• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Destroyed IBM 5151 Monitor - Anything Useful?

That's good to know, so I could hold onto it for parts, but maybe I'll never need them. What do you all think about powering it up in this condition, safe enough or bad idea? I imagine it'd be easier to sell if I confirm it's functioning.

Would it be a good idea to disconnect the tube prior to moving this? The side of the display with the circuit board isn't entirely intact either, so if it bends the wires could be yanked tight and might crack the tube. From a video it looks like you simply pull the small board behind the cathode straight back to remove it. Then if I end up shipping it anywhere I presume it'd be good to fill the entire monitor cavity with packing material so that it's well padded and nothing can slide around. Perhaps it'd be better to fully disassemble it, though I'm going to need to know how to discharge everything before attempting that.

Bad news, the tube is cracked, but I did disassemble everything, so if any of the intact parts end up being useful for myself or anyone else, I have them. The V-Line knob is partially broken off, but that's probably repairable.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 11
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 10
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 12
  • b4.JPG
    b4.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 11
He's dead, Jim.

If the break didn't happen at the very end of the tube, but rather in a more optimal location, it makes me wonder if a skilled glassblower/glassworker could melt the glass back together while pulling a vacuum to restore the whole CRT.

I know that if the tube is powered while it breaks, the whole thing is shot. But what if it breaks when it's turned off? Can you theoretically just remove all of the air from it and be able to use it again?

I know it is possible to pull a vacuum on molten glass as I have made vacuum-sealed ampuoles before, the trick is doing it with this type of glass instead of the much easier to work with borosilicate.

It is in general hard to find CRT HV flyback transformers these days. I don’t know the situation for the IBM 5151. I would save the transformer / board if I were you.

Back