• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Found an 8052-AH-BASIC

syzygy

Experienced Member
I have been looking for one for a while and ordered one of these. Been playing around with AT89S52 (a modernized compatible) and burning the BASIC into onboard memory. But, I could not resist getting the genuine article - well, I am hoping it is the genuine article.

I always wanted to build a little system with the 8052-AH-BASIC. This had an onboard BASIC burned in so one did not have to learn *real* programming as with the others in the MCS-51 series or the predecessors. Consequently, there were a lot of projects published at the time using the chip. I used to read about these but never had the time or $$ to go further.

Did anyone here have experience with the 8052-AH-BASIC?

I do hope it is genuine and not relabeled or some other such nonsense. I thought it was worth the risk as I have not seen one for sale in over a year.

*sigh*

My thinking now is...likely one like this or this or this but I should wait to receive it and check it out, since I don't know for sure.

Oh well, likely, $21.91 --> flushed. I wonder what they used?

I made a PCB using smARTWORK back in the day, basically the reference design from the BASIC-52 manual, with more sockets.

When you run BASIC you can save your programs to EPROM, so it's 8052-AH-BASIC + 32K RAM + 32K EPROM.

Other configs were 8031/8032 with external EPROM, that would also run BASIC but won't save the code to EPROM.

Or of course I could write code in assembler or PL/M or C...

Still have all that stuff kicking around. Documented on my website as well.

I am not sure why you think you have flushed money down the drain?

If it is not the genuine article upon arrival, ask for your money back.

It is claimed to be the P8052AH-BASIC - so it should be...

Dave

I went to your page and checked out your board – very nice.

As I mentioned, I did want to build something with the 8052-AH-BASIC since back in the day. Recently, I started to breadboard the AT89S52, but had to to stop, box, and get back to finishing other projects that I have started (see here).

I like your design. I want to just try something minimal, but still usable. Jan Axelson’s Microcontroller Idea Book features the 8052-BASIC and has a ton of information in it, including designs.

I think I am going to, eventually, breadboard this guy's simple 3 chip design. He still has a couple of GPIO available and should give me plenty to play with. One other feature I would like to add some video out using Geoff's terminal - but not the full board, just the composite video out seen here. I have programmed that PIC before and it should be manageable for me. So, I would program the chip and save the BASIC program using using a modern computer as a terminal, but the final project would have video output.

I am not sure why you think you have flushed money down the drain?

If it is not the genuine article upon arrival, ask for your money back.

It is claimed to be the P8052AH-BASIC - so it should be...

Dave
The short answer is that I should know better.

I don't have it yet, so I don't know what I will get. The pic in the advert looks like this one. Note the (2021) in the description of that advert. I don't think Intel was making an 8052-AH-BASIC in 2021. I think it is a remake and not by Intel - to me, that means it is not the genuine chip. Is that grounds to ask for money back? The seller, does not offer returns, and it was ordered from another country. Is what was sent accurately described? How much is my time worth? Like I said, I should have known better - maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. I bought two genuine AT89S52 from Microchip for less, so I should have known better :)

It also appears to be described as a 6845 controller as well...

No, Intel were not making these in 2021.

If it arrives and is not what is pictured - I would just ask eBay for my money back.

It doesn't matter if the seller states "no returns" if they shipped the item that they were not advertising for sale...

Dave

It also appears to be described as a 6845 controller as well...

No, Intel were not making these in 2021.

If it arrives and is not what is pictured - I would just ask eBay for my money back.

It doesn't matter if the seller states "no returns" if they shipped the item that they were not advertising for sale...

Dave

Yeah, I see your point.

To be accurate, the pic in the advert from which I ordered looks like pics of the genuine chip, based on the position of the M and C after Intel. The one from the advert marked (2021) has the M and C before Intel. If I can determine that it is genuine - hooray and a really good deal. If I can figure out that it is not genuine, boo and boohoo.

Back