256MB PC133 ram

20GB hard drive

8MB Trident Blade 3D graphics

FIC FR33E motherboard

2 DVD-RW drives

3.5 floppy drive

AC97 audio

Windows 98SE OS

The PC is working and needs a new home. $25 or best offer. Shipping from Alaska.

$_1.jpg

I think you'd be better off selling it locally if there's an interest in old computers in your area.

Computers of that class are still fairly common pretty much everywhere and it'd cost 2-3 times your asking price to ship it anywhere.

Unfortunatly theres no interest in my area. I have 30 of these old computers 1993-2003 era to ship. I have shipped these PCs before on different sites, and shipping was about 60 bucks average if shipping to the lower 48. giving these away for free is my other option but the 25 bucks helps with packing material or boxes.

If I read the motherboard manual, here's a rundown on the motherboard if it matters.

1. mATX form factor
2 VIA Apollo (VT8601T) chipset
3. Has support of Tuallies
4. 2xSDRAM slots support up to 1GB total
5. Integrated video (no AGP slot)
6. Supports a single floppy
7. 2 PCI, 1 ISA slots; 1 AMR slot
8. 2 rear, 2 front USB 1.1
9. ATA support for UDMA100 (mode 5)
10. COM1, COM2, LPT ports
11. ACPI support

Hope this helps folks.

I had one of those machines in college with Windows me. was a 1ghz machine but I never knew they accepted Tulatians. The CD holder in the front of the case was always a nice touch

The CD holder in the front of the case was always a nice touch

They broke, a lot! I was a store tech for Best Buy when these were at their height in popularity, the most common issue with them was that damned CD case thing in front would snap off. Also, they were quite a pain to work on IIRC, but not as bad as those small HP models that came out around the same time.

Also, they were quite a pain to work on IIRC, but not as bad as those small HP models that came out around the same time.

Do you mean the HP e-PCs? I've still got one and haven't found any particular difficulties in working with them. I know that they enjoyed a bit of popularity with RV crowd as you could run one from the 12V cigar lighter.

E-PC_C10.jpg

Do you mean the HP e-PCs? I've still got one and haven't found any particular difficulties in working with them. I know that they enjoyed a bit of popularity with RV crowd as you could run one from the 12V cigar lighter.

No, not those. The HP Pavillions from 2000 and 2001. These things:

HP_PAVILION_8750.JPG

A friend of mine who worked for Chrysler bought one of these 'Millennium' editions though a company purchase plan. It seemed to be a dead-end as far as upgrades goes. IIRC, the chipset was either proprietary or out of the the mainstream. Tried to upgrade the OS to XP for the sake of a better browser, and that was a no go. Also, I was unable to roundup the proper driver support to get XP to fly. Another thing was that I don't think BIOS upgrades were offered for that model - at least the ones which HP marketed to Chrysler. I think I stripped it of its few usable components and tossed the rest, including the case. Windows 98ME was a PITA.

Last edited:
A problem with many cheap PIII systems of the late 90s and early 2000s is that they used junk chipsets that crippled expansion. The most popular was the i810, which were widely used. The problem though is that OEMs like HP, Dell and Gateway used the early i810 with the A2 stepping that only supported celery or the later cut down version that didn't support Tualatin or even Coppermine-T parts, leaving you with a maximum CPU speed of 1 GHz and a RAM cap of 512 MB.

All hope isn't lost on those machines though. Many of them used standard mATX motherboards and you could swap in a faster P4 board or an Athlon board. The only issue you'd usually have to sort out is rewiring the FP header for the front panel buttons.

If you could find the rare i810e2 that did support Tualatin parts, a 1.4 GHz Tualatin was roughly equivalent to a 1.7 GHz P4.

Price lowered to 15 dollars or best offer, and i'm willing to provide discounts on shipping. The motherboard inside is a retail board, not the original but a goodie.

Just a quick note for any one, I sent the OP some money for the parts only as he promised yesterday, and he has not confirmed receipt of the money nor am I able to send him any new PMs as his box is full. I am really hoping this guy is the real deal and that I did not just send some money into the void.

Finally received the stuff yesterday, and it was packed well and exactly as the OP specified. So apart from a lack in timely communication this transaction went well.

Back