• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Digital Research S-100 Computer Listing

Chuckster_in_Jax

Veteran Member
Saw this listing last night. Was thinking about buying it, but I waited too long to make a decision and someone else snapped it up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Systems-Dual-Qume-DT-8-8-034-Floppy-Disk-Drives-Teletek-Boards-S-100-/123770444914?nma=true&si=q4Jqx4FA04mIC3XqOnN6wMETFTs%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The listing says it is only an 8" floppy drive unit, but it appears to be a complete S-100 system.

64K RAM Board:
http://www.s100computers.com/Hardware Folder/Teletek/64K DRAM/64K DRAM.htm

The other board with several connections on it is (possibly) an SBC.

Looks like someone got a rare computer for a great price.

I happen to know that the machine ended up in good hands ( not mine however ) and will be brought back to working order.

I happen to know that the machine ended up in good hands ( not mine however ) and will be brought back to working order.

Great!

Maybe the new owner will give some updates on what it took to get the unit in working condition, what software he could get to run on it, etc.

That computer appears to be very rare. One of the very early S-100 systems.

My recollection is that this system is not something from DRI, but rather from a local (Texas?) outfit. I recall seeing their ads in Byte with the name written like this: "Digital Research (Computers)" or something like it. Is my memory accurate?

My recollection is that this system is not something from DRI, but rather from a local (Texas?) outfit. I recall seeing their ads in Byte with the name written like this: "Digital Research (Computers)" or something like it. Is my memory accurate?

correct, they sold "Big Board" systems

if you look at the tags in the pictures, the machine show was fabricated by the University of California System in Davis

I've got an Integrand box that I bought back in the day. It's basically the S100 box full of slots and a big power supply. No disk drives--and the color scheme is blue and gray.

Just reporting that the system is back up and running. Didn't take a whole lot of effort, just the usual of going gentle on the power supply, cleaning (especially the floppy drives) and locating the software. Another FDC-I from Teletek is booting.

This box is just an Integrand chassis. I have one that had an Ithaca Intersystems board set in it, which is being slowly parted out. The particular badging on this one system may be rare, but OEM boxes built on that chassis are not. It's a typical late model OEM 8-bit S-100 system, definitely nothing early about it. I wonder how many no-name S-100 OEMs there were? (there *was* one literally called No Name Computers!)

The Integrand chassis I have is kind of m'eh in terms of quality. I recently stole some of the 8" drive wiring out of it only to find that the AC and DC power wires were poorly soldered into the Mate-n-Lok crimp terminations instead of being actually crimped. I'd always gotten the impression that Integrand made decent stuff, so maybe this was a fluke or someone "redid" it at some point.

Chuck, there was definitely a "Digital Research" that wasn't DRI that made S-100 stuff. I think this is a different one, none of their S-100 boards or literature had the logo that this chassis has. I'd heard their name was intentionally chosen to make people think they were related to DRI, to the point of DRI at least threatening legal action!

Back