I'm interested in online access to community mainframes
and slightly smaller computers.

Recently I've found these two:

telnet cyberspace.org

(A Sun/OS kinda thing)

telnet login.cray-cyber.org

(A real cray YMP!)

Enjoy!

Does anyone else have any good connection sites?

.T.I.M

Tell us if you explore!

Tell us if you explore!

I forgot to say, if/when you try these out, tell us your adventures with them on here!

I think they're a lot of fun.

.T.I.M

Re: Free online mainframe access.

TIML said:
Free online mainframe access.

I'm interested in online access to community mainframes
and slightly smaller computers.

<snipe>

Enjoy!

Does anyone else have any good connection sites?

.T.I.M

Are you familiar with Howard Harte's website?

http://www.imsai8080.com/computers/s100/northstar.html

He has a couple of S-100 machines on-line to play with (CP/M).

--T

IBM Mainframe access

IBM Mainframe access

Does anyone know of free or inexpensive access to an IBM mainframe running OS390, or zOS?

Thanks

$ uname -a
OpenBSD grex.cyberspace.org 3.8 GENERIC#0 i386

cyberspace.org is OBSD :)

Updated version, too, and a great choice for a public computer.

UserID and Password

UserID and Password

Hi

Thx for posting the info.

Btw can any one provide me the username and the password to access those sites?

It will be really good..

or else can any tell me any other cheap or free mainframe access sites?

Thanks and Regards
Naveen.R

Access to Mainframe

Access to Mainframe

Hey

I cant understand,what u guy are telling.

There is no such link to request for the user-name and password.

Can any one help to access the mainframe from my home PC?

Is it possible?

If so please mail me or post a reply for this Plz..

Its very urgent..

Thanks!

I cant understand,what u guy are telling.

That may be unavoidable.

There is no such link to request for the user-name and password.

I must disagree. I just went to the websites and there they are, plain as day.
One says "Get a Free Account". The other says "Access Request".
If you can't find them, look harder.
(Hint: telnet is not a website)

Does anyone know of free or inexpensive access to an IBM mainframe running OS390, or zOS?

Thanks

Hercules is an emulator for z-series mainframes to run under Linux, Windows, and I think also MacOS.
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

then hit the eDonkey/ed2k P2P file-sharing, and you'll find quite a few OS's, ready to drop in, with config files. They have zOS 1.4-1.6, OS/390, VM/ESA 2.4, zVM 4.4, etc...
Be prepared to spend ALOT of time downloading, especially the newer stuff - zVM 4.4 is like 7GB, as well as zOS 1.4-1.6 OS/390 is OK, as is VM/ESA

Tony

I had that running at my office a few years ago and put MVS on there (I think they either included it or linked to it). Found a few free 3270 emulators to connect with, and then quickly figured out that I didn't know much about the commands to type. I did some VERY minor admin stuff and also set it up to allow telnet.. then I think I realized how much disk space it was taking and realized I probably wasn't smart enough to make it useful at that time so it went bye bye.

Still, sorta entertaining. I wonder if we could get some classic games to run on it (spacewars???). A few years later I became a backup mainframe security op however I rarely had time to learn commands outside of "top secret" (an admin module on os/390) so I still probably wouldn't have a clue what to do.

- J

...I think I realized how much disk space it was taking and realized I probably wasn't smart enough to make it useful at that time so it went bye bye.

- J

Exactly right....if you're not paying attention, you could easily suck up anywhere from 10GB to 40GB having multiple OS configs. You figure, zOS images ar about 6GB per version, I at one time had vm/370, MVS, zOS 1.4-1.6, zVM 4.4, 2 different versions of OS/390, VM/ESA, VSE/ESA,etc.. I was sucking up nearly 40GB.

And this is using compressed images!

I finally just got an external 2.5" 120GB USB-powered drive for OS's, Virtual Machines, and images. It currently has about 800mb free!!!!!

Tony

zOS images ar[e] about 6GB per version

Wow, so IBM has been making bloated OSes longer than Microsoft has. I'm curious: what do you get in that 6GB? (I mean other than a corporate philosophy) Certainly not a crufty GUI or a big ol' web browser...

Or is zOS a modern OS that actually has a crufty GUI and a big ol' web browser? I'm ignorant of everything mainframe.

The PDP Planet website:

http://www.pdpplanet.com/

invites visitors to apply for and use accounts on a real, restored DECsystem-10 or an XKL Toad-1. They both run versions of the TOPS operating system. I have accounts there - haven't used them in a while, but they are fun.

The site is part of Paul Allen's DEC collection/restoration activites.

- Earl

Wow, so IBM has been making bloated OSes longer than Microsoft has.
6 gig means nothing to a mainframe that would run zOS.

Certainly not a crufty GUI or a big ol' web browser...
Why would a mainframe have a web browser or a GUI? None of the big iron I've worked with has had a GUI or even X11 itself installed. Just a command line version of *NIX and various programming compliers. I've only worked with Supers, so I don't know if the same applies to Mainframes or not.

-VK

Wow, so IBM has been making bloated OSes longer than Microsoft has. I'm curious: what do you get in that 6GB? (I mean other than a corporate philosophy) Certainly not a crufty GUI or a big ol' web browser...

Well, I don't know about the really high-end stuff, but our AS/400 OS takes about 5 GB, of course that is with all the networking, compilers, Office Vision, several Client Access versions and all the goodies that come in the base OS realease.

No GUI here. GUI is for two things: graphic artists and people too stupid to remember simple commands. They do have a virtual console that runs under Windows or OS/2, but we rarely use it.

Of course, for giving up the pretty picture, we get reliability. Even when the air conditioning went out last summer and three hard drives (out of 30 or so) overheated and died, the system had no unplanned down time. Everything was raid protected, so we stayed in business.

Also, we can support some 600 or so direct-connect devices (terminals & printers) and thousands of network connections. I would like to see any Win server do that...

Incidently, we do have a Win 2000 server running on a netfinity card integrated into the AS/400. There is something to be said for the quality of the hardware, as we have nary a problem from that Win system. On the other hand, when we were running a variety of Win 2000 servers on a variety of PC hardware configurations, we had a lot of trouble with them.

Or is zOS a modern OS that actually has a crufty GUI and a big ol' web browser? I'm ignorant of everything mainframe.

6GB is EVERYTHING: OS, Networking, ISPF, JES2, Websphere, CICS, IMS and DB/2 databases, development system+compilers, I mean EVERYTHING!
These are images of the ADCD (App Developer CD) systems, so they have basically just about everything. Also has a Unix emulation environment.
Nifty!

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back