferred now if I ever found one at a reasonable price which I doubt.

Was the RK08 the controller for the RK03's? I thought the RK03 was a DEC-labeled Diablo Series 30 drive?

When I worked at DEC (Santa Clara, CA) there was a half-rack disk controller (8/e positive I/O bus) connected to a floor-standing removeable-pack drive (RP01 or RP02?). Is there any still existing RK08 documentation?

The scrap 8/L and your working 4 rack 8/i just don't compare. From your description the $15k was a good price for that 8/i configuration.
Also Paul Allen had billions to throw around. Very few Ebay buyers have even one million to play with.

True, they don't. I felt $15k was a fair price in 2009. I had collected quite a bit for it over time. I was surprised how much I actually had. It even had 2 DF32's that I never powered up as I know the heads sit on the platter when spun down and upon starting. But the platter did look very nice and kind of blueish. I believe I had the RK08 controller. It was about 1/2 rack of flip chips. I may have some stored docs on the RK08. I am not sure.

I believe I still have the manual for the RK8, the RK03 did not have a badge, it was some sort of very old style Diablo drive. It also had an amazing diagnostic/operator panel, did yours work?

This is a picture of the 8i system I had. Rack #2 at the top was the diag panel for the RK8. Most of the lights worked. I had marked with small bits of tape those that did not work. If I remember the first rack was mostly empty with 2 DF32s at the bottom (never spun up). Rack 2 had the RK8 and one RK03 drive. Rack 3 had the 2nd RK03, paper tape, and the 8i itself. And rack 4 had the TC08 and TU56. The TC08 also had a nice diag panel. I wish I had been able to keep this. But I have move 4 times since I sold it and it would have been a bear (and very expensive) to move it. I wonder what will happen to it since the museum is closed (and defunct?).

Attachments

• my-8i.jpg
    my-8i.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 29
Mine looked very similar, except the RK8 was on the right of the CPU and the PC08 was a later model with the switches like a pdp8/I on it. I checked my records and I sold it on 8/30/2004 for 6k.

So I guess the price went up since then :) I'm sure I have pictures, just have to look through old archives to find things from those years.

Back