• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Deep cleaning a fax machine scanning head.

Alabamarebel1861

Experienced Member
I need help with my Sharp UX-P100 fax machine if anyone has the time. I gave the scanning glass a good wipe down with a rag but theres still a lot of voided lines in the scan and I can see what apears to be dust under the scanning glass. Any help is appreciated.

I've got a UX-108 here with manuals--is that close enough for me to check the literature to see what it says?

Doubt it would say anything on this matter. I've looked through the manuals of mine and it says nothing about what to do in this situation.

Just a couple of thoughts - if any of this is actually crud stuck to the outside of the scanning assembly, perhaps try spraying some Lysol on a rag to wipe it down. Lysol tends to do a good job getting sticky stuff off.

If there is actually dust inside the scanning element, then it must not be completely sealed. Perhaps look for any openings and spray compressed air there.

If there are scratches, furniture polish like pledge/endust might give a very brief improvement.

The only other options I can think of are either complete disassembly of the scanning element (if that is even possible), or dunking the part in isopropyl alcohol. From my own limited experiences with scanners, those tend to end badly.

Back