• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Getting back into older PC's with my first 486 Build in almost 30 years

Taking that weitek out was some chore. IT was touch and go and at several points I thought this is a very bad Idea. I got it out but chiped a bit of plastic out of the corner of the socket.. Just superficial thankfully. I disabled the weitek in the bios and ran the cachechk,. Here are the results.
View attachment 1274923

Seems to be no change at all. So I guess I should put it back in.
oh well, sorry it was just a guess

I'm out of ideas now

It was a good guess. It made sense to me. Im happy to have tried at least. Guess its just a really early board with a slow bus. Could this new eBay ram I bought be inferior somehow?
the RAM has no means of informing the motherboard of its quality

even if it was, it wouldn't slow down, it would just crash

Taking that weitek out was some chore.
A few years back I invested in an OKI PGA-X just for this sort of thing. It's a PGA extractor/inserter. Here's a photo:
17096790396048906468239935700953.jpg

It is absolutely the bomb for safe removal and installation of up to a 68060 or Socket 4 Pentium (not a typo; 5V Socket 4), and everything down to a 286 in PGA, and everything in between, including 486, Socket 5/7 Pentiums, and anything in PGA with a robust package.

There are even Socket 370 industrial boards (with pre-FC-PGA Celerons) without ZIF sockets, and this beast pulls and pushes everything I've tried with no broken packages or pins so far; not FC-PGA though, as I don't think that package would stand up to the forces involved.

Ok Lets backtrack a bit. I decided to try the MegaImage32 sound card in this tower. Problem is I CANT find drivers that work for it. I could use some help with this.
All the Opti 82C930 drivers here tell me "the sound card is not installed"

index.php
index.php

On a side note this is the last thing to do. I have everything else configured the way I want it. Networking, IO ports are working, etc. Just need to bring the sound!

So those drivers didnt work. Those and all the others ones I have tried all basically say they cannot find the device. I tried 6 different packages. I got frustrated and took the sound card out.

I put in the Vibra 16. I know I had a sound Blaster 16 at some point. Its hard to remember all the sound cards I ever had but I know i had one for a while. It may not be the best but its what I remember, easy to install, and highly supported.

I found the ISO for it here: https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1002&menustate=0

And It worked fine no conflicts. Maybe its not the best. But its good enough and it was problem free. Dont know what to do with that other card if its broken or just the wrong software...

Back