• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does anyone have Sysinternals NTFS for Windows 98 PRO in their archives?

3lectr1c

Veteran Member
Wininternals made a package in the early 2000s to add NTFS support to Windows 98. Through the wayback machine, I was able to drag out the read only version, but the read/write pro version remains lost. Any chance someone here has it? It's about as abandonware as it gets at this point.

It's about as abandonware as it gets at this point.
I don't think Microsoft would agree on this.

Also, write support was only in the Pro version for a very short time. It was not stable and therefore they removed it again. Unless you are eager to damage your NTFS partition, I would stay with the read-only version.

Last edited:
Sysinternals still exists, but they don't offer any version of NTFS98 for download anymore, free version included. Good to hear that the write version was unstable, I won’t use it on anything important if I do find it.

Had what I believe to be 1.0.1 full sent to me by njroadfan, thanks!

For anyone else, I think it was also included in a couple of versions of the "Unofficial Service Pack" for Win98SE (as an option). I tried it once and it was a disaster.

Kinda weird that it would be problematic. It literally loads ntfs.sys and supporting files from Windows NT/2000/XP to access NTFS partitions under Windows 9x.

I used Winternals NTFSDOS quite a bit back in the day and it did something similar under DOS(!). It was quite stable for what it was.

I've used the DOS version, but the Windows 98SE version was far from stable. Maybe I just hooked up with a testing version, but I got rid of it pretty quickly.
Besides, Linux does the job quite well.

Same story here: I have it somewhere, tried it, I'm not sure if it was read-only, but it was a disaster.

But the main reason I react: why do you need it? I solved this problem long ago by installing W98SE and XP on the same machine. I mainly use W98SE to have direct access to my I/O using Turbo Pascal and other tools. XP for NTFS, USB access and network access to my W7 machines.

Main reason is when moving files over a flash drive, it can be easier to just get NTFS working (even just somewhat) on Windows 98 than to reformat the drive as FAT32. I can't always keep drives FAT32 formatted since some files are too large for the filesystem, and exFAT won't work on older systems either, leaving NTFS as the suitable option. No limits, read-only on Mac, and works on older windows as well.

Main reason is when moving files over a flash drive, it can be easier to just get NTFS working (even just somewhat) on Windows 98 than to reformat the drive as FAT32. I can't always keep drives FAT32 formatted since some files are too large for the filesystem, and exFAT won't work on older systems either, leaving NTFS as the suitable option. No limits, read-only on Mac, and works on older windows as well.

Why do you need a FS on Windows 98 that can store 4GB+ files, when Windows 98 and FAT32 can't work with such large files? If you need to move large files on a flash drive, just buy a second flash drive and format it as NTFS or ExFAT.

I know, I’ve only got one large capacity flash drive right now, I’ve just been too lazy to spend the $10 for another one. Gotta do that. So for the time being I have to share. I usually just reformatted it when the need arose but I thought it would be neat to try this out instead.

Walmart has literal bins of flash drives for $8-10 near the electronics section. Just grab a fist full of them the next time you go on a food run.

Just make sure they're not PNY or ONN brand (ONN is Walmart's house brand, but PNY makes them), unless you want to subject yourself to pure misery. Their read and write speeds are abysmally slow, like on the order of 2-4 mb/s or worse if you copy tons of small files. I only use those garbage things as throwaway units if I have to give files out and I don't care to get them back.

Back