• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Desktop or Tower - What's your Preference - 368 / 486

I should have clarified a little more...

I didnt mean the actual ISA slots on the motherboard, I meant the open slots on the back of the 5160 Case. With the 486 MOBO being a little smaller than the XT board, I am thinking the open slots on the back of the 5160 case wont line-up with the slots of the 486 MOBO.

Seeing the pain it was for you Stone, I will probably just put it back into my original 486 desktop case and go from there...

I should have clarified a little more...

I didnt mean the actual ISA slots on the motherboard, I meant the open slots on the back of the 5160 Case. With the 486 MOBO being a little smaller than the XT board, I am thinking the open slots on the back of the 5160 case wont line-up with the slots of the 486 MOBO.
Once again... ISA is ISA. Whether motherboard or case, everything is built to a standard.

As long as they are beige, I'll take either type. :) Forget those pitch black cases with burn-out-your-retina-blue LEDs.

What about computers on wheels? One of my full tower ATX cases came with optional wheels so it could be pushed around a room. Attach a motor and drive it around? :p Now THAT is mobile computing!

How about computers that WERE desks? :p

Like, say, an IBM 1620?

tumblr_nrpaftsyGk1s39zkbo1_1280.jpg

FWIW, take a look at this page--some good pictures there

True. We actually even might have a pad and paper on that desk. Or, more likely, a bowl of Captain Crunch and a Jolt Cola.

;)

But the real desktop hog was the the monitors of those days. I thought I heard angels sing when I got my first flat panel monitor. Suddenly, I had a desk that made sense again.

I like desktops. Even though they steal desktop space, they look more retro. I especially like the full size desktops. If your desk is too small, get a bigger desk.

But the real desktop hog was the the monitors of those days. I thought I heard angels sing when I got my first flat panel monitor. Suddenly, I had a desk that made sense again.

Around 1989, I wanted a large-screen color monitor and I found that Haltek (in Mountain View, long gone) had a bunch of monitors from Daisy CAD workstations. Built-like a tank, Matsushita 20 inchers, SOG on three BNCs, keylock adjustment drawer, thick tinted glass faceplate basically EGA-compatible. Two of us could barely get one into the back seat of my friend's Buick land yacht. Probably somewhere around 90 lbs. or so.

I put it on my plain Hon office desk, where it occupied much of the top and hooked it up and it was wonderful. About a week later, I noticed that the top of the desk was bowed somewhat and the legs of the desk were becoming splayed. I eventually got a big heavy Acco workstation (still have it) to hold the monitor.

They don't build 'em that way any more--and it's a good thing too! :)

I like desktops. Even though they steal desktop space, they look more retro. I especially like the full size desktops.
I've got a couple of desktop cases that I no longer need if you're interested. One is a three bay case and the other is a five bay case with two hidden bays. I used to run two FH Maxtor XT-1140s in that one. :)

I once acquired a ton of PS/2 Model 60s. I didn't have a use for them, so I turned them into a desk, and used that desk for years.

Back