• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Do you have audience while you work?

frozenfire75i wrote:

I don't mind ppl watching me while I work, I like to teach them some things... But If you get a kid or a person that won't shut up talking or asking ¿?'s then that will drive me nuts!

These people I mention are not your everyday crowd expecting you to stand up on stage and do some kind of Act. These are you're upper crust smucks which cry wolf when their not happy with something. Fortunately most of the work I can do I can put up with to a degree, though because these people have all the time in the world, they simply drive around in their Mercs, BMWs or Whatever and whinge and complain to our superiors. Never hear any complaints about the guy which does nothing there - and it's always the people who work which have to suffer. So to carry that to tolerate that over a few years, would go nuts!

I hate people seeing/watching what I'm doing (unless they're small ones),
...but animals... I used to live with a Macaw that used to "help" in that whatever I was doing, it tried to do too (sometimes after I'd left the room). I'd often find documents with random lines of characters scattered about them, and we used to argue about who got to use the mouse. DIY was impossible too, screws and rawlplugs were fair game for both the parrot (inside) and the crow (outside) to remove & hide, and the parrot learnt to use the phone too (Hello, ...hello?, ...hello!, ... hello?....)

they simply drive around in their Mercs, BMWs or Whatever and whinge and complain to our superiors.

So keeping on my curiosity streak this morning, care to share what it is you do for a living? I do system administration on servers but we don't have a helpdesk so I get that work too, outside of setting up/maintaining windows/linux servers and other applications we run here.

I have a love/hate relationship with birds. They can be a lot of fun, but such a pita to keep up after. And when one decides to turn mean...ever tasted parrot gumbo...?

--T

I do some part time work as a product demonstrator for Apple products (Macs, iPods, etc). I usually enjoy talking to people and explaining how the systems work but what really annoys me is when you are talking to a customer and someone else walks by and shouts "Macs suck" and then just walks off. Or even worse, stands there and starts spewing all kinds of bullsh*t (most of it wrong) about how much better their favorite brand of computer is.

barythrin wrote:

So keeping on my curiosity streak this morning, care to share what it is you do for a living?

That's what I do until someone cries Wolf and the job becomes Maintenance! :-x For some reason with work which falls along those lines, people are always watching you and if their not driving, walking around, they spy on you from their home!

I dislike people like that, because they simply have nothing better else to do and would rather be slackers themselves by keeping tabs on others.

I do system administration on servers but we don't have a helpdesk so I get that work too, outside of setting up/maintaining windows/linux servers and other applications we run here.

Those jobs simply don't have that aspect to them, which is strange cause it's a lot easier to play a game of Solitare behind a computer than working out in the field - and yet people choose to keep an eye on people doing hard physical work than people behind a computer! :-o However I guess I'm being unfair here cause working in an office you can have lots of Cameras pointed at you and you wouldn't even know it! I guess the big question is who watches the watchers?

Admitting their guilt by claiming they suck!

Admitting their guilt by claiming they suck!

BuggZ wrote:

I do some part time work as a product demonstrator for Apple products (Macs, iPods, etc). I usually enjoy talking to people and explaining how the systems work but what really annoys me is when you are talking to a customer and someone else walks by and shouts "Macs suck" and then just walks off. Or even worse, stands there and starts spewing all kinds of bullsh*t (most of it wrong) about how much better their favorite brand of computer is.

If some Mac walked by and said "they suck", I'd be LOL!! :-D

Round here we just call him 'The Lawn Guy'. He walks around once a month with a can of RoundUp and sprays everything in sight (including some p'ticularly luscious 'decorative' herbage).

--T

The Chief knows!

The Chief knows!

Terry Yager wrote:

Round here we just call him 'The Lawn Guy'. He walks around once a month with a can of RoundUp and sprays everything in sight (including some p'ticularly luscious 'decorative' herbage).

And that 'decorative' herbage believe it or not is usually the stuff running out of control. We also work on foreign grasses - anyone with knowledge about Grasses knows that Grasses come from Grasslands and it's always purpose is to produce grasslands - which puts Grasses as one of the most invasive plants going around, so to use foreign grasses instead of native grasses means you're generating more pest plant removal - hence more maintenance.

We also work on foreign grasses - anyone with knowledge about Grasses knows that Grasses come from Grasslands and it's always purpose is to produce grasslands - which puts Grasses as one of the most invasive plants going around, so to use foreign grasses instead of native grasses means you're generating more pest plant removal - hence more maintenance.

Around here we call that "job security" LOL.

--Jack

Since we're in the completely off-topic category anyway, what's the most common native grass there? Just curious since I know a few common grasses here in the US but am wondering if they're different in other countries or if we're all working with similar breeds. (Common here for lawns is St. Augustine, bermuda grass.. atleast in Texas where we have high heat and little rain those are most common).

Yzzerdd wrote:

Around here we call that "job security" LOL.

Well around here Jack, it's a long way from Job Security because sooner or later people will question the progression - at least that's what I try to work to. Without progression you might as well operate a Merry-Go-Round, people will ask why I should work there. Weeding -must- progress as well to guarantee less weeding will follow that weeding. In order for that to happen any area in question - but more importantly an area which has no natural seedbank needs to be planted. Bushland's are different so it's easier to remove the foreign plants and let the natural take over (whatever that maybe - it may not necessarily be bush, but a swamp or a coastal dune or even a grassland land - though even those areas consist of natural plants which tollerate those conditions - the term bush is generally considered to be a type of forest with lots of Trees and middle storey plants). Areas such as my workplace where the soil has been brought in (from what appears to be the local tip - or landfill), everything needs to progress from what I do, which means it needs a strategy of removing the foreign plants and ensuring foreign plants are kept to a minimum.

The plants I was thinking of are the kind that 'decorate' your mind from the inside...(not mine, of course, but the neighbors').

I know what ya mean about invasive species tho, my Morning Glorys are encroaching on everything. I love 'em, but I'm afraid I'll have to end up destroying all or most of 'em, to keep them from volunteering in areas where they are not wanted.

Aren't invasive species kinda hard to define when it comes to people's lawns tho? Most of the grasses that folks grow on purpose are imported from other areas, so a true naturalist would consider them the invasive species encroaching on the native weedstock. Hmmn...

--T

barythrin wrote:

Since we're in the completely off-topic category anyway, what's the most common native grass there? Just curious since I know a few common grasses here in the US but am wondering if they're different in other countries or if we're all working with similar breeds. (Common here for lawns is St. Augustine, bermuda grass.. atleast in Texas where we have high heat and little rain those are most common).

Yes we usually call Bermuda grass, Couch grass. It seems to be a grass which has been developed and distributed worldwide - it doesn't seem to be a grass which naturally occurs anywhere. For us it's become a pest plant, mostly in areas which have been disturbed - the most annoying thing about that grass is removing it by hand, unless it's quite small and it's in sandy soil (which it seems to like) it's very difficult to remove.

In the natural world different parts of Australia have different varieties of grasses - which vary from the region their found in. Of the types of grasses found here there are different species of plants found in the same genus - for instance Wallaby Grass there's several species within that group found locally (some Wallaby Grasses also go under different Genuses because their quite separate from the regular ones though look the same, only to be different because their found in Swampy Areas) - across Australia there maybe Hundreds though. Spear grasses also have several species found locally, as well as Tussock grasses. And then there's this Weeping grass which some people believe there are variations of that grass, though it's a grass found on it's own around here to belong to one Genus and species. In the Mountain country there's a Forest Wire Grass, though none found in the lower areas which suggest it needs a very nutrient Rich soil and moisture to keep it going. Not a lot of Australia has Nutrient Rich soil and most natural plants don't necessarily need that here, or if they do they get it from other plants which release Nutrients into the soil.

Along with the Natural grasses around here are the foreign grasses as well - which come from all over the place. Sweet Vernal Grass for instance comes from Europe and temperate Asia, Browntop Bent also comes from Europe, Wild Oats is thought to have come from the Mediterranean region, Blowfly grass or Quaking grass and it's smaller cousin the shivery grass or lesser quaking grass also from the Mediterranean as well as the Great Brome or Ripgut brome. Prairie grass comes from America, Pampas grass comes from South America, Barnyard grass comes from Europe and India! African lovegrass comes from South Africa! Yorkshire fog grass from Europe, Barley grass from Europe and Asia, Ryegrasses are from the Mediterranean region & Serrated tussock from South America as is Paspalum, Kikuyu is another one from Africa. Phalaris, paradoxa & lesser canary grasses all come from the Mediterranean, Annual beardgrass from Europe and Asia, Slender Pigeon grass comes from Central and South America, and then there's Winter grass which comes from Europe, and Veldtgrasses which come from South Africa - those seem to be the ones I work on most, though I've seen all of these grasses around in my travels. Fortunately the ones I haven't seen such as Mexican Feather grass are ones which have been found by people locally (being sold in shops as something else), though is suppose to be prohibited from sale in our state.

The biggest issue though is the names of grasses - Common names generally have different names in other places - so half those names are different depending on what name catches on - which is one reason why we have Latin names for plants which consist of the Genus and species. I recognise Bermuda grass cause that's one of the names my book suggests for what I call Couch - which Latin name is Cynodon dactylon.

Because I mentioned a large variety of plants which come from places like the Mediterranean, Africa, America, Europe, it may well be those grasses are found in different parts of those regions which depends on the conditions for which they grow in. However just about any sort of grass can naturalise in a totally foreign area and become dominant which is when these grasses become pest plants.

Terry Yager wrote:

My point exactly...how do you do it?

In our area I'm fortunate to have natural bushlands which consists of the natural vegetation. Though it also helps to understand the area you live in by understanding Geology and in our case what the land used to be - and having Remnant Vegetation which would go with that area - though in our case we've also got fragments of Swampland which remain - we live very close to this swampland, though are very close to a Heathland where the soil is very sandy and has some old Dunes which were formed from the old Inland Sea which turned into that Swampland.

There's also information in the form of local vegetation lists and maps which try to describe how the area used to be on the Internet and what it looks like now as well as local Nurseries which produce local plant stock from seed collected. So in our area while we have small areas which remain unaffected a lot research and work has been done to provide information about the local vegetation.

In terms of foreign plants which are a pest in our area, the thing to look at is how dominant they invade an area, biodiversity & monoculture can be the tell tell signs of an invasion of a plant (not necessarily a grass), though in our area biodiversity is basically what I see in the natural world - some natural vegetation communities may actually have only a few key species and have something dominant which grows over a large area of it, though if another plant can co-exist with that then it will. Pine trees here for example simply have nothing around them because of Pine Needles, Root structure, though I suspect that in their natural habitat they have other plants which will co-exist with them.

I'm not too sure about other plants coexisting with pine trees - they seem to kill off everything else. I don't know if pine trees are native to England (I suspect not) but where they grow there is practically no undergrowth at all. Pine is grown commercially here in some areas.

BG

BG101 wrote:

I'm not too sure about other plants coexisting with pine trees - they seem to kill off everything else. I don't know if pine trees are native to England (I suspect not) but where they grow there is practically no undergrowth at all. Pine is grown commercially here in some areas.

There's two Pines I'm familiar with which are invasive once they reach the age of 7 years - why 7 years I'm unsure, though that's when it first starts flowering - at least that's what happens with the Radiata pine (or Monterey pine) which comes from the United States - the other one being a Maritime Pine (or Cluster Pine) which is found in Soutern Europe and Northern Africa. However different species of pines around found around the US, other areas which have them are the Mediterranean and even one in South America. Australia has a few species of Pines, though nothing found locally unless people put She-oaks in that category. North of Melbourne and Victoria (up state) there's White Cypress which some put down as a kind of pine - though it's in the Conifer family.

Certainally in the UK to have Pine plantations would produce the same kinds of results like Australia where it generates a monoculture of keeping other plants out. You'd probably have to go to the states and find what grows naturally with Pines - certainally with the Radiata Pine. I believe it's this Pine which is associated with the Death Cap Mushroom as well! Eating it will result in Death 24hrs later.

But, what would happen if an endangered native species of crabgrass were found growing in the middle of someone's $10,00.00 imported-sod Kentucky Blue Grass lawn?

--T

Back