• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Epson HX-20 loading software over serial...

spiderx

So, I made a serial null modem cable for my HX-20, as I wanted to test if the serial port was working. It seems like it is.
Here's how I did that...

I basically got a DIN-8 (full size) cable (I think they sell these for midi) and cut it in the middle, then stripped the wires back and used one of those DB9 serial with the screw for the pins, so no need for soldering anything.

On the modern computer, I set it for 8-N-2 and 4800, and installed coolterm. Even though I made a full duplex cable, it doesn't seem to work with CTS / DTR / XON, I just leave checked the 'software supported flow control' and in the 'transmit' I set the 'transmit character delay' to 5ms, and turn on 'local echo' in the 'terminal options' and that's it. I can then paste or upload the file, and when the local echo gets to the last line of the program, I know its done.

On the HX-20, I just have to LOAD "COM0:" and then on the modern computer, paste the file, and wait for it to finish. Then, I hit BREAK, and I can list/run the program.

It's kind of slow, about 30 seconds to send 2600+ characters, are my settings wrong? Does the HX-20 support RTS/DTR? Is the delay too long?

Either way, I hope this helps someone else. At least it does transfer data across!

Just an update, I can set the 'transmit character delay' to 1ms, and enable DTR, and on the HX-20 use LOAD "COM0:68N1F" and that will transfer a bit faster, though it seems slower than 4800 imho, it works.

If you make a cable for the Serial port (as opposed to the RS232 port) you can use the MH20 disk drive emulator, see here for more details.

Yes, the serial port can go at 38400, but I'm interested in using the RS232C port because I have some older devices that I'd like to try connecting it to (like a Tandy Model 100).

Back