• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does anyone know the right slot placement for expansion cards on XT machine.

Robin4

Veteran Member
Like the title already says: Is there any source that can tell me in which order expansion cards are placed in a XT machine.

Only knows from the PSU:

1. M. IO card
2. Floppy disk controller
3. Harddisk controller..

And then i dont know what goes next.

I know that the order in which slot is not always important.. (beside that on slot 8)

But i want to install the cards, like they came from factory.

Next card may ethernet card? memcard, then graphics then soundcard?

Pretty sure the graphics card was factory installed in slot 1.

AFAIK they never shipped from the factory with ethernet or sound so those just go wherever

With the exception of slot #8 of the original IBM PC/XT 5160 it doesn't matter where you place the cards: these seven are all the same. AFAIK in clones #8 is also the same as the other seven. When doing some quick testing of the board, I put the video card in #7 or #6 (so I have access to the EPROM) and things work fine.

I would add that if you're inserting a "full length" card, put it in a slot where you already have the plastic guide installed in the front of the case.

Those guides can be tricky to move from slot to slot given the brittleness of 40 year old plastic.

I would add that if you're inserting a "full length" card, put it in a slot where you already have the plastic guide installed in the front of the case.

Those guides can be tricky to move from slot to slot given the brittleness of 40 year old plastic.

I have them all installed in the case.. Normally there are 5 of those.

Back