• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Franklin Rex

hunterjwizzard

Veteran Member
Anyone else ever heard of these things?

I'm very excited. I had one when they were only mostly obsolete, and today I discovered mine survived 20 years or tech purges fully intact! I have the card in protective case, docking station, and even the original box and documentation. I'll post pictures later, but I'm curious if this is something others are interested in.

Here we go, found my camera(also somewhat vintage) and got a picture of it:

wszkBHv.jpg

I put an i386 CPU in the frame for scale. Its the size of a PCMCIA card, which I think was actually a pretty neat concept. Instead of trying to use those dodgy IR links, you had a serial docking station for home, then on the go it just went in your computer's PCMCIA slot!

Anyway. I don't own a windows 95/98 era laptop right now, so when I get time it will be using the serial dock. The docking station takes batteries and it looks like when I mothballed this thing 20 odd years ago I forgot to take them out. Luckily, it turns out I've had 2 docks for it this whole time! I found a second one new-in-box in that box I've been saving as well.

This should be a fun project assuming I happen to have the software still...

When the StarTAC was still usable I used the clip-on organizer accessory for a few months and that was essentially the REX in a different package. I was so used to the Palm interface at that point I did find it very annoying how data entry worked and that to really take advantage of it you needed to sync it to your PC regularly.

Back