• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

drivers for asante mc3nb card + irc/web browser suggestion

linemanduke

Veteran Member
now that i have my mac IIci running good i need the drivers for the net card i found some sets but i cant make them work they are.image files but disk copy doesnt work for them. also is there any irc or browsers ill be able to run after i get it to run?

well i need a copy if stuffit for this mac cause i have to remove the .hqx extension somehow. ill have to keep looking i guess (keep finding broken links).

as to which version im usisg. i'm using 4.2
and thanks for the links

well got the drivers on now im installing open transport 1.1.1.

soon i might can get into the power supply and fix the power problem. it at first doesn't want to turn on, then once you get it going it wont turn off. just flashes the screen a few times and turns back on lol.

then i have to get a new monitor as this ones got a purity problem degaussing wont fix and it doesn't get wide enough. :p

then i need to find a bigger hard drive even though i upgraded from a 40 meg quantum prodrive to a 210 meg quantum prodrive lps. because the new drive gets so hot im afraid it might melt the case.

then i have to get the security cable mount unglued from the back so it isn't in my way anymore.

then i have to buy a new mac because ive gotten so fed up with this one i chuck i off a cliff lol.

IIci are nice machines, but act goofy once the capacitors start to go. It is easy enough to recap them.

i found a browser icab version 2.99 its a little slow but it does everything.also found an irc client i like.

in a weird twist of fate. all the pcs in the house had a virus attack at 12 am last night and we have been forced to use this mac as our main computer for everything from my moms ebay to even my facebook. all stuff i would never be able to do on a 25mhz 386 or 486 ;)

but although this is working fine ill be counting the nano seconds till i get my pcs back. lol

Damn ! You're movng too fast with a platform you aren't acquainted with. Slow down and learn about the OS. It's amazing you got so far so quickly with OS 7.5 or whatever you're using. hqx is a normal file on the Mac, why would you want to mess with it ? The IIci is my favorite of the 2nd bank of Macs. It isn't just another version of a MS$ machine. It's a Motorola 68040 CPU more capable than similarly-priced Intel machines of the time. And the file structure of Apple is completely different than MSDOS.

Don't expect it to rival Intel Pentium Pros any more than you would XTs, ATs, or PS/2s. But it is an extremely capable machine. Show it some respect. And this is from a person who is not a big fan of Macs. You sound too clever by half. I agree with Terry.

Lawrence

Last edited:
sorry im a fast mover lol. i have used 7.5 before actually just not with internet. and i know that .hqx files are a common type but the software i was using on the pc to place them on diskettes was giving me trouble with "converting" them. so it would screw up the file and suffit expander on the mac was getting confused.

also even though i sounded like i was talking about speed i ment time wise its hard to think that a computer from 1989 could do so much so well lol. stuff my modern computer has some trouble doing.

There used to be an active Mac68 forum that helped me a lot when I was just getting into the early Macs. If it's still alive, they kept archives and many questions which I was trying to handle had been answered there. I wrestled a bit with Transport but worked thru it. I found I liked Netscape 3 better than Explorer. It should be available on the Old Mac site.The main thing to keep in mind is that the Mac OS IS NOT MSDos, and with the forked file system it can be a nightmare. Get a good DOS to MacOS file transfer program and many of those problems will disappear as you get into the multitude of Mac Archives and start downloading things like Stuffit. Any thing later than OS 8.1 can also cause problems or not work at all on 68k Macs. I have a multitude of how-to books on early Macs, like "the Mac Bible", which I'm going to be putting up on the For Sale forum soon. Just have a lot of pressing other "to-do" things.

Lawrence

Back