• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

First YouTube video experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that's what Dwight was saying; I think he was saying that it can be easier to relax and speak more naturally if there is a real person behind the camera that you're talking to, rather than just the cold hard stare of the lens in an empty room.

The Fair Use clause of US Copyright allows reproducing material for educational or commentary purposes. You're fine... unless you obtained the internal documents illegally, which is a different matter: You could be sued for theft of intellectual property.

The video was posted on the internet - I don't know how *they* got it - probably found it somewhere, or an old franchisee digitized it. I'm not sure who would own the rights to it now.

Well, IANAL... but I've talked with many, and all I can say is that people can sue for defamation of character and other dumb stuff at any time. However, you could interview him, get him to sign a release to use the interview information in your historical retrospective, and that will likely prevent any legal action.

[/QUOTE]

I'm doubtful he could be found - he'd be 88 now assuming he's still around, and he was known to be very private. He spent what, 20 years 'hiding' from Northern Marianas Islands' tax authorities (allegedly)?

I thought that whole disappearance thing was an interesting story to relate, but I intended to present both sides of it (the government's and then his, as they themselves said it to the media) - not take a position on who's right or wrong, just be like 'wow, this is such a crazy and interesting story'.

Any time I do any kind of documentary, written, video or otherwise, I always stick to sources and avoid offering opinion. I've always been of the opinion it's hard to win a defamation suit if you're just relating what was already said by official sources.

Considering just how dead ComputerLand is as an entity probably the biggest risk you'd run into posting segments of internal franchise propaganda videos is getting a copyright match from any background music they might have stuck onto them. (Obviously I don't know if these videos are of a sufficiently high production class to have music on them at all.) "Fair Use" should indeed be a thing that YouTube respects but apparently the copyright trolls are *very* aggressive when it comes to abusing the audio matching robots.

Regarding the tax thing, if you take a neutral tone and just say "it was reported at the time that so-and-so did this-and-that and bad things happened" without trying to inject your own personal hot take on it (and making sure to cite your sources) I seriously doubt there's any case to be made.

The particular video features Bill Millard's daughter Barbara (in full 80s regalia) talking to the camera about the challenges Computerland was facing in 1985, particularly tamping down growth expectations. One bit I found kind of amusing was her contention that Computerland's difficulties that year (including being in the process of losing a half billion dollar lawsuit) was that the downturn in fortunes was actually a positive in that they couldn't ignore problems in the franchise that they had been ignoring when things were booming. Corporate spin if there ever was any.

I believe I've found Barbara (now Barbara Logan). So that make me nervous about that particular video or remarking on that passage, which I thought kind of darkly amusing.

The 'music' though is rando 80s synth. Not a recognizable tune.

Last edited:
The 'music' though is rando 80s synth. Not a recognizable tune.

Oh, don't worry, YouTube's content ID system will identify it. As long as you don't care about making money (yet) from the videos, you can leave it in. YT also has a facility for removing only the music from a passage if it's simple enough; has about a 50/50 shot of working.

So, I released this last night:

In the hopes that it might give you some comparisons and workflow tips, I'll list how I made it:

video:
Talking head: Panasonic GX85 + 12mm-60mm @ f/3.6
Overhead: Panasonic G7 + 14-140mm @ f/5.6 for the overhead shots (because I have it mounted to the ceiling).
Two 60W LED bulbs inside two large softboxes (you can see them reflected in my glasses and behind me) in addition to my basement's overhead lighting.
The LED bulbs color temp are 5500k and my overhead lights are 5000k to match as closely as possible.
Both cameras shot 4k video, and edited with proxies as previously mentioned.
A color chart (Datacolor SpyderCHECKR 24, although I'll be using the X-Rite ColorChecker Passport Video from now on) was used in the talking head shot to get a reference, which was then later used to get the color correct in post.

audio:
Talking head: Cheap lav mic hidden under my sweatshirt (I should have equalized it in post though, it sounds muddy)
Narration: AT2020 mic connected to a Focusrite 2/2 interface (I'm not sure if I recommend the focusrite -- it sounds good but the drivers are sometimes buggy)

software:
Mostly Adobe Creative Cloud tools: Premiere pro for video editing and export; Adobe Audition for mixing; Photoshop for the video thumbnail; After Effects for the title animation.
Izotope RX for noise reduction.
MBR Color Corrector 3 to help with color correction (requires the use of a color chart).

Techniques and random thoughts:

• Put a color chart in your scene to ensure you have a reference for later. If you forgot to white-balance your camera, the neutral chips on the chart can make that automatic later in post. If the chart has an 18% gray chip, that should equal about 40 IRE (in other words, 40 on a scale of 1-100) brightness. Also, buy your chart new, and spend at least $50.
  • If you have a camera that isn't great at autofocus, use manual focus. Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras aren't great at continuous autofocus, but they have a phone app that lets you remote control the camera, including focus. I just tap on my face in the apps, it focuses, and then leaves it there, and it never gets out of focus again unless I move too close or too far away.
  • I shot everything in 4k because it looks great, but also because it gives you some flexibility in post. You can "zoom" in a little bit, fix the framing, correct a few degrees angle rotation (ie. uneven tripod), etc. You can digitally zoom in up to 200% and it will still look perfect when people view it on 1080p screens or cell phones.
  • When recording audio, ensure you record some "room tone" (ie. about 10 seconds of nothing) so that you have a noise floor reference to use later in post.
  • Cell phones today are amazing, but at some point you're going to wish you could get some more light onto the sensor, or shoot something really close, or shoot something far away, or shoot something that has a nice blurry background to complement the sharp foreground. That's when you might start looking into dedicated cameras that are good at video, because they have interchangable lenses.

These are suggestions, not mandates. I try to get the very best video quality I can, so I do all of the above. This year I hope to produce at least one video a month, which will then justify getting an even better camera and better lenses.

Hope that helps; if not, feel free to ask questions.

That was cool as hell! Well done Trixter!

I keep coming across projects like that and thinking jee I'd like to do that (not for youtube.. just myself).. but never get the the time.

I wonder if I could put this Micro Mint Z8 on a necklace.. :)

I completed video #2 today. Few little glitches but generally better and more consistent than the OSI video. This one started out as a quickie to show off the BC88 computer, but then I decided to provide some backstory.. and it turned out Computerland had a ton of that. Like.. literally a ton. I just covered the basics and didn't get into Millard's fascination with est or the Orwellian Office of the Chairman he set up. Didn't want to get sued, and I think some of Once Upon a Time in Computerland, where some of the story comes from, is a bit conjecture-y.

https://youtu.be/EioTBxU3Ek8

Still struggling with equalizing audio. I'm not a born narrator, suffer from acid reflux so my throat can be tricky and I sometimes fall off. I was trying to figure out the normalize audio function in Premiere. Finally, I deployed what I'd learned about green screening -- that was probably the most fun of the whole thing. I need to get a non-cheap greenscreen.. the one I have is made of some kinda paper like stuff and creases easily.

One thing I would really love to find is a manual. I think the reason I can't go into CGA mode is there are jumpers on the machine itself that need to be set.

I finally set aside time to check this out. Great information, good camera work (although you may want to get a slider if you'll be doing more horizontal pans; you can't do that handheld). However... I had to stop watching after 3 minutes because it was exhausting to try to hear your narration over the music. This might be worth trying to fix the audio and re-upload. I really wanted to watch the entire thing but had too much trouble hearing you.

If you're using Premiere Pro, watch some tutorials regarding the Essential Audio panel. You can "tag" voice clips and music clips as voice and music, then normalize them for appropriate levels for voice and music, and then -- this is key -- automatically duck the music by 6dB whenever the narration is happening. That alone should fix your audio issues, and it's really easy to use. If you're still having trouble with this, send me a PM and maybe I can share my screen to illustrate the process.

An important thing to remember when talking over music is that while you may not have difficulty understanding yourself over the music, that's because you remember everything what you said, and probably scripted it even before that, while your audience is hearing it for the very first time. Therefore they need an increased margin of intelligibility and reduced distraction.

In fact, it's wise to consider using music only sparingly for transitional emphasis, not constantly during the entire presentation. And I don't like hearing it all when a computer is turned on and running -- the noises it makes are more interesting to me than any music!

Thanks guys. I really appreciate you taking the time to offer suggestions.

Yeah I've been meaning to fix this. I think I've got it sorted now... just re-encoding and will upload a test and see what you guys think, if you're inclined to give it another try.

Because I didn't have a great mic for much of the first video, I relied on dynamics a lot, and I think that had the effect of levelling out the audio. I didn't use it this time (but have now done that and normalizing peaks, as well as dialing the background music WAY back) and hopefully that'll do it.

Sucks that I have to give up the view count, comments and likes, but what can ya do. :)

In my third video I'm just showing off all the unbuilt kits I have - keeping the background music to just add a touch of ambiance (nothing will be operating so no sounds to hear other than my voice). I'm letting my Note 10's microphone and Premiere's dynamics/bass adjustments do the work there and am reasonably happy with the result. We'll see how that comes out.

Last edited:
Darn it. Almost.

Those fiddles are persistent. I adjusted the gain by -22db but for some reason on youtube they creep back up.

And then despite equalizing the audio across the board it took the narration volume down again in one spot.

Alright.. more fixes.

Did you look into the Essential Audio panel like I suggested? You don't have to fiddle with anything when you use it. Highlight all dialog, tag as dialog, go to Loudness and auto-adjust all for an average RMS for dialog. Then do the same for all music clips (tag as music, auto-adjust for average RMS for music), then use the Ducking for the music. It usually works great out of the box.

Did you look into the Essential Audio panel like I suggested? You don't have to fiddle with anything when you use it. Highlight all dialog, tag as dialog, go to Loudness and auto-adjust all for an average RMS for dialog. Then do the same for all music clips (tag as music, auto-adjust for average RMS for music), then use the Ducking for the music. It usually works great out of the box.

Yeah I was messing around with that. Unfortunately, still being green, I had my narration on more than 1 track.. kind of all over the place as I cut and pasted segments. But now that I know where the ducking feature is I will definitely make use of that. I had not really experimented with the audio settings.. just the dialog.

Okay. I think I'm happier with this. Still waiting on the HD processing to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZMZo8JP3ss

I got the literal fiddling down to a less annoying volume, got the narration evened out. If anyone has any further comments/suggestions - I'd very much appreciate them, although probably unless something is massively wrong, they'll be applied on another video.

Well, judging by response so far, it looks like my sound fix was a success. Lots of positive feedback.

I've a couple more questions for those more experienced than me:

1) Narration - I'm thinking of the style 8bitguy does his videos in, where he's showing something and then narrating as he does it. Is there a 'right' way to do this - ie. one that doesn't condemn you to hours and hours of editing to get what you're talking about and the video itself lined up? David mentioned in a previous video that a single video tends to take anywhere from 30-60 hours of work (I think that's what he said), I'm wondering if that's just the deal with voiceover/narration. I know in a lot of videos people just talk 'live' to the mic as they're working - I'm not so good with this - I tend to get things mixed up, and use a lot of 'aahhhs' as I'm thinking. I prefer narration because it is scripted and cleaner.

2) Getting the word out - I'm leery of this because I don't want to be seen as a spammer or self-promoter. I'm not doing these videos to make money, just to have fun and show off parts of my collection I think will be of interest to others. I'm wondering where apart from interest groups like reddit you can post for people to see without being seen as a spammer/etc? Relying on the algorithm is pretty useless for a tiny channel like mine.

Well, judging by response so far, it looks like my sound fix was a success. Lots of positive feedback.

Add mine to the pile. Thanks to the reasonable levels, I watched it all the way through and was entertained and informed. You're really on your way and I look forward to what else you can produce. And some of the little easter eggs were cute (Carmen Sandiego and Rocket Ranger for "maps", the "pictures" of you on the "wall" behind you, etc.). The humor segments were about 4x longer than they needed to be, but that's my only complaint (they were funny, but they went on way too long). And I especially appreciate you crediting your picture sources.

1) Narration - I'm thinking of the style 8bitguy does his videos in, where he's showing something and then narrating as he does it. Is there a 'right' way to do this - ie. one that doesn't condemn you to hours and hours of editing to get what you're talking about and the video itself lined up? David mentioned in a previous video that a single video tends to take anywhere from 30-60 hours of work (I think that's what he said), I'm wondering if that's just the deal with voiceover/narration. I know in a lot of videos people just talk 'live' to the mic as they're working - I'm not so good with this - I tend to get things mixed up, and use a lot of 'aahhhs' as I'm thinking. I prefer narration because it is scripted and cleaner.

Let's take three big vintage tech youtubers and look at how they do things:

• LGR: For his bigger videos ("Tech Tales"), he scripts everything, narrates the entire script, then shoots video and b-roll to match his script, then edits them to his recorded narration. For these kinds of formal videos, he doesn't appear on camera.
  • Techmoan: Opposite of LGR. He shoots video of himself fiddling with things, edits it together in a way that is pleasing to him, then narrates live while it plays, sometimes going back over and over until he manages to say something without stumbling or running over time. He mentioned he has hundreds of audio takes sometimes. Once his main video chunk is done, he shoots informal bumpers (front and back) for his main content, the front introducing it, and the back giving summary thoughts. He does research, but it's in the form of notes and touchpoints, not a full script.
  • The 8-Bit Guy: A bit of a hybrid of both approaches. David writes a script for the entire episode, narrates the entire script, then shoots main and b-roll, edits that to the narration, creates diagrams and overlays those... but when he gets to a section of his narration that he doesn't have video for, or doesn't want to shoot video for it, he then puts himself on camera and shoots *himself* for that section. This hybrid approach can feel uneven if the on-camera portions are too frequent or oddly placed, but so far it hasn't been an issue.

And then there's vwestlife, which is 100% unscripted and live, then later edited together. I won't comment on that, as he is reading this thread so I'll let him comment for himself :)

How you want to proceed depends on your level of production quality and time you want to spend. LGR's approach produces the most polished content but takes the most time. Techmoan's approach seems like it would be the quickest, but the time you save might be eaten up with multiple audio takes and that takes practice. David's approach is a balance between production time and output quality. So whichever you think would work for you, go for it.

I've done full scripted (PC speaker recording) and full unscripted (Planet X3 coding stories) and I'm still trying to figure out what works for me. I like putting myself onscreen but I'm only happy ad-libbing when I do that, because any attempt I make at memorizing my lines or reading from a teleprompter comes across as stiff and weird. And I'm stiff and weird enough already, don't need to add to that!

2) Getting the word out - I'm leery of this because I don't want to be seen as a spammer or self-promoter. I'm not doing these videos to make money, just to have fun and show off parts of my collection I think will be of interest to others. I'm wondering where apart from interest groups like reddit you can post for people to see without being seen as a spammer/etc? Relying on the algorithm is pretty useless for a tiny channel like mine.

That is a really hard question with no easy answer. Posting your videos here on this forum is a start; you may also want to ask this same question in any other vintage computer groups (the classiccmp discord for example) to see if anyone else has ideas. Eventually, after about a year with at least 1-2 videos released per month, youtube will start recommending you to other people looking at similar content and you'll start getting views and subscriptions organically.

But, expect that to take a long time. I decided to follow "bastichb 64K" when he had about 100 subscribers and he decided to really push content on youtube; it took him about two years of putting out one or two videos a week before he got to today (3.72K subscribers). I did the same with another person ("It's a pixel thing") at about 100 subscribers and it took him 5 years to get to 9K subscribers. So is that good or bad? My "review" of how they're managing their channels is essentially:

• Pros: Consistent branding, consistent output, family-friendly, clear love and passion for their subject material, good production values
  • Cons: Not collaborating with other youtubers, no secondary social media presence (twitter, facebook, instagram -- pick at least one and promote there, you shouldn't do youtube only -- but also don't do all four since that will alienate some people because of the duplicate content), not doubling down on the content that gets the most views (after you have about 10 videos, look at the metrics for the ones that had the most engagement/views/comments and make MORE of those).
Also, in the case of "It's A Pixel Thing" specifically, his content scope is inconsistent which I think is really hurting his channel growth: He makes videos about the 8-bit and 16-bit systems of his youth... but he also loves modern game console rally racing and makes videos about that as well. That is a huge no-no -- the people interested in "top ten amiga exclusive games" or "history of the ZX Spectrum" are **NOT** interested in Dakar 18 or DiRT Rally 2.0 reviews, and vice versa. That not only screws up the youtube recommendation algorithms, but makes him lose subscriptions when the "wrong" content for that audience is uploaded to his channel. So, don't make that mistake if you can avoid it. (Or, if you want to make two completely different audiences of videos -- say, "vintage computers" and "deer hunting" -- make two different channels, one for each scope of content, so as to not confuse your subscribers or youtube. This is what LGR does; he has a second channel where he makes sandwiches (seriously) and a third channel where he puts random crap that isn't good enough to be its own video.)

And then there's vwestlife, which is 100% unscripted and live, then later edited together. I won't comment on that, as he is reading this thread so I'll let him comment for himself :)
I actually did use some B-roll footage in my latest video about the NCR 286 computer, such as to get better close-ups of the video chipset and SIMMs. I still don't script anything, but I do spend some time before I shoot the video thinking of approximately what I'm going to say, and finding relevant historical data, articles, and photos to use in the video. I also like to wait at least a day or two between recording the video and editing it, so I can review it with a fresh set of eyes and ears, and sometimes re-do certain scenes or add new ones.

And the YouTube algorithm is completely unpredictable at times. For example, I still have absolutely no idea how this video of mine -- about a light bulb! -- got over 100,000 views:

Add mine to the pile. Thanks to the reasonable levels, I watched it all the way through and was entertained and informed. You're really on your way and I look forward to what else you can produce. And some of the little easter eggs were cute (Carmen Sandiego and Rocket Ranger for "maps", the "pictures" of you on the "wall" behind you, etc.).

Appreciate the feedback! I did spend some time on that backdrop to make it feel more... well... real? I was actually surprised at how well it jived with the actual footage being greenscreened in front of it.

The humor segments were about 4x longer than they needed to be, but that's my only complaint (they were funny, but they went on way too long). And I especially appreciate you crediting your picture sources.

Yeah, I do agree some segments needed to be trimmed a bit. I was having too much fun with the greenscreen. Not all of it was about humor - the 'PC repair training' was there to break up the monotony of the typical Youtube 'Powerpoint Documentary', with a dash of levity. I think there will be more of that going forward in any documentaries I do. Not just me playing different parts but animations and other effects I can bring to bear to 'recreate' what doesn't exist on film.

Let's take three big vintage tech youtubers and look at how they do things:

[*]LGR: For his bigger videos ("Tech Tales"), he scripts everything, narrates the entire script, then shoots video and b-roll to match his script, then edits them to his recorded narration. For these kinds of formal videos, he doesn't appear on camera.

This is the method I tried with parts of my OSI 300 video. I actually played the narration and motioned along as I spoke. It's tricky though. You've got to know the script fairly well and anticipate things. I wasn't always able to do that and sometimes had to sub in unrelated footage to fill gaps.

[*]Techmoan: Opposite of LGR. He shoots video of himself fiddling with things, edits it together in a way that is pleasing to him, then narrates live while it plays, sometimes going back over and over until he manages to say something without stumbling or running over time. He mentioned he has hundreds of audio takes sometimes. Once his main video chunk is done, he shoots informal bumpers (front and back) for his main content, the front introducing it, and the back giving summary thoughts. He does research, but it's in the form of notes and touchpoints, not a full script.

I am attempting this with a video on unbuilt kit computers. But I am a chronic 'ah' or 'um' person. I'm fiddling with it to see if I can stand it, but I may end up just rerecording the audio as narration. Which will be hard. I'm also wary of changing styles. I've had quite a number of people compliment the 'high production value' on the two videos and I'm afraid to disappoint by going to a more 'conversational' format in the next, especially since I'm not a natural at it.

[*]The 8-Bit Guy: A bit of a hybrid of both approaches. David writes a script for the entire episode, narrates the entire script, then shoots main and b-roll, edits that to the narration, creates diagrams and overlays those... but when he gets to a section of his narration that he doesn't have video for, or doesn't want to shoot video for it, he then puts himself on camera and shoots *himself* for that section. This hybrid approach can feel uneven if the on-camera portions are too frequent or oddly placed, but so far it hasn't been an issue.

I often wondered about David. I watch his 'on camera' segments carefully and only catch the 'edit' transitions in stiched-together video occasionally. I used to think he must have some kind of teleprompter setup, but then I noticed his paper scripts occasionally there on the table in front of him. He must just be really good at speaking off the cuff on a subject without having to consult notes. I definitely am not good at that.

It seems to work for him. I know for me I can't sustain more than a minute or two without losing train of thought. I'm impressed by people that can do that.

How you want to proceed depends on your level of production quality and time you want to spend. LGR's approach produces the most polished content but takes the most time. Techmoan's approach seems like it would be the quickest, but the time you save might be eaten up with multiple audio takes and that takes practice. David's approach is a balance between production time and output quality. So whichever you think would work for you, go for it.

Yeah I just don't know on that one. It took me 2.5 months to produce the Computerland video. To get something quality requires time, which I don't always have a ton of. I think I could cut production time somewhat by actually doing *all* the research up front, and fully scripting and planning things out beforehand. Computerland was supposed to be a quick 10 minute tour of the BC88, but the more I got into that story the more I had to expand the documentary. I have to work on discipline.

I think my goal would be to do a video like that every other month, and just do shorter 'machine-specific' 'tour' videos in between to keep things going. But having gotten lots of compliments on the production quality of the last two videos, I'm reluctant to drop the quality.

I've done full scripted (PC speaker recording) and full unscripted (Planet X3 coding stories) and I'm still trying to figure out what works for me. I like putting myself onscreen but I'm only happy ad-libbing when I do that, because any attempt I make at memorizing my lines or reading from a teleprompter comes across as stiff and weird. And I'm stiff and weird enough already, don't need to add to that!

Adlibbing is a skill. I just don't have it at the moment, although perhaps with practice I'll get there. I just have to kill my 'uhhhh' habit. It's brutal. You don't seem to have that issue on camera.

That is a really hard question with no easy answer. Posting your videos here on this forum is a start; you may also want to ask this same question in any other vintage computer groups (the classiccmp discord for example) to see if anyone else has ideas. Eventually, after about a year with at least 1-2 videos released per month, youtube will start recommending you to other people looking at similar content and you'll start getting views and subscriptions organically.

I'm kind of reluctant to even post them here - I feel like that's a violation of the forum's purpose.

But, expect that to take a long time. I decided to follow "bastichb 64K" when he had about 100 subscribers and he decided to really push content on youtube; it took him about two years of putting out one or two videos a week before he got to today (3.72K subscribers). I did the same with another person ("It's a pixel thing") at about 100 subscribers and it took him 5 years to get to 9K subscribers. So is that good or bad? My "review" of how they're managing their channels is essentially:

• Pros: Consistent branding, consistent output, family-friendly, clear love and passion for their subject material, good production values
  • Cons: Not collaborating with other youtubers, no secondary social media presence (twitter, facebook, instagram -- pick at least one and promote there, you shouldn't do youtube only -- but also don't do all four since that will alienate some people because of the duplicate content), not doubling down on the content that gets the most views (after you have about 10 videos, look at the metrics for the ones that had the most engagement/views/comments and make MORE of those).
Also, in the case of "It's A Pixel Thing" specifically, his content scope is inconsistent which I think is really hurting his channel growth: He makes videos about the 8-bit and 16-bit systems of his youth... but he also loves modern game console rally racing and makes videos about that as well. That is a huge no-no -- the people interested in "top ten amiga exclusive games" or "history of the ZX Spectrum" are **NOT** interested in Dakar 18 or DiRT Rally 2.0 reviews, and vice versa. That not only screws up the youtube recommendation algorithms, but makes him lose subscriptions when the "wrong" content for that audience is uploaded to his channel. So, don't make that mistake if you can avoid it. (Or, if you want to make two completely different audiences of videos -- say, "vintage computers" and "deer hunting" -- make two different channels, one for each scope of content, so as to not confuse your subscribers or youtube. This is what LGR does; he has a second channel where he makes sandwiches (seriously) and a third channel where he puts random crap that isn't good enough to be its own video.)

Yeah I've seen LGR foods. It's interesting! And Blerbs.

I'm still feeling out what I want to do with this. I left the channel name as just 'BradH' as I didn't want to commit specifically to retro tech - I feel like that field is getting far too crowded. But I realize it's not really a good descriptive channel name nor could it be protected if it came to that.

To me having 120 subscribers is a huge compliment, and 1000 views is amazing. I'm in awe of guys like Clint - I have no idea how he finds the energy to crank out as much content as he does. I know right now I don't have that. Even if I had the energy I'm not sure I'd want to be a pro-Youtuber. The pressure to find new content, the work involved. And the money is not that great, unless you're in the very top 3%. You have to work like a dog to even just make a living at it. I've no idea how channels with 50k subs and 20-30k average views are doing it fulltime like they say they are and not burning out or going bankrupt.

I've been doing a lot of research on this - looking at channels of varying success and tracing back to their first videos. It does seem like in the majority of cases, they will spend a few years putting out videos that get relatively few views, and then suddenly they hit the jackpot with an algorithm winner, and then suddenly subs come in and views start picking up across the board.

And then there's guys like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsIlJ9eYylZQcyfMOPNUz9w/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid

I stumbled on him after watching Tiger King. 3 years and he's at 1M subs. And I don't quite get it. Most of his videos are basically powerpoint slideshows and some adlibbing. And his adlibbing kind of wanders or circles the airport at times. Not really sure how he got to 1M so quickly while high production value stuff like Retro Recipes are still in the teens. Know your SEO I guess.

Last edited:
I actually did use some B-roll footage in my latest video about the NCR 286 computer, such as to get better close-ups of the video chipset and SIMMs. I still don't script anything, but I do spend some time before I shoot the video thinking of approximately what I'm going to say, and finding relevant historical data, articles, and photos to use in the video. I also like to wait at least a day or two between recording the video and editing it, so I can review it with a fresh set of eyes and ears, and sometimes re-do certain scenes or add new ones.

And the YouTube algorithm is completely unpredictable at times. For example, I still have absolutely no idea how this video of mine -- about a light bulb! -- got over 100,000 views:

Your fake solar calculator video did amazing too. But that one I can kind of understand... I had no idea people were faking that at all. That was a great video/eye opener!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back