• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dragon’s Lair Series Released For The IIgs

LiqMatrix

Veteran Member
I thought it was worth noting that the Dragon’s Lair series of games have been released for the IIgs according to Indie Retro News. I remember being so impressed by these arcade games back in the early 80s. Nice that they have finally made their way to the IIgs after all these years.

Always remember playing this in the arcade and being really frustrated by it, 10 seconds of video, a 1/2 second chance to move the joystick or press a button, then another 10-15 seconds of video of you either progressing or dying.

Visually stunning (for the time).

The Electronics Boutique stores in the mall used to leave Dragon's Lair and Space Ace demos running for hours on end on the display Amiga 500s because the "full screen animation" looked so impressive at the time. Shame the games were, like, the least fun things ever, to actually play. It's kind of mind-blowing to think of actually sitting down to play it more than once, particularly having to swap floppy disks about once a minute if you actually manage to survive that long.

Always remember playing this in the arcade and being really frustrated by it, 10 seconds of video, a 1/2 second chance to move the joystick or press a button, then another 10-15 seconds of video of you either progressing or dying.

I could never get into the genre. I ended up getting FAR more fascinated on the first-gen videodisc payers they used. Discovision turned out to be a rabbit hole.

When the first Dragon's Lair came out in the arcades back in 1983 it blew a lot of minds. It was a quarter eater for sure. The audio/visual experience with the limited interaction was ground breaking. I was pre-teen in those days and remember small lines to play it. I completely sucked at it and tried it a few times and never touched it again. It's still a great eye catching tech demo of sorts to run during a vintage hardware/software expo and the like.

I certainly won't argue that it's not an impressive tech demo, and I'm sure some people like what it is, but, man, trying to play it makes me break out in hives. It's a brutally unforgiving exercise in rote memorization with a minor "rhythm" (timing) element, pretty much exactly the sort of things I hate when they crop up as a mini-game segments in a modern platformer or whatever. Ugh.

There was a few games for the Sega CD that were like that. Video plays, press button on D-pad when it flashes or you game over.
At least you had a score so you and a friend could try and beat eachother.

Am I missing something? Where can I download it?

Speaking of Sega CD, the system intrigued me but of all the few games I got to see I think Jurassic Park impressed me the most.

Back