• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DECMate II

bolex

Experienced Member
I picked up a DECMate II from a local fellow collector today. It needs a little love, but it looks like it's in decent shape. It's mostly complete, but missing the video cable , the keyboard cable (it's been chewed through by mice) and a space bar.

I found the technical diagram on Bitsavers, but are there any other good repositories of documentation that will help get this up and running? I need to figure out the pin-out of the video cable. I also need a bit of guidance on cleaning and maintaining the RX50's. A link to some disk repositories would be nice too. This is my first DEC. I thought it would make a nice entry project into the DEC Universe.

DSC02457.jpg

Congratulations. It looks decent except for those things you mentioned. There is a post on here about someone making a replacement VR201 cable (at least I think that's what I remember). The keyboard cable shouldn't be too hard to hack. Here is one URL that I have saved for DEC and Rainbow/Decmate files:
https://oldcomputers-ddns.org/public/pub/rechner/dec/rainbow/index.html Good luck. I have one too so if you need some info on a part or something drop me a DM.

There is a post on here about someone making a replacement VR201 cable (at least I think that's what I remember).
Thanks! I found that post and it does look like the video cable is just a straight through cable. I ordered one on eBay. I guess I'll see if that works next week. It seems like the keyboard cable is just an RJ11 from what I can tell. I'll tone the one that I have to verify. I could probably just crimp a new connector on the existing one.

And your VR201 looks like it does not have screen rot from the pictures. The cables should be easy enough to make or find. Did it come with software? Do you know what options it has?

Did it come with software? Do you know what options it has?
Unfortunately, It did not come with any software. I did open it up when I purchased and it does have a card in the first option slot nearest the floppy drives. It looks like it's the APU card. Is that the Z80 add-on?

I believe that is the Z80 add on card. There is a LED that is just for this when you power on you can see it light and then go out to show it's done it's power on test. I thought I had some spare Decmate boards, but they seem to be Rainbow 100 boards. I could likely make you some floppies to at least be able to boot your system. But you may have a way if you have an older PC that has a 5.25 1.2MB drive.

I'll share pictures tomorrow. I plan on completely disassembling, cleaning and lubricating the computer and drives tomorrow. No need to send me the disks. I have plenty of capability/hardware to make any kind of disk. I just need to be pointed to the disk images.

I tore it all down early this morning and took a hose to the power supply and motherboard. They have been drying out in the sun all day. The mud and grime is gone. It was pretty filthy inside. I did my best to clean and lubricate the drive. A power on test seems promising since the head is seeking.

I assume that you know about this collection
Yes. Those are all excellent disks. I made the testdisk in that set hoping it would act differently, but it just seeks at startup - nothing else. I'll have to wait for the video cable to really do anything else. I think the floppy seek is promising though.

I tore it all down early this morning and took a hose to the power supply and motherboard. They have been drying out in the sun all day. The mud and grime is gone. It was pretty filthy inside. ...
Water and electronics don't mix. Yes your mud and grime may be gone, but you have caused permanent damage to the system.
I strongly recommend vacuuming while brushing away dust and grime with a paint brush. Follow up with moderate compressed air (not too close and not full blast).
Any residual grime can be washed off with pure Isopropyl Alcohol or if too expensive Denatured Alcohol. Blow off the bulk of the alcohol with compressed air and let the rest dry by itself.
Maintain static precautions while doing all of the above.
Don't listen to the dishwasher crowd.

I am sure Mitch at Keyways has that video cable. Wont be cheap, but a great source. Pretty sure it is the same cable as used in the Rainbow 100.

If it's the DEC VR201 cable then Yes it's the same between the Rainbow and Decmate II.

For the RX50 check the heads carefully for damage or embedded stuff. Check to see if the pad opposite the head is intact and not about to fall out, reglue if needed. Check the pads to see if they are still intact. Failure will damage disks.

Back