• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Epson PX8 apparently dead

inakito

Experienced Member
I own this PX8 since many years ago. I was going to put it for sale but on testing it i realized it was apparently dead.
The unit stays dead even after some hours of battery charging. No leds blinking, no signs on the lcd,...
I am using the original Epson PSU, 6V/600mA, center negative. I have checked the psu still works.
Any recommended test i could perform?

Batteries inside may be totally dead, not taking or holding ANY charge.

If so, may be leaking badly, and causing serious damage inside?

Can be replaced, if size OK. I've got an HX-20 still working (sort-of) using external rechargeable batteries and Epson PSU.

Geoff

About 20'ish years ago, I was asked for advice about a 'will not power on' notebook computer that had not been powered on in many years. The owner had tried charging for a few hours, but that didn't work. I suggested that the batteries may be in a bad state, and to try charging overnight. That was the answer, and the only feedback that I got. For all I know, the owner just wanted to see what data was on the notebook, then throw the notebook out.

Could be bad capacitors too - I've got one with a few leaking capacitors that need replacing. Hoping that will bring it back to life.

OK, good point.

The HX needs 16 hrs charge time. Until there's enough charge to achieve anything, then nothing will happen.

What does OP mean by 'some hours' of charge? I'd suggest at least 16, with the machine totally OFF. If the machine is ON in ANY way, then prob using charge as fast as it's gaining any!!

Geoff

There is also a button on the underside that is a reset button under the panel door that opens. Sometimes it needs to be pressed to reset the CPU that controls the power I think.

Back