• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Early IBM Manuals?

canuck46

Experienced Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
86
Location
Chilliwack,BC,Canada eh
I am looking for a set of the original manuals that would have came with a IBM 5150, Apparantly there were 2 that came with it and a optional DOS manual....I thought I had them but the ones I have were printed in 1984 and the Dos manual I have is for ver. 2.1 .I have a lot of older computer "Stuff" so a trade is desirable if possible. want a Sharpe 6200 Laptop ??? 286,20 Mg HDD,Mono Display-complete with manual but NOT RUNNING. Pics available.
Dave
 

mbbrutman

Associate Cat Herder
Staff member
Joined
May 3, 2003
Messages
6,248
The 5150 would have only come with a Guide To Operations manual. DOS was an option and DOS was constantly upgraded, so there really is no single version that was shipped with the 5150. You could have anything from 1.0 to 4, depending on the year. Remember, the 5150 was sold from 1981 to 1986 or 1987.

DOS 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 would be very uncommon. DOS 2.1 was a very popular release. The DOS 3.x releases were popular as well. DOS 4 sucked rocks. DOS 5 and DOS 6.x will run on a 5150, but they were introduced after the 5150 was discontinued.

Other manuals you'd be interested in:

- the Technical Reference manual for the machine.
- BASIC .. not sure if it came with the DOS set or the machine. BASIC was built into the machine, but new versions came with each new DOS version.
- the DOS Technical Reference - good for old school programming.
 

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
3,592
Location
San Jose, CA
The 5150 shipped with the GTO and BASIC manuals.

DOS 1.0 is/was fairly uncommon (I've got two copies, one bought new in 1981!) but 1.1 was around for a while so there are plenty of copies out there.

2.0 was somewhat common but 2.1 supplanted it quickly and lasted forever.
 

mbbrutman

Associate Cat Herder
Staff member
Joined
May 3, 2003
Messages
6,248
So what happened when the DOS version came with an updated version of BASIC? I know that BASIC and BASICA from DOS in 2.x and 3.x are different than what is built into the BIOS, yet the one book documents all three.

My recollections from the PCjr are that DOS had just one manual, and that BASIC came with the cartridge. To use the built-in BASIC you had the 'Hands on BASIC book' that came with the PCjr, but I don't know what people with the 5150 or other machines would have had.

Which also begs the questions .. how did the later BASIC manuals get distributed?
 

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
3,592
Location
San Jose, CA
mbbrutman said:
So what happened when the DOS version came with an updated version of BASIC? I know that BASIC and BASICA from DOS in 2.x and 3.x are different than what is built into the BIOS, yet the one book documents all three.

I'm not sure. The BASIC manual that came with my original 5150 in 1981 was for the 1.0 version of BASIC. I remember getting update pages for both DOS and BASIC over time, but can't recall from where.

mbbrutman said:
My recollections from the PCjr are that DOS had just one manual, and that BASIC came with the cartridge. To use the built-in BASIC you had the 'Hands on BASIC book' that came with the PCjr, but I don't know what people with the 5150 or other machines would have had.

Sounds about right. The PC and XT machines would have come with the BASIC manual that matched their ROM version.

DOS only updated some of BASIC, not all of it, so the docs would have been tricky.

mbbrutman said:
Which also begs the questions .. how did the later BASIC manuals get distributed?

No idea here. I lost track after the AT. ;)
 

canuck46

Experienced Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
86
Location
Chilliwack,BC,Canada eh
you mean I had them all along??

you mean I had them all along??

Hm...Apparantly...Ive got the right ones....just didnt know it..!!! I have 2 "guide to Operations"...1 dated 1982,the other 1984. I have a DOS Manual with 2.1 Discs...didnt know they were back there!!! Also have a BASIC guide,apparantly Ver. 3.0. All in good shape. Found a whole bunch of other book/manuals as well...for WP and lotus etc.....I get a list together.
Thanx for all the help.

Dave:)
 

dicksch

Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2006
Messages
14
Location
Georgetown Ontario Canada
IBM PC Manuals

IBM PC Manuals

I have the following PC manuals some still in their original slipcases:
Guide to Operations PC AT
PC Convertible Tech Reference Manual Vol 1 & 2
PC Guide to Operations (6025000)
Async Communications Support
PS/2 Model 80 Tech Reference Manual
PC Hardware Maint & Service Manual
IBM PC APL Manual
PC Tech Ref Manual This one has the schematics and BIOS listing of the original IBM PC.
 

Micom 2000

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2004
Messages
1,284
Location
Manitoba North of 50 degrees Latitude
Have you considered trading or selling the PS/2 Model 80 Tech Reference Manual ? I have a bunch of stuff I could offer.

Lawrence

dicksch said:
I have the following PC manuals some still in their original slipcases:
Guide to Operations PC AT
PC Convertible Tech Reference Manual Vol 1 & 2
PC Guide to Operations (6025000)
Async Communications Support
PS/2 Model 80 Tech Reference Manual
PC Hardware Maint & Service Manual
IBM PC APL Manual
PC Tech Ref Manual This one has the schematics and BIOS listing of the original IBM PC.
 

dicksch

Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2006
Messages
14
Location
Georgetown Ontario Canada
Manuals & clock chip

Manuals & clock chip

The above manuals that I listed I still have...
Anyone interested send an email to V E 3 H D J @ R A C . CA... Just remove the spaces
I'm looking for a RP05C01 clock chip
 

Raven

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2009
Messages
2,752
Location
DE, USA..
I have an entire box mostly consisting of IBM manuals from the 90s, 91-99 or so, so if anyone is looking for anything specific ask, and I'll look it up.
 
Top